Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
so you can land , infect every one on public transport then quarantine , ok then.

THink will be plenty that take their chances for a holiday especially as they ring you to check lol

I’m not sure how I feel after that.

As you say it’s basically done on goodwill, they won’t have resources plus the fine is last resort.

She also mentioned about track and trace - was that in place of this?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Bizzare, they are bringing restrictions in on 8th June which will cause a surge in passengers before then and there’s talk of a reliable digital testing kit becoming available soon. Got to be honest I really did not understand Pritis wording of it, she sounded like there will be no exceptions then the guy next to her said air bridges are plausible and that at a future date could be used reviewed on a 3 weekly basis, well it’s nearly 3 weeks till you’re bringing this rule in

Made nothing clear and only left more questions IMO, she comes across as quite sarcastic when answering questions as well.

(Copied this post of mine from summer holidays thread, probably more relevant to here)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
CFB11552-A7B2-44D4-9C90-8ADBC7C4A1E6.jpeg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Again how can there be a surge in passengers when govt advice says no international travel, few fights and no travel insurance?

A surge in passengers before this measure is brought in I mean, ie’ thousands more flying in on the 7th June to avoid having to quarantine themselves.

To me this just seems like a very strange time to bring this measure in, particularly as a ‘blanket’ method I’d understand for example countries like Brazil but the blanket approach is just bizarre and will ruin the entire industry - like I said about Greece yesterday they are in single digit new cases daily, yet they will face the same quarantine measures as someone from Sweden? Odd.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
A surge in passengers before this measure is brought in I mean, ie’ thousands more flying in on the 7th June to avoid having to quarantine themselves.

To me this just seems like a very strange time to bring this measure in, particularly as a ‘blanket’ method I’d understand for example countries like Brazil but the blanket approach is just bizarre and will ruin the entire industry - like I said about Greece yesterday they are in single digit new cases daily, yet they will face the same quarantine measures as someone from Sweden? Odd.

I see what you say but anyone coming will actually need somewhere to stay whatever date they come and given the situation with hotels etc and indeed the virus itself why would they be coming anyway? Not exactly an attractive holiday destination at the moment...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

There’s only 1% of the normal number of passenger flights into the UK just now, plus ferries and Eurotunnel are freight only.

Shirley making a surge of entrants very limited?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m not sure how much sympathy I will get, but please spare a few minutes for me, who is one of the people who has to repeatedly try and explain the U.K. government’s increasingly baffling decisions to .the wider world. All I wanted tonight was a few quiet beers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so you can land , infect every one on public transport then quarantine , ok then.

THink will be plenty that take their chances for a holiday especially as they ring you to check lol

The greater priority is clearly testing and tracing and testing. The government are struggling to do this...so there’s absolutely no way they will be banging on a door to check Joe Bloggs is still inside on day 13 of his return from Magaluf....no chance.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
The greater priority is clearly testing and tracing and testing. The government are struggling to do this...so there’s absolutely no way they will be banging on a door to check Joe Bloggs is still inside on day 13 of his return from Magaluf....no chance.

Who exactly will be going to Magaluf or indeed anywhere abroad in June?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m not sure how much sympathy I will get, but please spare a few minutes for me, who is one of the people who has to repeatedly try and explain the U.K. government’s increasingly baffling decisions to .the wider world. All I wanted tonight was a few quiet beers.

its simple, if i have joined the dots correctly, our government want to follow what rest of Europe is doing. we dont have powers to summarily impose quaratine, unlike our neighbours, so have to put through legislation. being slow we are only doing this now, so we'll going into quaratine just as others come out. i think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Sir David King, former Chief Scientific Advisor, was on 5Live this morning and whilst he was absolutely damning on the government not bringing quarantine of arrivals to the country into place back in February/March, he also said it was absolutely the right thing to be doing now. He stated he is in favour of this measure as "it's never too late"...

"If someone is coming into the country and they've been exposed to the virus and it's in their body and beginning to multiply, it's only in the last three days before they go down with the symptoms that the virus becomes sufficient in their body that you can detect it. The last four - five days perhaps. What that means is if we let people in during that first week after they've been exposed, we're allowing the virus to spread again."

I think it's possible to focus on different tactics to reduce virus transmission at once, primarily because different groups of people are involved with each of them. The government has stated the track, trace and isolate system will be available from June 1st. Perhaps it's better for you to wait for them to fail, as you surely will be, to attack them on that, rather than doing so ahead of time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it's possible to focus on different tactics to reduce virus transmission at once, primarily because different groups of people are involved with each of them. The government has stated the track, trace and isolate system will be available from June 1st. Perhaps it's better for you to wait for them to fail, as you surely will be, to attack them on that, rather than doing so ahead of time.

Possibly, but I prefer to be proactive.....which is something the government could clearly benefit from.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sir David King, former Chief Scientific Advisor, was on 5Live this morning and whilst he was absolutely damning on the government not bringing quarantine of arrivals to the country into place back in February/March, he also said it was absolutely the right thing to be doing now. He stated he is in favour of this measure as "it's never too late"...

"If someone is coming into the country and they've been exposed to the virus and it's in their body and beginning to multiply, it's only in the last three days before they go down with the symptoms that the virus becomes sufficient in their body that you can detect it. The last four - five days perhaps. What that means is if we let people in during that first week after they've been exposed, we're allowing the virus to spread again."

I guess it is possible to finish testing an App which is still in beta, the week after it was due to be rolled out, correct any issues, re-test it and roll it out to the whole country in 9 days. And put in place a testing system that can give accurate test results in under 48 hrs and use this system to replace posting out the current 40,000 test packs a day in 9 days. (I understand we are testing a new superfast test next week, so maybe 4 days to test and 5 days to roll out across the country).

And that would in theory, (barring any problems in logistics, recruitment, training etc of the 20,000 staff) allow the new track and trace system to effectively work, in the 9 days time. This would then allow the Government to meet the scientific advice that they were given in February. And meet Johnson's Trumpesque announcement that we will have 'a world beating track and trace system' rolled out and working by June 1st.

Can't say I'm overly optimistic though :down:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess it is possible to finish testing an App which is still in beta, the week after it was due to be rolled out, correct any issues, re-test it and roll it out to the whole country in 9 days. And put in place a testing system that can give accurate test results in under 48 hrs and use this system to replace posting out the current 40,000 test packs a day in 9 days. (I understand we are testing a new superfast test next week, so maybe 4 days to test and 5 days to roll out across the country).

And that would in theory, (barring any problems in logistics, recruitment, training etc of the 20,000 staff) allow the new track and trace system to effectively work, in the 9 days time. This would then allow the Government to meet the scientific advice that they were given in February. And meet Johnson's Trumpesque announcement that we will have 'a world beating track and trace system' rolled out and working by June 1st.

Can't say I'm overly optimistic though :down:

Nor am I, and I shouldn't have included that line in my post, as it has clearly distracted from the point that suppression of virus transmission is a battle waged on multiple fronts.

To suggest that one aspect of that battle should be the priority, suggesting multiple strands can not be worked on in parallel, is up there with the thickos who moan about Albion recruiting for the development squad during a transfer window with "Why have we done this? The recruitment team should be focused on bringing in a first team striker".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here