Awesome sight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
it's not a romantic view of militarism, it's a recognition of phenomenal bits of engineering, the success of which made all the difference as to whether we were able to defend ourselves or not.

And it's also a tribute to the high numbers of them which didn't come back.

100% this.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Only on NSC could an argument break out about someone's joy about seeing the beautiful sight of a Lancaster bomber flying overhead roll on shoreham air show love it and a great view from the posh end of shoreham

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's not a romantic view of militarism, it's a recognition of phenomenal bits of engineering, the success of which made all the difference as to whether we were able to defend ourselves or not.

And it's also a tribute to the high numbers of them which didn't come back.

Personally, I don't think people consider it an "awesome sight" because of it's engineering credentials, although I may be wrong.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think most punters who understand the history of WW11 recognise the perspective of the Battle of Britain memorial flight. I don't think it glorifies war but does rightly acknowledge the role they played in saving this country from Nazism, the full horror of which became apparent as the War progressed.

The Battle of Britain was our darkest hour since the Spanish Armada. Britain was effectively isolated as its allies in mainland Europe had already been overrun and our army had miraculously survived Dunkirk but was demoralised and severely lacking in the equipment to repulse an invasion. So it was largely down to the 'few' to fend off the German onslaught by air that was intended to strip Britain of aircover ahead of their invasion. But for this feat the history of Europe over the last 70 years would look totally different and likely it would have a far less happy place to live. There was no one else to ride to our rescue, that would have been it. So IMHO it is right that we have preserved a Spitfire and Hurricane to honour those who fought valiantly against the odds.

I do however understand that the Lancaster is more contentious, it wasn't in operational use in 1940 and its offensive role later in WW11 caused huge civilian casualties within Germany so is understandably contentious, such that even getting a memorial to the brave 50,000 RAF Bomber Command aircrew who lost their lives was only achieved this year. For many years they were demonised rather than given dignified respect that they earned.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Hearing the sound of a STEN never fails to fill me with pride.
churchsten.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yet another pathetic apologist.

I didn't apologize for anything did I.

I just cannot get giddy over, or feel pride about, weapons of war.

It's little wonder we continue to be a warrior nation.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I didn't apologize for anything did I.

I just cannot get giddy over, or feel pride about, weapons of war.

Why open the thread then?

The usual trolling and shit stirring from you, all done to provoke a reaction.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The vast majority of the men that fought in the war felt exactly the same way but those machines did save our country and are no longer killing machines but items of history.

That's right, we have brand spanking new flying killing machines today.

I am all for all of the sentiments expressing gratitude towards those who fought, and sorrow for those who did not return.

But I can feel nothing but sadness whenever I see any weapon of war, however old, however nobly it was used. Because war is ugly. War is death.

Just seems to me like that reality is lost on those who take pleasure or pride from these things.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's right, we have brand spanking new flying killing machines today.

I am all for all of the sentiments expressing gratitude towards those who fought, and sorrow for those who did not return.

But I can feel nothing but sadness whenever I see any weapon of war, however old, however nobly it was used. Because war is ugly. War is death.

Just seems to me like that reality is lost on those who take pleasure or pride from these things.

It's the reality that make these men look back with pride and honour for their comrades that died.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Why open the thread then?

The usual trolling and shit stirring from you, all done to provoke a reaction.

We don't share the same opinion. That's all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's the reality that make these men look back with pride and honour for their comrades that died.

I have no doubt people who have fought in war recognize that reality. And I would imagine that they would be deeply moved by the site of a spitfire overhead.

But I cannot for the life of me imagine someone who fought in world war 2 looking up at a spitfire today and saying it looks "awesome", or having a giddy pride filled expression on their face.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We don't share the same opinion. That's all.

As usual from your lot, a total incapability to answer what is put to you.

If you do not have a career in politics, you ought to consider it.

Seriously, why the need to post comments which you knew fully well would provoke the kind of reaction that you have received?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Personally, I don't think people consider it an "awesome sight" because of it's engineering credentials, although I may be wrong.

No you're possibly right, but seeing them in the air as symbols of hope in the face of relentless attack and destruction of our towns and cities was probably quite awesome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports