Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Average Speed Cameras on Handcross Hill

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Do they work at night? They don't appear to have floodlights near the cameras to illuminate number plates in the dark as they did on the M25.

And 600+ speeding convictions along that stretch in a week?? I think they're fibbing.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Do they work at night? They don't appear to have floodlights near the cameras to illuminate number plates in the dark as they did on the M25.

And 600+ speeding convictions along that stretch in a week?? I think they're fibbing.

i doubt they are fibbing, i went that way last weekend and idiots were driving way to fast

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
600 over 7 days isn't huge - it works out as less than 4 per hour.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I got done by them at midnight. So yes, yes they do

Without wishing to drag up a painful experience, can you tell us what speed you were doing when caught, as am interested at what the tolerance is set at. My guess is c 45-47 mph?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Loads of people go way too quick through there for absolutely no reason. I like overtaking the twats about half a mile down the road after you come out of the works.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Thanks for the warning!

What I have always wanted to do, and probably will when I'm old and decrepid and don't care any more, is to have a flip switch so that I can change my licence plates to fake ones whenever going through speed cameras.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Without wishing to drag up a painful experience, can you tell us what speed you were doing when caught, as am interested at what the tolerance is set at. My guess is c 45-47 mph?

The letter I got said I was clocked doing 47mph.

Bit of a pisser but what can you do? Got no excuse really. Road was dead and I just didn't really think about it.

As I understand it most cameras have a tolerance threshold of 10% of the limit plus 2. That would mean they'd allow 46mph max. GRRRRR

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Drove up there last week and there was a notice displayed saying 2653 speeding convictions in the first month thats a lot of money and penalty points and still some chap went screaming past us and everybody else very fast, I suppose it could have been an undercover plain police car, but it was certainly moving at speed..

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The letter I got said I was clocked doing 47mph.

Bit of a pisser but what can you do? Got no excuse really. Road was dead and I just didn't really think about it.

As I understand it most cameras have a tolerance threshold of 10% of the limit plus 2. That would mean they'd allow 46mph max. GRRRRR

That's bloomin unlucky and hardly hammering it (awaits usual suspects gleefully telling us if you stick to 40 blah blah). What did you get-choice of awareness course or 3 points/fine?

What really winds me up is when the traffic slows to mid 30's on that stretch when busy. If everyone kept a sensible distance from each other and kept to a constant 40, rather than speed up then slow down, would help flow.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Or you could drive at <40mph. and lessen the chance of maiming or killing someone working on the road :wink:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Or you could drive at <40mph. and lessen the chance of maiming or killing someone working on the road :wink:

1 minute-impressive! As long as you never, ever break the speed limit! Thought not!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Drove up there last week and there was a notice displayed saying 2653 speeding convictions in the first month thats a lot of money and penalty points and still some chap went screaming past us and everybody else very fast, I suppose it could have been an undercover plain police car, but it was certainly moving at speed..

More likely false plates or stolen car!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
What I like about these threads is they become 'My knob is bigger than your knob' competitions, perpetuated by, you've guessed it, knobs :smile:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That's bloomin unlucky and hardly hammering it (awaits usual suspects gleefully telling us if you stick to 40 blah blah). What did you get-choice of awareness course or 3 points/fine?

I only got the letter last week so I don't know what they'll decide until I respond admitting I was the driver and then wait to hear back.

For what it's worth there were absolutely ZERO people working on the road at midnight so it's hard to see the harm in doing 47mph, but such is life

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ouch. What was your average speed?

EDIT - 47mph! Not that fast then. Surprised I haven't had anything through the letter box yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here