Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aye Aye Ashley

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You have missed my point with the gif; You said to me

The graphic is there to show that a lot of his weight went into the tackle. I am not disputing what happened just before, just your "he hadnt put anywhere near full weight in" statement. And to also say "no where near a break because the force just isnt there." is absurd.

I would have thought that the contact with Matic was at the end of the swing of Barnes passing motion so most of the force and momentum would have gone, hence why Matic didn't suffer a serious injury

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Here is a picture from a few tenths of a second earlier... View attachment 63295

He is looking at the ball and NOT at matic, it's impossible to say that is intentional.

No for dangerously tackling him in the middle of his leg. Matic was only sent off for his retaliation when it was natural aftet a career threatening lunge at him. That is how I saw it coupled with the MOTD crew.

See photo above BG and tell me where the challenge by Barnes was?

Matic caught the end of Barnes natural passing movement and there was no attempt by Barnes to go for the Chelsea player, Matic was thre late and thats why there was contact so not Barnes fault.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
No for dangerously tackling him in the middle of his leg. Matic was only sent off for his retaliation when it was natural aftet a career threatening lunge at him. That is how I saw it coupled with the MOTD crew.

He didn't tackle him. Matic didn't have the ball. Matic goes towards Barnes when he is passing the ball and Barnes' leg follows through after passing the ball which is what happens when people pass.

And it wasn't career threatening. Barnes's foot hits him with barely any power which is why he is able to get straight up and run towards Barnes to push him over.

Do you trust everything MOTD pundits say? When Preston played Man U the other day they were saying Rooney's penalty wasn't a dive as he was avoiding a career threatening challenge which was just ridiculous.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I suggest you watch the full video of theincident earlier in this thread.

Or the image posted earleir which shows Barnes passing hte ball and Matics leg 2 ft away as Barnes makes contact with the ball and then tell me who was late or reckless.

I suggest you stop suggesting people look at stop frames or other videos. We've all seen it by now. Those that seem to idolise Barnes can see no wrong in what he did. A host of others, including many commentators, pundits, ex footballers are all saying Barnes was in the wrong.

He was a really good player for us and now he is a really good player for Burnley getting a deserved chance in the Premier league but that does not mean he can do no wrong, at least in most people's eyes. We all know Barnes played the ball first but he follows through. Simple as that. I'm no fan of Chelsea but Matic is not, by any stretch of the imagination, reckless, except of course in his retaliation!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just to give my opinion on this:

1) Not meaning to sound patronising but anyone who's played football knows what he's done..

2) Yes he's just made a pass but he's then transferred his weight onto pushing through Matic's leg - he knew exactly what he was doing

3) This is quite a common thing - you have a decision to make in a split second - essentially leave one on your oponent or not. Had he not followed right through it wouldn't have been his fault but also wouldn't have bent Matic's leg like that..

4) it's a very similar thing to the challenge he got sent off for against Burbley for us in that he left his foot in to leave one in the player making the poor challenge then too (altho it wasn't as bad and wasn't a clear red). Again, I feel if you play foot all regularly or have done you know exactly the decision he'd faced...

5) I can't be bothered to read the whole thread and appreciate some of the posts defending Barnes are a joke (literally)

6) I really like Ash and am glad he's doing well at Burnley (altho Slightly amazed he is tbh)

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It wasn't 'a challenge'.

Let me tell you what happened..... Barnes receives the ball and moves the ball away from Zouma, then he goes to pass the ball to Jones where Matic rushes in and kops the end of Barnes passing foot.

The ref got it all spot on.

Just watched it for the first time and really can't see how people can claim that he deliberately kicked the guy...it was a follow through on having kicked the ball...deserved sending off for the Chelsea player

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

1) Not meaning to sound patronising but anyone who's played football knows what he's done..

