Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back in Garth's good books

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I have said this before and I will say it again. Garth Crooks is stealing a living from the BBC tax payer. Gross got a shout and I agree with that but as others have stated, if he actually cared to watch the game he would have picked Gilmour for a start. Muppet!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I still don't think he actually writes it himself. Although I will concede that it's probably more difficult than it looks and to do it properly (watching every minute of every single game) is possibly not worth the money he gets for it.

The Eze entry is pretty weird – essentially slags him off for being a drama queen for the penalty, but picks him anyway!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He's bucked the trend with the write up for our players. It's mainly about how good we are and not a couple of cursory lines followed by 3 paragraphs about how crap whoever we played are.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The comments on Lewis Dunk are particularly interesting and absolutely bang on. The fact he hasn't been given more of a chance at international level is absolutely criminal. Even those people who don't rate him at all (aka Palace fans) would have to admit that position has been a problem position and England have tried some absolutely gash players at centre-half over the past 7 or 8 years. I can only assume their argument is that he excels at playing out from the back which isn't the way England play, but the actual defending isn't markedly better than some of the crap players we've had in that position. I'd disagree but I can't think of anything else beyond a pathological dislike for the Albion or for Dunk himself. :shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He's bucked the trend with the write up for our players. It's mainly about how good we are and not a couple of cursory lines followed by 3 paragraphs about how crap whoever we played are.
Probably because we played Wolves. He's got nothing to say about them. It would be a different story if we'd beaten Chelsea, Liverpool, THE Leeds etc.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
He does have a way with words - the Wolves players having "towels and sun cream under their arms"... so many questions 🤡

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I still don't think he actually writes it himself. Although I will concede that it's probably more difficult than it looks and to do it properly (watching every minute of every single game) is possibly not worth the money he gets for it.

The Eze entry is pretty weird – essentially slags him off for being a drama queen for the penalty, but picks him anyway!

He really really took umbrage that Palace sacked Viera, he still says it was unjust and has not had a good word since.

He can’t admit that 13 goals in 5 games under Hodgson isn’t as good as no shots on goal in 4 games under Viera…it’s almost as though there is agenda ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He really really took umbrage that Palace sacked Viera, he still says it was unjust and has not had a good word since.

He can’t admit that 13 goals in 5 games under Hodgson isn’t as good as no shots on goal in 4 games under Viera…it’s almost as though there is agenda ?
The same agenda that he had when Chris Hughton was sacked probably :smile:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
And still Gilmour doesn’t get a mention. Not grumpy about 5 Albion players getting picked, but a lot of people’s MOM is again overlooked for this game
I read somewhere that Whoscored stats are in general quite skewed towards attacking players getting goals and assists. I reckon that line up makes sense if you think of it, they are all players who scored/assisted in games this weekend, or were otherwise very attacking.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I have no agenda, apart from wanting Palace to fail, but I still find the sacking of Vieira very odd. Palace have been flat track bullies all season: - lose to the top half, get points against the bottom half. They had an odd run of fixtures where they played all of the top sides, then sacked him before the run of easier games started. They weren't at all bad against us, we were just better. That's not a surprise given that eighteen months ago they'd been playing low block, low possession football. Wetting the bed and reverting back to type with seemingly no thought about the long term is fairly typical of Palace, but was pretty unjust to Vieira. Curse you Palace, as if you werenn't already bad enough, now you've made me agree with Garth Crooks.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I see they're still going with that, 'The Crooks of the Matter' wrap up.

Good grief.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Crooks almost certainly doesn’t write all of that, if any. Ghost written by an intern in his pompous style, Crooks gives it the once over, tweaks it if need be, job done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've just had a quick look at the BBS after he got half his team from Albion this week, and they seem to dislike his stupidity more than we do.

In fact this comment stood out:

"Today's team of the week is such utter nonsense, i think it must have been written by an AI bot that gets all its info from northstand chat."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here