B.B.C 3 to be axed ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
now that's the real question, in a world of iplayer and DVR the whole +1 is pretty redundant.

The BBC still has to consider that little old lady watching on a 30 year old black and white TV with a basic set top box and no VCR :lol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
now that's the real question, in a world of iplayer and DVR the whole +1 is pretty redundant.

I'd find it useful. The BBC does have a habit of scheduling good stuff on BBC2 (films, QI Xl) at the same time as Match of the Day and Foreign Murder Drama

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
BBC Three has been getting killed by E4, who target the same demographic.

Whilst E4 can load up on American imports to stuff their schedules, the BBC have a strict quota on how much non original programming they can broadcast. So BBC Three's imported programming allowance is all taken up by Family Guy and American Dad. This leaves them with a shitload of time to fill, within which they're only allowed so many hours of repeats, again so they don't deviate too far from their original remit to provide original programming.

Between E4's schedule dominating endless repeats of Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and other US comedies and dramas, their original programming has had far more success than the Beeb's. Shows like The Inbetweeners, Phone Shop, Mad Fat Diary and more recently, Troy, have been well received and made the transition to Channel 4, as well as even the big screen (in the case of the Inbetweeners). Now I'm no big fan of E4 and I'm certainly not in their target demographic, but they're doing a shit ton better than BBC 3 is. The piss poor quality of BBC 3 programming is frankly insulting, and some of their "shock" docs about teenagers shagging about or brides and grooms not actually seeing eye to eye really do add absolutely NOTHING of value to the corporation's output.

Whilst BBC Four may not attract quite as many viewers, it does fulfill a large quota of the BBC's factual and cultural programming output, which if it were scrapped, they'd have to find a home for on the two main channels instead, which then eats into the time available for their box office shows like Strictly, Top Gear and Doctor Who.

BBC Three's highlights to date include Little Britain, Gavin and Stacey, Monkey Dust, Being Human and Him & Her... But that's really about it. In eleven years of broadcasting that simply isn't enough bankable TV, by which I mean shows that will stand the test of time to be remembered and which can be licensed overseas and sold as DVD box sets.

I think people just have to accept that their core demographic are already better served by E4, as well as ITV 2, Sky One and various other more obscure cable/satellite channels. Whereas BBC Four viewers can really only point to Sky Arts as being even close to comparable.

As a public service broadcaster the BBC are required to offer a diverse range of programming, targeting different demographics, even if that means producing output which only caters to a very select audience at times. Their BBC Three output simply isn't of a high enough quality to count against any of the criteria they need to fulfill and as such should be scrapped so it can focus on higher quality programming such as the output of BBC Four.

The only downside is that it limits the opportunities for new writers coming up with comedy output as the Beeb no longer have a channel to trial it on. But given how few of these comedies commissioned by BBC Three ever make it to a second series, you can't really blame them for giving up completely.

Good riddance I say. There's already enough lowest common denominator mass market guff on the BBC with the likes of all their Saturday night BBC One output. Let them stick to their original remit as a public service broadcaster and focus on more high quality factual programming to sit alongside some more well thought out original drama and comedy shows.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I hope this doesn't mean the Jonah Takalua spin-off show is gonna be axed. BBC Three were meant to have secured the rights for it following on from the Ja'mie spin-off.

Hoping it would be the best of Chris Lilley's output, Jonah is the funniest character from his series'.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The main petition has now hit 100,000 signatures in 24 hours and is increasing by about 2,000 every hour.

Now, with that amount of protest against the decision, surely the BBC will have to do a 6 Music style U-turn as it clearly isnt in the public's interest.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
BBC Three has been getting killed by E4, who target the same demographic.

Whilst E4 can load up on American imports to stuff their schedules, the BBC have a strict quota on how much non original programming they can broadcast. So BBC Three's imported programming allowance is all taken up by Family Guy and American Dad. This leaves them with a shitload of time to fill, within which they're only allowed so many hours of repeats, again so they don't deviate too far from their original remit to provide original programming.

You say that, but figures show that BBC3 has consistently been defeating Channel 4 in the ratings in the past couple of years, never mind E4. I expect this decision is politically motivated, as much as it is financially motivated. However, if you look at it from a financial perspective, would these cuts be necessary if the BBC hadn't uprooted its operation from London to Salford, again for politically motivated reasons, which has resulted in at least one key presenter leaving the corporation for a rival broadcaster recently and has also seen them have difficulty attracting guests for programmes that are made there.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The main petition has now hit 100,000 signatures in 24 hours and is increasing by about 2,000 every hour.

Now, with that amount of protest against the decision, surely the BBC will have to do a 6 Music style U-turn as it clearly isnt in the public's interest.

Hmm, personally, I'd sign a petition demanding it's removal.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there

Well I signed the petition, 100.000 and rising is a pretty loud protest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here