2) Yes he's just made a pass but he's then transferred his weight onto pushing through Matic's leg - he knew exactly what he was doing

3) This is quite a common thing - you have a decision to make in a split second - essentially leave one of your oponent or not. Had he not followed right through it wouldn't have been his fault but also wouldn't have bent Matic's leg like that..

4) it's a very similar thing to the challenge he got sent off for against Burbley for us in that he left his foot in to leave one in the player making the poor challenge then too (altho it wasn't as bad and wasn't a clear red). Again, I feel if you play foot all regularly or have done you know exactly the decision he'd faced...

5) I can't be bothered to read the whole thread and appreciate some of he posts defending that tackle are a joke

6) I really like Ash and am glad he's doing well at Burnley (altho Slightly amazed he is tbh)

Don't agree ..one could say those attacking that 'pass' are a joke...but where would that get us

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

3) This is quite a common thing - you have a decision to make in a split second - essentially leave one of your oponent or not. Had he not followed right through it wouldn't have been his fault but also wouldn't have bent Matic's leg like that..

5) I can't be bothered to read the whole thread and appreciate some of he posts defending that tackle are a joke

Can't really argue with that. I'm sure that some will.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The referee didn't see it that way.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He didn't tackle him. Matic didn't have the ball. Matic goes towards Barnes when he is passing the ball and Barnes' leg follows through after passing the ball which is what happens when people pass.

And it wasn't career threatening. Barnes's foot hits him with barely any power which is why he is able to get straight up and run towards Barnes to push him over.

Do you trust everything MOTD pundits? When Preston played Man U the other day they were saying Rooney's penalty wasn't a dive as he was avoiding a career threatening challenge which was just ridiculous.

lol....well remembered

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Juts watched it for the first time and really can't see how people can claim that he deliberately kicked the guy...it was a follow through on having kicked the ball

It was indeed but he's pushed his leg down and transferred his weight deliberately leaving one on Matic. You can see from his other leg rising off the ground the exact point he's decided to transfer the weight. Also, to get technical about it had he just kicked the ball and caught Matic the time of Barnes leg being on Matic's would have been a lot shorter than it was and it wouldve bounced off quite quickly. You can see he's pushing by the time his foot is on Matic's leg in the slow mo - it's longer than it would have been because he's pushing. You can also see this by the way Matic's leg bends - it wouldn't bend like that from a normal kick of a ball follow through....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was indeed but he's pushed his leg down and transferred his weight deliberately leaving one on Matic. You can see from his other leg rising off the ground the exact point he's decided to transfer the weight. Also, to get technical about it had he just kicked the ball and caught Matic the time of Barnes leg being on Matic's would have been a lot shorter than it was and it wouldve bounced off quite quickly. You can see he's pushing by the time his foot is on Matic's leg in the slow mo - it's longer than it would have been because he's pushing. You can also see this by the way Matic's leg bends - it wouldn't bend like that from a normal kick of a ball follow through....

Sorry but thats not how i see it....i respect you have a view..and I'm not going to champion Barnes..only bothered to look at it 5 mins ago...because of all the fuss...and tbh it didnt look as bad as i thought it was going to be ......i'll leave it at that :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No I meant a literal joke! There seems to be people jokong on this thread judging by some of the tounge in cheek comments?! Yeh it was a pass but becomes a 'challenge' when he continues to follow through on his foot that happened to catch Matic's leg.

Noted

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't agree ..one could say those attacking that 'pass' are a joke...but where would that get us

No I meant a literal joke! There seems to be people jokong on this thread judging by some of the tounge in cheek comments?! Yeh it was a pass but becomes a 'challenge' when he continues to follow through on his foot that happened to catch Matic's leg.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I suggest you stop suggesting people look at stop frames or other videos. We've all seen it by now.

i dont think that we all have, because anyone saying Barnes made a tackle or challenge is only seeing the consequence of a motion and not seeing the full sequence of events, where clearly and catagorically he is in possession, first cushioning/protecting the ball then laying off a pass. what alot of people are seeing is only the point of contact and assuming because it looks bad it must be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here