Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Awesome sight

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But I cannot for the life of me imagine someone who fought in world war 2 looking up at a spitfire today and saying it looks "awesome", or having a giddy pride filled expression on their face.

Again, utter dribble.

Any time you see these planes in public you see them watched by those who would have used them or known those who did.

Their expressions and thoughts are always of pride and appreciation, as theirs and ours should be. Perhaps you should go along to Eastbourne or Shoreham and see it for yourself.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's a rather insensitive thread considering that we are currently at war and that only today another brave serviceman lost his life. Ok the rights and wrongs of the conflict that politicians took us into may be rather questionable but the service people on the ground themselves deserve our support.

Only this week a local resident in these parts complained to the media about RAF planes making unnecessary noise suggesting there was no need for them to be flying ......... unbelieveable. This punter lives very close to the airfield concerned which is one of the oldest operational bases in the UK so you would have been pretty naive to buy a property in the area and not expect some noise from flying. There are regular press releases explaining that they are doing essential training prior to their rotation out to Afghanistan. Ok it is noisy but only for very short periods of time. Plus it is much less these days because the cutbacks mean less planes, less crews, so less training etc. In fact there are far more US planes around here than RAF these days. It is curious that normally (Olympics aside) the fighters based nearest to London are American, such is the state of the RAF.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As usual from your lot, a total incapability to answer what is put to you.

If you do not have a career in politics, you ought to consider it.

Seriously, why the need to post comments which you knew fully well would provoke the kind of reaction that you have received?

So, your advice would be don't post anything that other people are likely to disagree with?

I don't believe in keeping my mouth shut for the sake of political correctness, this isn't China mate.

That's right, we have brand spanking new flying killing machines today.

I am all for all of the sentiments expressing gratitude towards those who fought, and sorrow for those who did not return.

But I can feel nothing but sadness whenever I see any weapon of war, however old, however nobly it was used. Because war is ugly. War is death.

Just seems to me like that reality is lost on those who take pleasure or pride from these things.

You, sir, have no idea and no concept of what this nation went through during WWII; otherwise you would not have posted such contentious drivel. These fantastic flying machines are an extension of fighting power and as a result has allowed you to 'post' today. A little bit of humility and perspective may be of the order, especially for those who used them and never returned to their families.
I rarely post but this has caused me to do so. For your tomorrow, they gave their today.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, your advice would be don't post anything that other people are likely to disagree with?

I don't believe in keeping my mouth shut for the sake of political correctness, this isn't China mate.

There is a difference between voicing a reasoned and considered disagreement and posting a comment like "flying killing machines" as you did.

You posted on this thread to deliberately cause an argument, so congratulations.

Oh, and I'm not your mate. In fact I think you're a complete twat who shall henceforth be the sole occupant of my ignore list.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
images[9].jpg :clap2:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's a rather insensitive thread considering that we are currently at war and that only today another brave serviceman lost his life. Ok the rights and wrongs of the conflict that politicians took us into may be rather questionable but the service people on the ground themselves deserve our support.

Who are we at war with?

What is supporting the troops? Keeping silent when they are put in harms way unnecessarily, is that supporting them?

As you said, a British soldier was killed today. Did not need to happen. Bring them home I say.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You, sir, have no idea and no concept of what this nation went through during WWII; otherwise you would not have posted such contentious drivel. These fantastic flying machines are an extension of fighting power and as a result has allowed you to 'post' today. A little bit of humility and perspective may be of the order, especially for those who used them and never returned to their families.
I rarely post but this has caused me to do so. For your tomorrow, they gave their today.

Well said.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

As i see things top to bottom-

The Shield
The Hammer
The Sword

The Hurricane-descendent of the firefly and a good work horse,took the bombers on mainly in BB.
The Lancaster-came about as a result of long term strategic foresight in the early 1930's,linked to the earlier twin engine Manchester and some 7000 built.
The Spitfire-the only plane to see the war from start to finish,in over 20 variants,smaller standard fuel tanks than the P51 American mustang saw the American lead the air war over Germany,a late variant Spitfire could match a Mustang in every department bar range.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Nothing I have said has disrespected people who lost their lives in the war, quite the contrary.

