Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A rubbish result on a day when we made too many mistakes.
However, our players never stopped trying and it looks like we escaped getting any injuries.
We have had a brilliant start to the season and today was the start of a five game run of fixtures against previous European champions.
What an achievement to get into the position we're currently in.

DSC04482.JPG

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
A very level headed post, some of our fans like to put down single players. But as a team we were half a yard slow to the ball and Ollie Watkins was on fire.
Good experience and I am sure we will learn by it for when they come to the Amex.
McGinn’s comments after the game on TNT / BT basically said they expected a backlash at the Amex. I hope they get it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My take on the Baleba/Hinshelwood dilemma is that Carlos was out on his feet after an hour against Chelsea, which suggests he’s not yet up to Premier League pace. Looks a good prospect though. RDZ has often said that it takes players quite a while to adapt to what he wants from them. Hinshelwood understands exactly what that is having been around the club a lot longer - and having been decent in his cameos, that earned his start.

I suppose today we looked what we are, a very young team that will really struggle sometimes when things are going wrong.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
This is going to be a very tough period for us as I doubt we'll get much from the next few fixtures in terms of points, but I really hope this might provide some really useful experience for the players; especially when we continue through the season.

We certainly performed badly, you can see that from the result and that might continue for now, but if the team can work from this and continue to learn from their mistakes then I feel like this will only make us a better squad.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This is going to be a very tough period for us as I doubt we'll get much from the next few fixtures in terms of points, but I really hope this might provide some really useful experience for the players; especially when we continue through the season.

We certainly performed badly, you can see that from the result and that might continue for now, but if the team can work from this and continue to learn from their mistakes then I feel like this will only make us a better squad.
Agree with this.

Today was very bad, but if the same mistakes aren't made in future then we should improve long term.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree with this.

Today was very bad, but if the same mistakes aren't made in future then we should improve long term.
Pretty much the same mistakes have been made - four times so far this season. We can't defend breakaways/fast direct attacks. Well, five really - we got away with them against B'muff.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My take on the Baleba/Hinshelwood dilemma is that Carlos was out on his feet after an hour against Chelsea, which suggests he’s not yet up to Premier League pace. Looks a good prospect though. RDZ has often said that it takes players quite a while to adapt to what he wants from them. Hinshelwood understands exactly what that is having been around the club a lot longer - and having been decent in his cameos, that earned his start.

I suppose today we looked what we are, a very young team that will really struggle sometimes when things are going wrong.

He could’ve played both and not the failed experiment of two centre forwards.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I over indulged yesterday and was in bed by 7pm !
I just woke up to this !!!!!
What the fook happened !
Did we forget how to play !

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I over indulged yestetday and was in bed by 8pm !
I just woke up to this !!!!!
What the fook happened !
Did we forget how to play !

With a vastly more expensive and superior squad, Emery played three great centre midfielders, who from the first second destroyed two lightweights. The experiment, again, of playing two centre forwards when no one else does meant we were outnumbered everywhere.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Balanced and sensible, unemotional post imo

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Not the most enjoyable 24h door-to-door following our beloved team but I least I can revel in reading the match day thread fully in the morning!😊
Onward to Marseille and an improvement hopefully - UTA!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Had 6 missed calls off my Villa supporting relative yesterday. Finally had to answer this morning "You'll never beat the Villa!" he was singing down the phone. He seems sure they will finish top 3 this season and on yesterday's display it seems hard to disagree with him. He was magnanimous enough to say the scoreline was slightly flattering and better teams than Brighton have been despatched at Villa Park in the calendar year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here