Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aye Aye Ashley

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
He clearly followed through. That was a shocker. He knew what he was doing. I'm afraid we have seen (and turned the other way) quite a few of Ashleys nasty challenges................including one on your own McCann a few years back. Deserves a ban for that

It wasn't even mistimed, he got the ball. Nothing deliberate from Ashley either.

What was deliberate was him jumping up for balls and leading with his knees. I think he got all of Chelsea's back four with that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e852UDSWgTk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It wasn't even mistimed, he got the ball. Nothing deliberate from Ashley either.

What was deliberate was him jumping up for balls and leading with his knees. I think he got all of Chelsea's back four with that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e852UDSWgTk

And proof of how misleading things posted on the internet can be and how they can be made to make things look a lot worse than they actually were. The Vine just makes it look like Barnes was very late to the challenge whereas it was the Chelsea player who late there and got caught as a result well after the ball had gone.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It wasn't 'a challenge'.

Let me tell you what happened..... Barnes receives the ball and moves the ball away from Zouma, then he goes to pass the ball to Jones where Matic rushes in and kops the end of Barnes passing foot.

The ref got it all spot on.

Thanks for clearing it up......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He clearly followed through. That was a shocker. He knew what he was doing. I'm afraid we have seen (and turned the other way) quite a few of Ashleys nasty challenges................including one on your own McCann a few years back. Deserves a ban for that

There you have it. So many people willing to see the worst, when a Burnley fan has already shown you what happened.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Having looked again I've changed my mind, not even a foul from Barnes. Spot on ref.

Jan 10, 2014
In real time I wondered what the hell had happened for Matic to do that.

Barnes had been 'niggley' all afternoon (It's what he's good at) and I think that had something to do with it.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Ashley Barnes is a massive t w a t

I'm glad I no longer have to watch him pre-madonna'ing round the pitch

He knew exactly what he had done as he walked away & as usual went down like he had been shot

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
One of those challenges that looks nasty in slow motion and yes, it could have been a lot worse for Matic but it wasn't intentional from Barnes. Mistimed it that's all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Matic could have easily had a snapped leg, but he was the idiot making the challenge.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
One of the main reasons why my least favourite Brighton player of all time. Puts it about can't take it back. Dives, cheats and always complaining to the ref. Also incredibly over-rated.

Second time he has escaped a red this season.

Certainly one of the best we have seen at The Amex in the Blue & White

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And proof of how misleading things posted on the internet can be and how they can be made to make things look a lot worse than they actually were. The Vine just makes it look like Barnes was very late to the challenge whereas it was the Chelsea player who late there and got caught as a result well after the ball had gone.

spot on. the first video, cut in after the pass by Barnes makes it look like a late/over the ball challenge, when in fact Matic doesnt have "possession".

now i think Barnes has let the leg follow through, but as such its never a leg breaker as there's not any real force. evidenced by Matic ability to leap up and run at Barnes. Matic overreacted, and ref doesnt really have a choice after that, if he'd gone with the standard roll around, Barnes would probably have got an undeserved booking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here