Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.B.C 3 to be axed ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
BBC4 gets MUCH lower viewing figures than BBC3, yet that gets saved - as does BBC Parliament. BBC4 could EASILY be merged with BBC2

Does it? i've never seen figures that say, and lot of BBC3's biggest programmes are repeats of BBC1 stuff.

They need to make £100m savings, that's pretty much BBC3's budget, and almost twice that of BBC4.

It seems pretty sensible to cut the thing that it well-catered for everywhere else rather than cutting everything abit (again)

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
as i understand it they want to make it online only. its focused at the younger audience, who spend most their time online. so it is prehaps staying very much in touch with their target audience?

A few years ago more people watched BBC3 stuff on Iplayer than watched it on the channel as well.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Does it? i've never seen figures that say, and lot of BBC3's biggest programmes are repeats of BBC1 stuff.

They need to make £100m savings, that's pretty much BBC3's budget, and almost twice that of BBC4.

It seems pretty sensible to cut the thing that it well-catered for everywhere else rather than cutting everything abit (again)

It isnt well-catered anywhere else, the closest channel directed at young people is ITV2 which is constantly churning out crap like TOWIE and Celebrity Juice. BBC3 also hosts political and social debates for young people which no other channel does. What the BBC should really be doing is looking at ways to reduce the amount it costs. A lot of things on BBC3 are not repeated from BBC1, admittedly some are, but tonight for example, only 1 program comes from BBC1 (which is the nightly repeat of Eastenders).

BBC2 and BBC4 are slightly similar, so merging them makes much more sense. BBC2 also costs a hell of a lot of money too, perhaps they should cut back on that and move BBC4 there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Another thing to take into consideration is BBC local radio which maybe butchered to achieve the £100M savings target. BBC local radio would morph into a BBC regional service.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
It isnt well-catered anywhere else, the closest channel directed at young people is ITV2 which is constantly churning out crap like TOWIE and Celebrity Juice. BBC3 also hosts political and social debates for young people which no other channel does. What the BBC should really be doing is looking at ways to reduce the amount it costs. A lot of things on BBC3 are not repeated from BBC1, admittedly some are, but tonight for example, only 1 program comes from BBC1 (which is the nightly repeat of Eastenders).

BBC2 and BBC4 are slightly similar, so merging them makes much more sense. BBC2 also costs a hell of a lot of money too, perhaps they should cut back on that and move BBC4 there.

Where are the viewing figures?

From what i've seen the biggest viewing figures for BBC3 are repeats of Eastenders and Dr Who, and Family Guy.

They do do (very little) political discussion programmes, but i've never seen that they get particulalrly big viewing figures. Almost all of thier output would sit very easily on E4, Sky1, Sky Living, etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
BBC Three is going to be replaced by BBC1 +1 and is going to get half of the BBC3 budget. CBBC will now also be extended for longer hours.

So basically, they arent actually going to be saving much money at all. They have no idea what they are doing :ffsparr:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26464007

Another nail in the coffin for the TV licence , if you're going to watch BBC3 delayed (catch up) programmes on i-Player when the channel is moved online you don't need a licence.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Where are the viewing figures?

From what i've seen the biggest viewing figures for BBC3 are repeats of Eastenders and Dr Who, and Family Guy.

They do do (very little) political discussion programmes, but i've never seen that they get particulalrly big viewing figures. Almost all of thier output would sit very easily on E4, Sky1, Sky Living, etc.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/monthly-total-viewing-summary?_s=4

Although the BBC3 share of the market is small (1.4%), it is still larger than BBC4 (1%) and it gets watched for longer periods by its audience than BBC4.

Between the ages of 14 and 35 - you will now no longer be catered by the BBC. They are taking the money from a channel targeted at young people and are putting it into "dramas", is it really worth losing the young audience for this ? The BBC had an online TV channel for young people before called BBC Switch, it didnt last long as no one watched it, the same with the online only series last year, which barely anyone watched. E4 simply shows shows from the US now and the odd Inbetweeners repeat, no variety compared to BBC3, Sky Living is nothing like it and Sky1 is more like BBC1.

Also for got to mention about the award-winning documentaries that BBC3 shows directed at young people, more simplistic than Panorama but still hard hitting. They also have (recently) shown a lot of programs giving out financial advice to young people (IE budgeting, how to go about getting your own place etc) which other channels simply dont do.

Replacing this with a channel which would be watched even less is a joke. Most BBC1 programs are pretty much put on iplayer straight after they are shown on BBC1 anyway, which means it simply isnt needed. Just a case of the BBC wanting to be like ITV and Sky by having a +1 channel which simply isnt needed.

Another nail in the coffin for the TV licence , if you're going to watch BBC3 delayed (catch up) programmes on i-Player when the channel is moved online you don't need a licence.

The way the BBC is going, I might well cancel mine soon, the value for money factor is appalling, and you dont need a license to watch iplayer at present.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Other than a couple of films I don't think I've watched anything on bbc3 for years. Though, if it weren't for doctor who and Sherlock, the same could probably be said of bbc1.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What is the betting some of the additional funding for drama on BBC1 ends up diverted into programmes such as Dancing On Ice and Celebrity Bake Off ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
What is the betting some of the additional funding for drama on BBC1 ends up diverted into programmes such as Dancing On Ice and Celebrity Bake Off ?

