[Albion] Average Brighton signings that excited you at the time

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Alexis Nicolas. We were desperate for Championship quality at the time and he rolled in from Chelsea, looked good for a couple of games then just faded to nothing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ashley Neil - surely some talent would be in the genes
Graeme Smith - should've known
Jason Roberts - was ecstatic that we had signed him, turned out to be a rumour
Joe Kinnear - below average, useless
Frank Stapleton - big name, big disappointment
Russell Osman - ditto
plus, practically everyone we signed whilst at Gillingham except Culverhouse, Rod Thomas and Tony Brown

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
My earliest memories of unfulfilled promise were in the late 70's when we signed John Ruggierio, as he had a flare name.
Around the same time I thought we signed a couple of Peruvian players in the wake of the 78 World Cup which was highly exciting at the time but turned out to be not only disappointing but untrue.
I still get a wave of excitement when someone new signs.... usually followed by disappointment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That I don’t remember but I do remember going into full NSC mode at the time and writing him off as absolute shite after a couple of games, as I saw nothing that made him look any better than we already had, and no I don’t think he played too often.

Like you I thought at 120 k, which was a massive fee for where we were, he’d stand out from our other midfielders. As it turns out no better than Valur Gislasson who came along a year or two later as a hyped up Arsenal star in the making.

That wasn't NSC mode; that was just realism. I'm guessing his last game was actually prior to the first ever incarnation of NSC, which was around January 1997. If anything, the venting of your (correct) opinion of his shithouseness would've been done via the email forum, or in real life to actual people!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not a signing as such, but I was convinced for a week or so that we had the best player in the world playing for us after watching Abdul Razak against Ipswich.

Now playing in the second tier in Sweden.

I refuse to believe that this lazy wanker at any point reached the level of "average" over in England.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I refuse to believe that this lazy wanker at any point reached the level of "average" over in England.

It was the best ever Albion debut I have ever seen. He really did look the business, we were pinching ourselves that we had loaned a player of such quality. AMAZING performance

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Ashley Neil - surely some talent would be in the genes
Graeme Smith - should've known
Jason Roberts - was ecstatic that we had signed him, turned out to be a rumour
Joe Kinnear - below average, useless
Frank Stapleton - big name, big disappointment
Russell Osman - ditto
plus, practically everyone we signed whilst at Gillingham except Culverhouse, Rod Thomas and Tony Brown
Tony Browne?

RB? He was pretty decent. What happened to him. Can't find any history on the Google

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here