Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Average Brighton signings that excited you at the time

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was my answer. Tribunal set the fee at 120K, which was a huge fee for a 4th Division player in 1996, so I assumed that he'd be our star player. Don't think he even played once Gritt had been appointed, did he?

That I don’t remember but I do remember going into full NSC mode at the time and writing him off as absolute shite after a couple of games, as I saw nothing that made him look any better than we already had, and no I don’t think he played too often.

Like you I thought at 120 k, which was a massive fee for where we were, he’d stand out from our other midfielders. As it turns out no better than Valur Gislasson who came along a year or two later as a hyped up Arsenal star in the making.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Anyone of a similar age to me that doesn’t say Mark Farrington is frankly lying.

For a start we paid actual money for him - something like £100k AND he came from Feyenoord. The actual Feyenoord.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone of a similar age to me that doesn’t say Mark Farrington is frankly lying.

For a start we paid actual money for him - something like £100k AND he came from Feyenoord. The actual Feyenoord.

He was the first big disappointing signing.
I saw him in a reserve game score an absolutely brilliant goal though

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Craig Mackail-Smith
Micky Adams' second spell as manager!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't remember getting excited by a player signing, most of them I'd never heard of.

Jimmy Case being an exception, but he was bang above average

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
For some reason I remember being really excited about Federico Turienzo, which obviously led to disappointment further down the line.

But I agree with the previous poster regarding Jack Harper. Signing a forward from Real Madrid would've blown my tiny little mind in the Withdean Years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Excited by the signings of Bobby Smith, Ken Beamish and Mick Robinson - but they all turned out pretty well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Excited by the signings of Bobby Smith, Ken Beamish and Mick Robinson - but they all turned out pretty well.

And will you now tell us about players you would have liked the club to have signed, but we didn't, and then their career didn't amount to much after all? In exchange I can tell you what I had for lunch today. It was nothing, because I skipped lunch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Craig Mackail Smith.
Joe Kinnear
Richie Towel

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And will you now tell us about players you would have liked the club to have signed, but we didn't, and then their career didn't amount to much after all? In exchange I can tell you what I had for lunch today. It was nothing, because I skipped lunch.

I wasn't planning on it, no. I had a chicken casserole for lunch though. I wasn't disappointed with that either.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I was excited by the signing of Ray McHale from Swindon for some reason in the early 80's.
I don't know if Swindon had a cup run or it was because of Panini sticker albums that made me aware of him but he didn't really succeed with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here