Dancing on Ice is ITV (which they have also now axed) but the point I agree with. There will now be an extra £35 million the BBC will now need to find. Id certainly say BBC4 is at risk as well now, as is BBC Local Radio. But all they had to do was cut back on the shite they stick on BBC 1, then no channels or radio get axed.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
HawkTheSeagull;6227197Between the ages of 14 and 35 - you will now no longer be catered by the BBC. .[/QUOTE said:
You mean apart from large chunks of the BBC1 output, Radio 1 and 1 extra. I'm not sure how this age thing work's out i'm not 35 yet and I feel incredibly well catered for by the BBC.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You mean apart from large chunks of the BBC1 output, Radio 1 and 1 extra. I'm not sure how this age thing work's out i'm not 35 yet and I feel incredibly well catered for by the BBC.

Radio 1 and 1Xtra are radio - young people are well catered for on the radio but not on BBC TV (should have mentioned that bit).

Large chunks of BBC1 ? Really ? Maybe 1 or 2 programs yes (Doctor Who, Sherlock etc). Tonights BBC1 schedule has nothing there for young people.

Surely a channel which caters for young people (and keeps Snog, Marry, Avoid of BBC1 for those that arent its target audience) is better than a pointless channel which simply isnt needed thanks to iplayer and Sky+, Tivo etc.

The petition has hit nearly 60,000 within 1 day and a Facebook group has 86,000 members. Id say the uproar for this is very, very similar to when 6Music was going to be axed. Perhaps this may well be a publicity stunt by the BBC to try and get more viewers on BBC3, who knows.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dancing on Ice is ITV (which they have also now axed) but the point I agree with. There will now be an extra £35 million the BBC will now need to find. Id certainly say BBC4 is at risk as well now, as is BBC Local Radio. But all they had to do was cut back on the shite they stick on BBC 1, then no channels or radio get axed.

There is a rumour that the BBC want to pick up Dancing On Ice :ohmy: :thumbsup:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Reading the DG statement it appears that the few decent programmes on BBC 3 will transfer to BBC 1 or 2, and original content will still be produced for online viewing. One of the rationale being that BBC 3's audience is more flexible in where they view content.

So it seems like original content will still get produced but the padding will be lost. If anything it could encourage greater innovation from programme-makers whilst giving BBC 1 + 2 a youthful shot i the arm too. Good decision in my view.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Radio 1 and 1Xtra are radio - young people are well catered for on the radio but not on BBC TV (should have mentioned that bit).

Large chunks of BBC1 ? Really ? Maybe 1 or 2 programs yes (Doctor Who, Sherlock etc). Tonights BBC1 schedule has nothing there for young people.

Surely a channel which caters for young people (and keeps Snog, Marry, Avoid of BBC1 for those that arent its target audience) is better than a pointless channel which simply isnt needed thanks to iplayer and Sky+, Tivo etc.

The petition has hit nearly 60,000 within 1 day and a Facebook group has 86,000 members. Id say the uproar for this is very, very similar to when 6Music was going to be axed. Perhaps this may well be a publicity stunt by the BBC to try and get more viewers on BBC3, who knows.

SHould the BBC be making things like Snog, Marry and Avoid?

Most of thier good stuff can easily go onto BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4.
If their politics stuff wasn't inane it could easily slot into the early night BBC4 slot. Our War could work on any of the channels.

I'm not sure the age is a narrow as people make it. Surely Eastenders, The Voice, Casualty and Waking the Dead are aimed at the younger market as well. People deride Strictly and Bake-Off as old people's progs but there are massive teenage and young adult followings for those as well.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
SHould the BBC be making things like Snog, Marry and Avoid?

Most of thier good stuff can easily go onto BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4.
If their politics stuff wasn't inane it could easily slot into the early night BBC4 slot. Our War could work on any of the channels.

I'm not sure the age is a narrow as people make it. Surely Eastenders, The Voice, Casualty and Waking the Dead are aimed at the younger market as well. People deride Strictly and Bake-Off as old people's progs but there are massive teenage and young adult followings for those as well.

Since an audience exists for Snog, Marry, Avoid - probably yes, that said I hate it myself. None of the BBC3 programs would be suitable for BBC4, totally different audiences. The political debates/documentaies possibly on BBC1 and a couple of shows on BBC2, but the majority would be shoved online where not a lot of people will watch, especially if you keep the more popular shows on other channels. Waking the Dead and other murder shows are certainly not aimed at a younger audience, though of course some will watch them in the same way some older people may watch BBC3. Bake-off is (somehow) a big success of a program regardless of the channel, but that is just a handful of shows, the majority of the schedule is not appealing to young people.

Young people may well think what is the point of paying for the TV license as there is nothing/rarely anything on BBC TV for me and simply not pay it. You then have a generation of people not paying the license and then the BBC will find themselves in real trouble.

E4, Sky and ITV may well be licking their lips at the thought of BBC3 going as they may now have a big opportunity to attract the young people who have had enough of the BBC, especially when you dont need to pay to watch other channels. If the other channels can up the quality of shows for a younger audience, the BBC will have big issues.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Why do BBC need any +1 channel when they already fund iPlayer which is essentially BBC+aslongasyouwantuptoadeadline

And WHY THE HELL DOES CBBC NEED TO BE ON UNTIL 8PM

Kids should be in bed at that time, or be interacted with by the parents. The BBC isn't a bloody babysitting device for when you cba to spend time with your kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here