Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Average Brighton signings that excited you at the time

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Leon Best.

Only joking: he fulfilled every expectation I had of him.

Interesting to see how Jack Harper's career has panned out. Left us for Malaga. Spent a season and a bit in their B team. Loaned out to a second division side. Signed for Getafe last summer. Already been loaned out twice more to second division sides, including one who only got promoted last season, so akin to being loaned to Wycombe Wanderers. He was the Future of Scottish Football too.

Shame for the kid, given all the hype.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not goint to start another similar but slightly different thread because (i) it isn't about obscure music and (ii) I'm not [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION], but I feel inclined to reference a related phenomenon: the unanticipated bullet dodged.

Name a player were we absolutely gagging to sign, who broke our tiny hearts by opting to join a 'bigger' club, and who subsequently showed us (within a few short weeks in this case) that we had dodged a massive bullet after he totally stank the place out at the bigger club, then vanished without a trace?

I give you: Lorenzo ('Italia') Pinamonte.

Twunt.PNG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mickey Thomas for me.
I was excited when we signed him, but it was money well wasted.

Yep.

Mickey Thomas, Mickey Thomas, does your Mrs know you're here?

MUCH more recently, Martin Montoya. Barca? Champions League? Really?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not goint to start another similar but slightly different thread because (i) it isn't about obscure music and (ii) I'm not [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION], but I feel inclined to reference a related phenomenon: the unanticipated bullet dodged.

Name a player were we absolutely gagging to sign, who broke our tiny hearts by opting to join a 'bigger' club, and who subsequently showed us (within a few short weeks in this case) that we had dodged a massive bullet after he totally stank the place out at the bigger club, then vanished without a trace?

I give you: Lorenzo ('Italia') Pinamonte.

I'm not sure ANY player is going to top Mr Alexander Pritchard and his incredible sinking career here :clap:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tony Browne?

RB? He was pretty decent. What happened to him. Can't find any history on the Google

Yep. That’s him. I think he was a loanee from West Ham.
He played in that infamous win at Barnet on. Boxing Day when it was pissing hard and Ifijiagwa scored.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sure ANY player is going to top Mr Alexander Pritchard and his incredible sinking career here :clap:

Thought did cross my mind, but he did have 3 years and play more than 50 games in the premier league, so although it was a pleasure to see him relegated with Huddersfield.....he has done OK, and indeed it wasn't as if he'd been on loan with us, scored goals for us, got his own chant (OK, 'Italia' isn't a chant, but) and got all our hopes up. I was distraught when he went to Brentford. Pritchard? Just though he was a bit of a twit.

Still, after Lorenzo we got second pick - Bobby Zamora :love:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thought did cross my mind, but he did have 3 years and play more than 50 games in the premier league, so although it was a pleasure to see him relegated with Huddersfield.....he has done OK, and indeed it wasn't as if he'd been on loan with us, scored goals for us, got his own chant (OK, 'Italia' isn't a chant, but) and got all our hopes up. I was distraught when he went to Brentford. Pritchard? Just though he was a bit of a twit.

True. But the fee agreed was about £8m, which was a lot for us at the time, and he was viewed (by both us and Norwich) as the missing piece of the jigsaw. He did OK for Norwich, but has never really had a regular run in the side at Huddersfield, and many of his 50 appearances have been off the bench. I doubt fighting to get into a side struggling to avoid relegation to League One was quite where he saw his career panning out, when he decided to carry on around the M25 that day.

Lovely. Yep, I am still bitter and yes, I still find it hilarious (especially after that 5-0 at the Amex, followed by his angry girlfriend giving us the bird outside the Amex as they walked back to their car :lolol:).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True. But the fee agreed was about £8m, which was a lot for us at the time, and he was viewed (by both us and Norwich) as the missing piece of the jigsaw. He did OK for Norwich, but has never really had a regular run in the side at Huddersfield, and many of his 50 appearances have been off the bench. I doubt fighting to get into a side struggling to avoid relegation to League One was quite where he saw his career panning out, when he decided to carry on around the M25 that day.

Lovely. Yep, I am still bitter and yes, I still find it hilarious (especially after that 5-0 at the Amex, followed by his angry girlfriend giving us the bird outside the Amex as they walked back to their car :lolol:).

:lolol: Fair enough. Perhaps if Pinamonte had returned with Brentford and scored two lovely goals, pinging the ball off the bar and onto the back of the keeper's head in the process, you'd feel a little more delighted by his subsequent rapid and ignominious descent into the tiny bowels of oblivion. :wink:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Suttner. Sammy Nelson. Neil Smillie. Paddy McCourt (not sure he fits the thread title, but I thought he was going to be BRILLIANT).

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Not a signing as such, but I was convinced for a week or so that we had the best player in the world playing for us after watching Abdul Razak against Ipswich.
nte's

Didn't see all of Vicente's wonder moments, so my vote for the best performance ever seen at the Amex from a home player would be Razak. Thought we had Yaya Toure. He was BRILLIANT.

I was excited to get James Wilson from Man Utd...........................rubbish :down:

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
Anyone of a similar age to me that doesn’t say Mark Farrington is frankly lying.

For a start we paid actual money for him - something like £100k AND he came from Feyenoord. The actual Feyenoord.

Absolutely this.

Me and my fellow longtime Albion friends have always used the term "Another Farrington" even to this day when we sign someone who is a bit of a flop.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Chivers, Worthington, Case, many, many more down the years. Lallana, Welbeck now and I'll probably like the January signing as well.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oh yes, Martin Chivers. I don’t even think we saw his long throw

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I thought Kemy Agustine was going to do the business for us, sadly I think we can probably blame his laziness and Piglets Pies for his immediate decline after signing for us.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was inexplicably excited about Geoff Pitcher. Not even sure he ever made the first team

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He must have payed a dozen or so times for us. I can remember him wearing the stripes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here