Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] At the moment, Graham Potter is too good for Brighton. He needs better players.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would honestly be happy to clear out most of them, but would still keep Maup, Zequiri, Connolly in the squad. Tau needs a chance to be fair.

Probably a controversial opinion, but particularly done with Trossard, Lallana and Welbeck.

Super happy with Sanchez, all our defence and our midfield.

The players you mention that you think should retain places in the team. They are the players I would expect Dan Ashworth to say should retain places in the team.

With the exception of Sanchez. None of them have played consistently well enough to Warrant a place in the side ahead of some others.

In fact I would go as far as to say I would offload them in the summer and look for players who bring more consistency. That won't happen because Ashworth was responsible for the purchase of some of them and that would be him admitting failure .

Good Executive Directors are the ones who can admit their failings. Get them out the door quickly and replace them with better quality or more consistency.

There are too many players being held on to because Ashworth was partially complicit in signing them.

This thread is about Graham Potter needing better players. If that's the case the certain people need to accept their errors in the transfer market and stop
persistingg with players who are falling short.

I didn't write the article but if people give it any merit then they first have to accept that recruitment has been largely erroneous.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
But only 39% of minutes.

Yes - more minutes played than Lamptey, Mac Allister, Propper, Alzate, Connolly, Welbeck and Jahanbakksh.

He's been available for more than 80% of our matches either starting or on the bench which is probably more than most thought he'd be before the season started. I'd be surprised if anyone thought he would be available for that many games judging by his age and injury record. His signing was also clearly not just about his playing ability but also his experience, mentality and with a view to coaching.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
But he’s only ever played one half for us am I right? Happy to be corrected if wrong.

It’s funny, when first rumoured I was not happy about the Lallana signing. Then when he signed I got taken in by the concept (play the odd game, help the young players), but I can only go by what I’ve seen on the pitch and I’ve been totally let down. I can’t remember a good game he’s had, maybe the first half against Fulham?

Back in October / November he was consistently playing 60+ minutes, and played the entirety of at least two matches (Tottenham and Burnley). I had quick flick through the BBC reports to check since I remembered him playing quite a lot at that stage of the season.

Was also playing well at that point, there was a lot of moaning after the West Brom game as he'd been taken off after 60minutes and people felt he should have been left on. I don't think he or Potter were confident enough in his fitness at that point for him to play more than that. He did play longer in the following games.

I like him either as a starter (even if he doesn't play the whole game, it's not unreasonable to bring on fresh legs at about 70min anyway) or coming on as a sub to bring a bit of experience to the side in the latter stages.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
But he’s only ever played one half for us am I right? Happy to be corrected if wrong.

It’s funny, when first rumoured I was not happy about the Lallana signing. Then when he signed I got taken in by the concept (play the odd game, help the young players), but I can only go by what I’ve seen on the pitch and I’ve been totally let down. I can’t remember a good game he’s had, maybe the first half against Fulham?

He's played the full 90 minutes 3 times and at least 45 minutes 8 times including 75, 78, 61 and 86 minutes in those matches so a lot more than you think.

And I'm amazed you can only remember the Fulham game. Look back over the match or player ratings threads in the games he's played decent minutes and you'll see lots of positive comments and ratings. Off the top of my head he played well against Chelsea, Man United, Palace away, Villa, Fulham away, West Brom at home and Burnley at home.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He's played the full 90 minutes 3 times and at least 45 minutes 8 times including 75, 78, 61 and 86 minutes in those matches so a lot more than you think.

And I'm amazed you can only remember the Fulham game. Look back over the match or player ratings threads in the games he's played decent minutes and you'll see lots of positive comments and ratings. Off the top of my head he played well against Chelsea, Man United, Palace away, Villa, Fulham away, West Brom at home and Burnley at home.

Happy to be proven wrong if so [emoji106] if Lallana can help us win games I’m all for it. In recent months it seems he’s been unable to play more than a half. In which case hopefully he can get back to his earlier season levels.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Yes - more minutes played than Lamptey, Mac Allister, Propper, Alzate, Connolly, Welbeck and Jahanbakksh.

