Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You lucky so and so, Germany’s allowing travel overseas, now in negotiations with Med nations.

Thank you. I must admit I haven’t been keeping up with foreign travel recently; I’ve been too busy keeping an eye my local favourite bars and restaurants this weekend. I’ll get onto this ASAP.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Cool. Hopefully Barca will open a bit more as well; I really fancy a long weekend pottering around my favorite food and drink places asap.

Be sure to let the rest of us know which frivilous trips we should now undertake on foot or bicycle to carbon off-set your long weekend in Barcelona.

:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be sure to let the rest of us know which frivilous trips we should now undertake on foot or bicycle to carbon off-set your long weekend in Barcelona.

:thumbsup:

:lolol:

EasyJet flights are now carbon neutral https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/19/business/easyjet-flights-carbon-neutral/index.html And adding [MENTION=24521]worthingseagull123[/MENTION]’s no-children theory to the mix I reckon I’m in the black when it comes to my carbon footprint. You can have a drive to the supermarket on me!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It really makes no sense to blanket force 14 day quarantine does it? Surely you should be imposing this for certain areas/countries who are most rife with infection - for example if you’re coming from Greece right now that has only 2 new cases today, what on Earth is the point of quarantine it creates more trouble than its worth, places like Russia or Brazil that are currently seeing high infection rates would make sense to quarantine for 14 days, of course this would be subject to change.

Perhaps that’s not allowed, probably some human rights nonsense but it seems logical to me to use some kind of logic instead of blanket restrictions.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

EasyJet flights are now carbon neutral https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/19/business/easyjet-flights-carbon-neutral/index.html And adding [MENTION=24521]worthingseagull123[/MENTION]’s no-children theory to the mix I reckon I’m in the black when it comes to my carbon footprint. You can have a drive to the supermarket on me!

Understood!

I'm going to drive the long way to the Co-op in 3rd gear to buy some braised pig's cheeks in caramalised leeks with the windows down singing Das Lied der Deutschen

:kiss:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It really makes no sense to blanket force 14 day quarantine does it? Surely you should be imposing this for certain areas/countries who are most rife with infection - for example if you’re coming from Greece right now that has only 2 new cases today, what on Earth is the point of quarantine it creates more trouble than its worth, places like Russia or Brazil that are currently seeing high infection rates would make sense to quarantine for 14 days, of course this would be subject to change.

Perhaps that’s not allowed, probably some human rights nonsense but it seems logical to me to use some kind of logic instead of blanket restrictions.

Also, as pointed out by some commentators, why quarantine people coming in from Denmark, Norway, Germany and Finland, when they’re at a very positive low stage in the curve? If anything, they’re at danger from us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You just get the feel that Europe is rolling the dice this summer with a lot of flights. Brits may well be drinking gold fish bowls in Magaluf this summer after all

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is EasyJet pretty screwed...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Understood!

I'm going to drive the long way to the Co-op in 3rd gear to buy some braised pig's cheeks in caramalised leeks with the windows down singing Das Lied der Deutschen

:kiss:

Can you swing by Waitrose for me? I need some quinoa.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You and Grant Schapps make one helluva team on this.

Fiona Nicholls, climate campaigner at Greenpeace, said: “Carbon offsetting will not clean up aviation’s carbon emissions, just create the illusion it does. EasyJet is peddling snake oil and it’s shocking that the secretary of state seems so willing to buy it."

Source >>> https://www.theguardian.com/busines...tary-promised-easyjet-not-to-levy-green-taxes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You and Grant Schapps make one helluva team on this.

Fiona Nicholls, climate campaigner at Greenpeace, said: “Carbon offsetting will not clean up aviation’s carbon emissions, just create the illusion it does. EasyJet is peddling snake oil and it’s shocking that the secretary of state seems so willing to buy it."

Source >>> https://www.theguardian.com/busines...tary-promised-easyjet-not-to-levy-green-taxes

I do support the green tax which Fiona mentions in the same article. No problem with that. I guess with the middle-seat proposal there will be a reduction in fuel needed for each flight as well? It all helps :thumbsup:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I`m not normally a Green supporter. However these last ten weeks has shown that Airline industry is shit for the planet. Cars/trucks etc are massive polluters and the cities and skies are much better of without so much of them.

I`m sad for the workers who will undoubtedly lose jobs, but for everyones sake I hope Airline industry never gets back to where it was three months ago. Planes criss crossing the sussex sky all day.

We all like to fly but we don`t have to !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I`m not normally a Green supporter. However these last ten weeks has shown that Airline industry is shit for the planet. Cars/trucks etc are massive polluters and the cities and skies are much better of without so much of them.

I`m sad for the workers who will undoubtedly lose jobs, but for everyones sake I hope Airline industry never gets back to where it was three months ago. Planes criss crossing the sussex sky all day.

We all like to fly but we don`t have to !

You only have to look up in the sky today, absolutely azure blue

Flying is a privilege not a right, growth has completely out of hand, the industry doesn't pay for its damage to the planet and the crazy cheap fares have led to unsustainable lifestyles.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
14 day lockdown details today

Potentially will be the final nail in some (other than airlines) business that rely on tourism in the UK

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
14 day lockdown details today

Potentially will be the final nail in some (other than airlines) business that rely on tourism in the UK

Guess there will be at least some winners in local tourism, fingers crossed the weather holds. August is usually sh1t

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
so you can land , infect every one on public transport then quarantine , ok then.

THink will be plenty that take their chances for a holiday especially as they ring you to check lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here