Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Webster is woeful
What is it that has happened to turn our previously reliable and capable defence/defenders into wobbling jellies or sieves?
Webster, Dunk and Veltman have, in the past, proved their worth and shown their class.
Are they now crap or has the manager’s tactics and constant team changes undermined our stability?
Just asking those who are regular attendees at the matches.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
FWIW on TNT, they've said that RDZ is coming up in a post-match interview. Thought I'd mention for those who have already switched over/off.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
What is it that has happened to turn our previously reliable and capable defence/defenders into wobbling jellies or sieves?
Webster, Dunk and Veltman have, in the past, proved their worth and shown their class.
Are they now crap or has the manager’s tactics and constant team changes undermined our stability?
Not having a strong, tenacious, ball-winning defensive midfielder to shield them definitely isn't helping.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Hard to defend when you've got fast agile players running at you with speed and you're backtracking. Those three players you've listed are not suited for defending counterattacks

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
As much as people going into a full panic on the back of this one result is probably overreacting, ignoring it and pretending everything is fine is probably wrong too.

It's not the end of the season, but we just got absolutely stuffed, and that's concerning. We've been just too shit since Athens.

I'm beginning to dread Marseille...
I was being sarcastic earlier with the season falling apart bit. 😄

Still so much to play for - Marseille's form in the French Ligue 1 at the moment is terrible. Need a result there.

elgordohill

Jul 21, 2014
I’m over it👍. The club moves on. I just feel it’s going to take more than a few more weeks on the training ground to fill the gap. With such a great start, it’s hard not to get carried away.

Granted, when Pascal plays, anything is possible.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Most realistic people realised this season would be a hard ask with top 10 and a decent innings in Europe representing a good season.

I do admit to getting wrapped up in our start to the Season and began to think maybe we could aim for higher.

But realistically my initial thought that top 10 would represent a good season for us still stands - we have a good 15 or so players (most of them in attacking positions) but not enough to play well in both Europe and the League. Gross and Enciso have been massive losses.

RDZ needs to take this on the chin and learn also, we need to learn as a Club how to rotate the team for these competitions without chancing the whole 11 every match.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If I had to describe our performance in one word, it would be “listless.”

From the look on De Zerbi’s face throughout the match, I think he knows he’s got things wrong.

Nonetheless, we gave GP several seasons, I don’t feel there was any lack of effort on the part of the players, I’m 100% team De Zerbi, I just hope that the coaching team and the players can bring us through to a place where we’re firing on all cylinders quickly.
This, we really need to get a result against Marseille to boost confidence after that result.
With Liverpool, Manchester City and then Ajax coming up after Marseille, this could really test the squad and Roberto's management skills.
I can envisage people on here calling for his head at the end of October, which with those fixtures would be insane even if we lost them all.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Wrong lineup and tactics, we lost before kickoff but VAR didn't help and sub par performances from our usually dependable players mixed in with Webster back to his old, error prone self, Steele looked like he was playing for Sunderland and March back to the Potter version of barn door March. Welbeck and Ferguson don't seem to play well together up top.
that being said, good to see Fati get a goal and Pedro put in a good performance.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Surely the former contradicts the latter?

Well, perhaps listless should be replaced with ineffective. Villa had obviously done their homework, but I’d hoped that our players could find a way through.

I (like many others) wonder if the 2 x strikers vs. an extra man in midfield was the right call, but we want to give RDZ a chance to learn the necessary pragmatism for the PL, rather than throw our toys out the pram.

Sometimes you have a game where every shot against you goes in, this was one of those games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here