He's been available for more than 80% of our matches either starting or on the bench which is probably more than most thought he'd be before the season started. I'd be surprised if anyone thought he would be available for that many games judging by his age and injury record. His signing was also clearly not just about his playing ability but also his experience, mentality and with a view to coaching.

What do other players injuries have to do with Lallana?

Agreed that his signing was also for his experience, leadership etc. but I think we would have hoped for a bigger contribution on the field.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
The players you mention that you think should retain places in the team. They are the players I would expect Dan Ashworth to say should retain places in the team.

With the exception of Sanchez. None of them have played consistently well enough to Warrant a place in the side ahead of some others.

In fact I would go as far as to say I would offload them in the summer and look for players who bring more consistency. That won't happen because Ashworth was responsible for the purchase of some of them and that would be him admitting failure .

Good Executive Directors are the ones who can admit their failings. Get them out the door quickly and replace them with better quality or more consistency.

There are too many players being held on to because Ashworth was partially complicit in signing them.

This thread is about Graham Potter needing better players. If that's the case the certain people need to accept their errors in the transfer market and stop

I didn't write the article but if people give it any merit then they first have to accept that recruitment has been largely erroneous.

I write this with a genuine question, but worry that it appears confrontational - it genuinely isn't! My perception from a (small) number of posts that I think I have read on various threads is that you are specifically sceptical of Dan Ashworth and his role. I think you might have suggested, or I have interpreted that GP is almost told that player x and y must play -possibly Ben White for example? I just wonder what it is that tells you that?
On the face of it that might appear concerning if GP would make different decisions but has his hands tied on who plays when. Although it could also be that the senior members of the Club, including GP agree on which players have the potential to create profit and agree a strategy to make that happen - 1st XI playing time, loans etc. May be way off with the perception, but interested to know what irks you about Ashworth and his role ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Interesting thoughts re Ashworth....knowing your background on here and I don’t mean that as snide remark! Genuinely interesting and a little worrying if true

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Based on?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If you are right about Potter and Bielsa, then we should be roughly 1 season behind Leeds. Next season should be a really exciting season for us.

IF we stay up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back in October / November he was consistently playing 60+ minutes, and played the entirety of at least two matches (Tottenham and Burnley). I had quick flick through the BBC reports to check since I remembered him playing quite a lot at that stage of the season.

Was also playing well at that point, there was a lot of moaning after the West Brom game as he'd been taken off after 60minutes and people felt he should have been left on. I don't think he or Potter were confident enough in his fitness at that point for him to play more than that. He did play longer in the following games.

I like him either as a starter (even if he doesn't play the whole game, it's not unreasonable to bring on fresh legs at about 70min anyway) or coming on as a sub to bring a bit of experience to the side in the latter stages.

On that final point, that’s exactly how the club managed Orlandi. It works and is sensible.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is so obvious but some still don’t seem to get it. Astonishing

I doubt there is an Albion fan in the world who doesn’t get it! Getting angry and stressed about it won’t change anything. TB has his reasons even if we scratch our heads about it whilst refusing to fund the player we need :lolol:

I gather there are some NSC posters who could do it from their petty cash if they wanted :wink:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Your attitude stinks. Show some passion and get really, really angry with the club.

Right, that’s done it I am going to post a Potter Out or Bloom Out poll with no Fence or In option

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I doubt there is an Albion fan in the world who doesn’t get it! Getting angry and stressed about it won’t change anything. TB has his reasons even if we scratch our heads about it whilst refusing to fund the player we need :lolol:

I gather there are some NSC posters who could do it from their petty cash if they wanted :wink:

There are NSC posters who actively promote that striker is not our main problem. Step forward Swanny and his cronies...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There are NSC posters who actively promote that striker is not our main problem. Step forward Swanny and his cronies...

Now where did I put that chair and Pringles?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Your attitude stinks. Show some passion and get really, really angry with the club.

IF we go down due to our sh1t shot conversion, THEN my ‘anger’ will look like a mild admonishment compared to the resultant NSC outrage...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Now where did I put that chair and Pringles?

Get involved... it will be ‘fun’ and you know it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here