Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.B.C 3 to be axed ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
But the BBC is supposed to provide output that isn't provided by the commercial sector.

The only channels vaguely like BBC4 is Sky Arts which isn't free and is mainly music.
BBC3 overlaps with E4, ITV, ITV2, SkyOne, Fox, Watch, Gold, Living and a lots of other satellite ones.

OT, but there's some good stuff on Sky Arts 1.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But the BBC is supposed to provide output that isn't provided by the commercial sector.

The only channels vaguely like BBC4 is Sky Arts which isn't free and is mainly music.
BBC3 overlaps with E4, ITV, ITV2, SkyOne, Fox, Watch, Gold, Living and a lots of other satellite ones.

Did I mention BBC 4? Is that under threat as well? I'm more comparing it to 6 Music that head it's head on the chopping board not so long ago...

I'm not saying it's the wrong decision, just that it might add weight to the view that the BBC is predominantly white, middle class, middle aged, men. My personal view is that a genuine risk taking BBC 3 could be a brilliant thing and unique. It's been allowed to get really, really lazy.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
BBC3 is alright. As previously mentioned on this thread it does broadcast some right garbage. The Mark Wright planning a party for a stranger type crap they show on ITV2 is the absolute pits i would imagine and not a million miles away from the level of some of the stuff BBC3 has to offer. Ex-youth team football with a shit haircut and swagger. It could be amusing to watch one episode just for the cringe factor.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did I mention BBC 4? Is that under threat as well? I'm more comparing it to 6 Music that head it's head on the chopping board not so long ago...

I'm not saying it's the wrong decision, just that it might add weight to the view that the BBC is predominantly white, middle class, middle aged, men. My personal view is that a genuine risk taking BBC 3 could be a brilliant thing and unique. It's been allowed to get really, really lazy.

The concensus of opinion on several TV forums is BBC4 will get the chop as demographics show viewers are male , white , middle class , over 44 and not representative of the population.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The concensus of opinion on several TV forums is BBC4 will get the chop as demographics show viewers are male , white , middle class , over 44 and not representative of the population.

In BBC 3's current state, that would appear to be the wrong decision. Personally I'm a big fan of what BBC 4 does (but then I fit 3 of the 4 demographics you list above!). I just think BBC 3 is a really good opportunity that is currently being wasted.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why don't they just get rid of Radio1 and save a load of cash. No-one cares about the charts and you can get 95% of its output( smug idiots playing the same Rihanna, Katie Perry, Labrynth and Dizze Rascal songs endlessly) on hundreds of other stations or Music channels

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why don't they just get rid of Radio1 and save a load of cash. No-one cares about the charts and you can get 95% of its output( smug idiots playing the same Rihanna, Katie Perry, Labrynth and Dizze Rascal songs endlessly) on hundreds of other stations or Music channels

The good stuff on 1 (yes there is some Essential Mix, AMP,) always seems out of place on there anyway.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Apparently it costs £90m a year for BBC3 and about £55m for BBC4

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Apparently it costs £90m a year for BBC3 and about £55m for BBC4

They could, possibly, reduce the pointless repeats of American Dad or whatever it is on BBC3, reduce the repeats on BBC4 and whack it into one channel. The BBC could also stop spending shitloads on programmes that feature the royals and eastenders spin-offs. And wasting millions on the Winter Olympics that no-one really watched.

Or it could all be just another way of advertising their stations, like the near loss of 6music.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

That is the problem. It's predominantly white middle class, upper class men. Like the FA as well (but let's not go down that one again). Agree with what you say. The BBc should be risk taking but also should be doing a better job of engaging with the communities that aren't properly represented to ensure that the content they show is representative.

On BBC3, I think the problem is that the BBC used it as a trial channel for sitcoms that it could dump if they didn't work. The fact that many of them have been so successful show that the BBC elite weren't as trusting in the first place as those involved making them were. However if getting rid of the channel means they won't risk new sitcoms, then that clearly is a mistake.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 8m
BBC Three to become online-only channel available through iPlayer - announcement due tomorrow, BBC News has learned http://bbc.in/MNfODe

How on earth did BBC news get this info?!

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
OT, but there's some good stuff on Sky Arts 1.

This is the one that isn't the Andre Reiu channel?

It does have lots of good music stuff on. It used to show Arty, foreign classic films but this seems to have stopped

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
That is the problem. It's predominantly white middle class, upper class men. Like the FA as well (but let's not go down that one again). Agree with what you say. The BBc should be risk taking but also should be doing a better job of engaging with the communities that aren't properly represented to ensure that the content they show is representative.

On BBC3, I think the problem is that the BBC used it as a trial channel for sitcoms that it could dump if they didn't work. The fact that many of them have been so successful show that the BBC elite weren't as trusting in the first place as those involved making them were. However if getting rid of the channel means they won't risk new sitcoms, then that clearly is a mistake.

Has the quality of BBC sitcoms measurably improved since we've had BBC3?

There's definetely more of them, i'm not sure there's many great ones. Most of the very good ones start on BBC Radio4 for being transferred to BBC3 anyway, they'd be better off making Radio4 Extra a little more daring and 'youth'.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
might be sensible to make either BBC3 or BBC4 into a sport only channel

but when did BBC ever do anything sensible?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here