Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BA Cabin Crew Strike

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am not sure the figure that is being reported is correct?

They get £2/3 an hour whilst away - some of the stop overs are for 2 or 3 days on top of the basic wage, plus they also get a taking off and landing bonus - granted that is for the company I work for, however I can't imagine BA are paid less.

They then get x amount for food in resort, which most of them keep hold off.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Sack them all, let the pilots serve the tea and cakes whilst it is on Autopilot , who needs stewards and stewardesses on a plane these days ? Bring on pilot less planes too before they get any big ideas either

Install vending machines

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
To this wage you have to add several thousand pounds worth of staff travel benefits although you have to be with BA for a no. of years before you qualify. One free return flight per year (e.g. to Australia) for you and your family plus heavily discounted fares on BA and other airlines. My brother works for BA (ground staff) and is always jetting off with his wife to USA in particular for free or for peanuts, most trips they get upgraded to club or first class, kids had concessions till early 20s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
16k is a bollocks wage. And the CEO of BA is a complete cock. Fair play, and good luck, to them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To this wage you have to add several thousand pounds worth of staff travel benefits although you have to be with BA for a no. of years before you qualify. One free return flight per year (e.g. to Australia) for you and your family plus heavily discounted fares on BA and other airlines. My brother works for BA (ground staff) and is always jetting off with his wife to USA in particular for free or for peanuts, most trips they get upgraded to club or first class, kids had concessions till early 20s.

Many jobs have perks or other stuff as part of the remuneration package though.

16k is still a shit wage for the job they do. You might be able to fly to Australia every year but probably cannot afford anywhere to stay.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I am not sure the figure that is being reported is correct?

They get £2/3 an hour whilst away - some of the stop overs are for 2 or 3 days on top of the basic wage, plus they also get a taking off and landing bonus - granted that is for the company I work for, however I can't imagine BA are paid less.

They then get x amount for food in resort, which most of them keep hold off.

At BA mixed fleet they are paid £3 an hour on top of their basic salary from check in until check out . So you're right that this is paid for the duration of a 3 day trip for example. But they do NOT receive any amount extra for food or a take off and landing bonus . Although shouldnt a landing be routine rather than a bonus

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011

Any BA crew that strike will lose their concessions for themselves and friends and family as they are a non contractual benefit

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007

With a return fare to Miami standby £256.75 I wouldn't call it peanuts. With 41 years service on BA the last time I flew to MIA I was "lucky" enough to get a jump seat. It was either this or rent a car again, find a hotel, don't believe the discount prices the internet is cheaper, pay for food for the day then trudge back to the airport to try again. For £443.75 I could upgrade to Premium standby but if Club is full I can travel in economy with no refund. For a bargain £400 I could fly standby to Sydney but could also be offloaded in Singapore, check hotel prices there. The only benefit left is the free ticket which is based on service and only costs £160 to go to Miami. If your brother nearly always gets upgraded let me know how he gets round the new FLY system that ensures you travel in no higher cabin than you're entitled to.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Well I am ex BA and have a pretty high priority and the 'free flights' can be a nightmare. Firstly they are far from free and are pretty well always standby. Two years ago we went to Vegas and at the airport coming back there were staff who had been waiting 3 days to get back but couldn't as the flights were full. Turning up at McCarren waiting for 2 hours to be turned away and have to go find a hotel and come back next day and try again isn't much of a perk.

Last year my daughter was stranded in Singapore and I was forced to cough up £800 for a one way to Heathrow.

The hotel discounts you mentioned are c**p, better prices on booking.com

I've pretty well given up using the 'free' flights given the hassle and uncertainty, just not worth it

Last edited:

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Unless of course there is a negotiated settlement between BA and the Union which includes the retention of these.

Yes any agreement would be that staff travel is reinstated. During the last strikes I believe Unite took BA to court over the staff travel being taken away and BA lost , so the might not even do it this time

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do cabin crew save lives? Really? I would imagine if a plane was going down hard, you're all dead anyway.
Either way, cabin crew's main role is not to save lives, it's customer service.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Do cabin crew save lives? Really? I would imagine if a plane was going down hard, you're all dead anyway.

A couple of "recent" emergencies where crew saved lives would be the Hudson River and Emirates flight in Dubai. Not to mention that they are all trained in first aid to a very good standard . Who else is going to help you at 38,000 feet?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
At BA mixed fleet they are paid £3 an hour on top of their basic salary from check in until check out . So you're right that this is paid for the duration of a 3 day trip for example. But they do NOT receive any amount extra for food or a take off and landing bonus . Although shouldnt a landing be routine rather than a bonus ��

Haha yes, landing bonus would be a worry!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well I am ex BA and have a pretty high priority and the 'free flights' can be a nightmare. Firstly they are far from free and are pretty well always standby. Two years ago we went to Vegas and at the airport coming back there were staff who had been waiting 3 days to get back but couldn't as the flights were full. Turning up at McCarren waiting for 2 hours to be turned away and have to go find a hotel and come back next day and try again isn't much of a perk.

Last year my daughter was stranded in Singapore and I was forced to cough up £800 for a one way to Heathrow.

The hotel discounts you mentioned are c**p, better prices on booking.com

I've pretty well given up using the 'free' flights given the hassle and uncertainty, just not worth it

I am sorry, but they are the risks of standby travel, you can't complain if you are stranded.

I assume these people checked the loads before they went? considered LA or another airport?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007

I applied for cabin crew many years ago and fell at the first hurdle. Cabin crews main role is the safety and well being of the passenger, in my ignorance I answered the same as your opinion, customer service. I have friends who are cabin crew and as well as being fluent in other languages than English are also medically trained. The job is not as glamorous as people think, how many times do you want to go to New York, a girl I know sits in the hotel watching a film on an overnight stop as she's bored with going out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A couple of "recent" emergencies where crew saved lives would be the Hudson River and Emirates flight in Dubai. Not to mention that they are all trained in first aid to a very good standard . Who else is going to help you at 38,000 feet?

Good points

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here