Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Average Speed Cameras on Handcross Hill

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
He got done because his wife said he lied and forced her to take the points. hardly the same as genuinely not knowing.

Seriously, how many people do not genuinely know who was driving their car unless it has been stolen. Even where several family members/friends/work colleagues drive a particular car, it should be up to the owner of the car to get to the truth. Edna describing it as "a loophole" is spot on and I'm glad it has been closed.

To me its no different from taking the 5th.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:bla: :bla: :bla:
Edna said a loophole has been closed, what you're saying isn't the closing of a loophole, it's just the way you guess it would work.

So your children are moving house and you've lent them your car. They're driving back and forth all day, and sharing the driving. How the hell would you know which one was driving at that particular moment? The simple fact is, you wouldn't.

You ask them, and if they don't tell you, you have the choice to either put one of their names down and hope the guilty party puts their hand up, or to say it was you, and cop it yourself. Neither is an appealing option, of course, but it's stopped people taking the piss.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Edna said a loophole has been closed, what you're saying isn't the closing of a loophole, it's just the way you guess it would work.

So your children are moving house and you've lent them your car. They're driving back and forth all day, and sharing the driving. How the hell would you know which one was driving at that particular moment? The simple fact is, you wouldn't.

ok fair enough, but i would make 1 of them responsible, and they would get the points regardless of who was driving

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously, how many people do not genuinely know who was driving their car unless it has been stolen.
I make it a point to never know who is driving my car :D I have no respect for speed limits.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not a guess, in my experience in court that's the way it works. I hope that you never have to find out that I am right.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You ask them, and if they don't tell you, you have the choice to either put one of their names down and hope the guilty party puts their hand up, or to say it was you, and cop it yourself.
But saying it was you would be a lie, and presumably a criminal offence? It's quite naughty of you to suggest people engage in such criminal activity Edna. Your kids have literally no idea, as it was a busy day a they both drove a lot.

ok fair enough, but i would make 1 of them responsible
'They' might be quite surprised when you tell them :D

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can they not enlarge the photo to see who was actually driving. I am working on the principle of the case with Teddy Sheringham and Bobby Zamora some few years ago and also I got caught jumping into a bus lane too soon and requested the photo, when it arrived it was so clear I could read the wording on the BHA badge of the polo shirt I was wearing at the time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I make it a point to never know who is driving my car :D I have no respect for speed limits.

In which case I sincerely hope you never get the knock on the door to say your son or daughter has been run over and killed by someone doing a few miles an hour over the limit. Or would it suddenly bother you then?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not a guess, in my experience in court that's the way it works. I hope that you never have to find out that I am right.
So you've been to court and argued that you didn't know who was driving, and you've lost. THat doesn't sound good. I've argued the point in several letters, and eventually they've given up. Never went to court.

Can they not enlarge the photo to see who was actually driving.
I asked for a picture to help with identifying the driver. I explained that I appreciated that it was not their responsibility to identify the driver, but I could do with the help. Sadly, the photo of me could not identify the driver.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you've been to court and argued that you didn't know who was driving, and you've lost. THat doesn't sound good. I've argued the point in several letters, and eventually they've given up. Never went to court.

Can they not enlarge the photo to see who was actually driving.
I asked for a picture to help with identifying the driver. I explained that I appreciated that it was not their responsibility to identify the driver, but I could do with the help. Sadly, the photo of me could not identify the driver.

In which case I sincerely hope you never get the knock on the door to say your son or daughter has been run over and killed by someone doing a few miles an hour over the limit.
I hope your family don't get killed by someone doing 60mph on a twisty county lane which barely has room for two cars to pass (it would be pretty sick if we didn't hope other people family don't get killed by someone). Speed limits are a joke.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Wrong again. I've never been a defendant.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I hope your family don't get killed by someone doing 60mph on a twisty county lane which barely has room for two cars to pass (it would be pretty sick if we didn't hope other people family don't get killed by someone). Speed limits are a joke.

Fine, you think they're a joke...ignore them all you like, just don't be one of these people who whine like a stuck pig if you get caught. Simple.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My point was that if somebody you loved was killed or maimed by a driver who was found to have been doing 35 in a 30, my money says you'd be begging the justice system to do something about it.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Cannot actually believe people are saying speed limits are joke. Absolutely f**king ridiculous.

So doing 40mph in a 30mph is ok, even when you hit a person that will have a 80% chance of dying, opposed to an 80% chance of living at 30mph.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wrong again. I've never been a defendant.
Wrong again? Remind me of what I said as fact that was not.
Fine, you think they're a joke...ignore them all you like, just don't be one of these people who whine like a stuck pig if you get caught. Simple.
I don't. I try my best to get out of it, and when all else fails I take the pints and fine. Meanwhile, you can continue to think that some old out-dated sign is a better indicator of safety than your own judgement.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cannot actually believe people are saying speed limits are joke. Absolutely f**king ridiculous.
To be fair to the rest of NSC, I don't think it's people, I think it's just me.
So doing 40mph in a 30mph is ok
I didn't say that. Some speed limits are lower than what is nice and safe, others are higher. The fact that you can drive at 60 on a twisty country lane, where you can barely pass an on-coming vehicle, while there are decent A roads with lower speeds limits is a joke.

Some local built up areas have just had their limit reduced to 20mph. Is 30mph on those roads unsafe, and if so, what speed would you have driven on them before the limit was reduced? Would you have driven at the unsafe limit of 30, or would you have used your common sense and driven at 20?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point was that if somebody you loved was killed or maimed by a driver who was found to have been doing 35 in a 30, my money says you'd be begging the justice system to do something about it.
I'm not sure begging would be appropriate, but if someone was driving unsafely, and killed/maimed someone, then they should face the consequences. There are many ways of driving unsafely, and some out-dated speed limits are not the best guide as to whether someone is safe or not. That doesn't mean I don't think there should be any speed limits anywhere, but the speed limits we have aren't an accurate guide as to what is and isn't a safe speed to drive at. The limits appear to have been plucked out of thin air.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I don't. I try my best to get out of it, and when all else fails I take the pints and fine. Meanwhile, you can continue to think that some old out-dated sign is a better indicator of safety than your own judgement.

You can add drink driving to the charge, M'Lud

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here