Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa throwing themselves to the floor.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
There is no comparison in the scale Harry. That’s the point being made on this thread. Saying what about this or that player doing it occasionally does not negate the point about the industrial scale of cheating indulged in by Grealish and Trezeguet.

Exactly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't get the adoration for Grealish at all. He's just a poundland Zaha.

I think Grealish has much better end product potential than Zaha (goals & assists) but he is a bit more cynical.

Zaha reserves most of his diving for the penalty area and does not aim to get players sent off by putting his body in front of them and diving like Grealish. Grealish introduces an horrific start/stop into any game he is involved in as he is always looking to get a foul as a priority, anywhere on the pitch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It would be interesting to see a Villa training session to see how much they spend on diving, and whether they target opposition players to dive around.
It's about time that referees started producing yellow cards for diving, with VAR backing them up.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It would be interesting to see a Villa training session to see how much they spend on diving, and whether they target opposition players to dive around.
It's about time that referees started producing yellow cards for diving, with VAR backing them up.
Must admit I'd not seen that much of Villa until the game v us and then last night.

Without a doubt the biggest cheats in the league.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nope. I hate it when our player dives. Just admit it is you who'd not be bothered.

Yes mate.

Totally agree. It's an embarrassment to our club. Would happily berate our own players for doing it if at the ground

SAC

May 21, 2014
All (or a very high percentage of) players go down with minimal contact and opposition fans claim a dive. Grealish gets fouled a lot and subsequently goes down a lot but he also is going down with absolutely no contact and getting away with it and he will continue to do so until he starts getting booked or retrospective banned.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think Grealish gets 'fouled' any more than any other player in the same situations

Grealish looks for it and plays for it, deliberately getting himself in a position where he takes a touch from the opposing player just as they're about to attempt to play the ball. He spends half the game watching opposition players to see what they're going to do, then get in their way, and get awarded a free kick for contact, as opposed to what most footballers do which is watch and play the ball.

Kane does it too . . . Lallana penalty being the most recent example of deliberate cheating to win, its not football its not sporting its playing a 'game' to get a result by hook or by crook.

It way beyond the time when the FA and officials need to sit down and say this is not football and goes against the spirit of the game, and clamp down on it.

If VAR had looked subjectively at say the Kane Lallana incident you could argue Kane should have been booked for dangerous play, not looking at the ball, playing the man.

and breath. . . .

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

We all know that it goes on and I haven't hear anyone say that it is a good thing. BUT, all the time it is legitimised on different fronts we are stuck with it. "Clever" "He invited the contact" "he drew the foul" "minimal contact" are the language that is used, wrongly in my opinion, on this topic - it makes it seem acceptable, somehow puts the fault at the "naiive" defender. Until it is called what it is and treated as such, Grealish and his ilk will continue to develop this part of their game. To be honest, it annoys me when defenders do it too - they are backed into a corner and down they go to relieve the pressure. The wish to protect the players who run with the ball has been turned into a stick to beat good defending : Ben White's tackle on Jota : I think everyone but the referee called that a good tackle, but a player going to ground and tackling is almost expected to be a free kick by the opposition.
The worst thing I find with Grealish is the laughing and verbals he does with the opposition immediately afterwards : Absolute feigned indignation for the referees benefit, that he has been fouled AGAIN, and smarmy laughing at the opposition player who has suggested to Grealish that he cheated. Last night he knew he was winding West Ham up (As he did Lamptey) and he continued to do so looking to prompt a reaction. As much as I don't like Chris Sutton as a pundit, his "Diver of the week" is at least a nod in the right direction. I suggest he waits until Villa have played before naming his culprit in the future.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Footballer gets breathed on - screams as he hits the floor and writhes in agony.

Formula 1 driver hits barrier at 150mph, suffers 53G retardation, is engulfed in flames - hops over barrier and runs away.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Footballer gets breathed on - screams as he hits the floor and writhes in agony.

Formula 1 driver hits barrier at 150mph, suffers 53G retardation, is engulfed in flames - hops over barrier and runs away.

Same as Cricket, Batsman misses a hard ball traveling at 80MPH that thumps into his rib cage...he tries his/ her best at showing no pain and faces the same a minuet later...Pro football is for woosies.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Same as Cricket, Batsman misses a hard ball traveling at 80MPH that thumps into his rib cage...he tries his/ her best at showing no pain and faces the same a minuet later...Pro football is for woosies.

Careful, you could have chosen a more PC description . . . like Big girls blouses. or pansies.:facepalm:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

He just waltzes back to the crease.

I agree with all these (and cycling, crash break your back, get back on and finish the race). But if in each case if you won if you got hurt, you would likely find more people getting hurt.

At the moment footballers are winning through feigning significant contact and making an absolute mountain out of a grain of salt.

They need to stop winning, then it will stop, because you can be sure a player won't be writhing on the ground crying as the other team legitimately starts attacking.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
when Tricky Lamptey got his 2nd yellow on Greasy Grealish last week, he seemed to be telling the ref "I didn't touch him" over and over again..

I didn't see any definitive angles that showed how much (or little) contact there was .. if any.

Grealish seems to deliberately get a foot in front of Tariq and then jack-knifes to the floor squealing, but did he get touched?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If VAR is to be any use at all, perhaps it should be used retrospectively to hand out one match bans for dives that were missed during the game - not the same referees as ran the game or were VARs at the time, obviously.
Perhaps they could also concentrate on 'ungentlemanly conduct' - which I think is still an offence on the laws of the game; this would apply to exaggeration in order to persuade the referee to dish out pens, free kicks and cards. So, a gentle nudge may be a genuine penalty (unfortunately, but that's the law at the moment) but a sanction could be applied for ungentlemanly conduct if the player nudged goes down like he'd been hit by a sniper whilst treading on a landmine, clutching at his face in 'agony'.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
It’s been going on for years, England’s golden boy Rooney cheated for club pens. Mourinho’s Porto were talented but contained an array of diving cheats such as Deco.

The rules/interpretations from FIFA downwards were forced on our game first, in increments.

Overnight each time, clubs coached the new openings to cheating.

Villa have taken it to an industrial level.

A Villa fan on the internet tonight defended it with “Our players are so used to being repeatedly fouled, they’re now anticipating it”.

How about simply trying to advance upfield and score, until genuinely brought down?

Crikey even Owen went down a bit easily against the Argies in the 2002 World Cup. We let him off. Some even accused Wardy of going down under a barrage of defenders' heavy breathing. We reached the point a long time ago when something has to be done, and the comment is absolutely spot on. Villa have taken it to another level and illustrated that it is cheating, NOT simulation.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
True.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here