The opposite of humility is pride mate. You should think about that.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Bugger me, I thought War was all fun and games, you have completely changed my opinion on this - we must ground the Battle of Britain Flight immediately...... :tosser:

Why look at a weapon of war with feelings of pride if you know what war is like?

You know, if you read my posts carefully, I have never said that we should not use military aircraft. I just find our celebration of these things very distasteful and like I said before, kind of disturbing.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Well I am looking forward to going to Eastbourne tomorrow with the family to see the "weapons of war" to show our support for the brave men and women who have lost their lives in conflict.

I love fast jets so the 2 Tornado's should be fantastic and very loud.

Dingodan you seriously need to lighten up.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why look at a weapon of war with feelings of pride if you know what war is like?

You know, if you read my posts carefully, I have never said that we should not use military aircraft. I just find our celebration of these things very distasteful and like I said before, kind of disturbing.

The reason you look at a weapon of war with 'feelings of pride' is when you know it was used to defeat an utterly vile genocidal regime that murdered millions of innocent people in poison gas chambers.

If you find celebration of the defeat of the Nazi regime 'kind of disturbing' then you need to have a bit of a rethink in my opinion.

Fair enough to have your opinion, I guess being allowed to have your opinion is what the men who died in and took the lives of other men flying the same types of aircraft was what it was for.

My grand father once told me that he wouldn't attend the 50th anniversary events at Normandy even though he was there on Sword beach because, and I quote "I killed men there, I'm not proud of that"

But please allow those who wish to celebrate not the killing machines, but the sacrifice of those who flew, fought and died in them the chance to do so without having to have your alternative view for once.

Thanks.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Many people will have varying views on this subject,others sadly will be totally unaware of the conflict and will be naive as to what it was all about-all i will say is all the planes were amazing in their time-

Take the war side of things out of the equation for a moment and give thought to the fact that mankind had only just grasped the know how and applied the technology to make flight some 30-35 years earlier..

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
As i see things top to bottom-

The Shield
The Hammer
The Sword

The Hurricane-descendent of the firefly and a good work horse,took the bombers on mainly in BB.
The Lancaster-came about as a result of long term strategic foresight in the early 1930's,linked to the earlier twin engine Manchester and some 7000 built.
The Spitfire-the only plane to see the war from start to finish,in over 20 variants,smaller standard fuel tanks than the P51 American mustang saw the American lead the air war over Germany,a late variant Spitfire could match a Mustang in every department bar range.

I don't know much about the subject but the Spitfire was an awesome aircraft. I take it the Hurricane was a cheaper version but also contributed as much during the conflict ?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Fair enough to have your opinion, I guess being allowed to have your opinion is what the men who died in and took the lives of other men flying the same types of aircraft was what it was for.

My grand father once told me that he wouldn't attend the 50th anniversary events at Normandy even though he was there on Sword beach because, and I quote "I killed men there, I'm not proud of that"

But please allow those who wish to celebrate not the killing machines, but the sacrifice of those who flew, fought and died in them the chance to do so without having to have your alternative view for once.

Thanks.

I agree with you. And I know that my posts seem quite absolute. I think it was the word "awesome" in the thread title that got to me.

We should absolutely respect those who fought and died, and if need be I myself would defend the land that I live on. It's just sometimes I really feel people are not looking at these things with respect and humility. Sometimes it just feels like a "go team" kind of attitude, and it really bothers me. A nation with an attitude like this tends not to be a peaceful nation, and here we are.

But I do appreciate that many people will look upon these things with humility and respect, it's just not the impression a lot of posters here give me.

And I'm sorry you would rather I did not post.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't know much about the subject but the Spitfire was an awesome aircraft. I take it the Hurricane was a cheaper version but also contributed as much during the conflict ?

Earlier-let me put it this way,it was a great aircraft,robust,but slower and that's why it took care of the bombers while the Spitfire which entered service after the Hurricane looked after the German fighters by providing top cover-

The Hurricane should never be forgotten,but we could have won the Battle of Britain with just Spitfires,we could however not with just Hurricanes and there is the true answer as to the Spitfires real value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here