Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe just gone stale and needs a change of direction, it happens.

3-4 years is a bit long. Barnes is proving himself a better goalscorer and is much younger, improving all the time. Would be an illogical move unless it was Doyle + a lot of money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Barnes isn't about to sign a new contract I think people are being a little short-sighted to say it is good news if Burnley have given up.

I would prefer him to sign a new deal and stay but if not, it is sound business sense - particularly for a club likely to post annual losses of more than £8million - to cash in while they can. In which case, the more bidders/interest, the higher the price.

Depends if selling him for a million and being unable to replace him with a forward who brings at least as much to the team, and given our record with strikers over the last 10 years that is likely, weighed against keeping him until the end of the season in the hope that he can help us get promoted? The figure of 1 million then becomes peanuts, a gamble I'd be willing to take tbh. I think your underestimation of Barnes is just as short sighted personally.

Even if he doesn't sign this window, there is no guarantee that he won't sign again before the beginning of next season either.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Barnes to Wolves, with some sort of deal involving Kevin Doyle coming this way.......

God I hope not. Good player once but his scoring record for the last couple of years is shocking for someone who was supposedly PL quality. My mate who has a ST at Wolves thinks he has gone completely.

Plus a bit old to swap for a 24yr old holding his own at this level on considerably less wages...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
3-4 years is a bit long. Barnes is proving himself a better goalscorer and is much younger, improving all the time. Would be an illogical move unless it was Doyle + a lot of money.

Doyle will be on much higher wages, probably more than CMS.

PG

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I thought Wolves were one of the few clubs that run at a small profit? In fact, I believe that they were entirely debt-free at the time they were relegated from the Premier League (only in 2012!!).

I stand corrected.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If Barnes isn't about to sign a new contract I think people are being a little short-sighted to say it is good news if Burnley have given up.

I would prefer him to sign a new deal and stay but if not, it is sound business sense - particularly for a club likely to post annual losses of more than £8million - to cash in while they can. In which case, the more bidders/interest, the higher the price.

I thought the received wisdom of NSC was that we need to retain his services as he is vital to our promotion bid!? (I'm not so sure we can spunk £750k to £1M up the wall either TBH!)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can we take it that Burnley bidding for Lucas Jutkiewitz might mean they have been told to **** off for good by Tony? (It is after all his money to spunk up the wall if he so chooses)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can we take it that Burnley bidding for Lucas Jutkiewitz might mean they have been told to **** off by Tony?

I posted a quote from Dyche in post #41 but will post it again as I think it has a bearing.

“There are a number of irons in fires. There’s an order of business because we haven’t just got the finance to throw it at six or seven so we’ll see how the next few days develops,” said the Clarets boss"

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can we take it that Burnley bidding for Lucas Jutkiewitz might mean they have been told to **** off for good by Tony? (It is after all his money to spunk up the wall if he so chooses)

Here's hoping. Now all he has to do is tell Gus to **** off (again!)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Depends if selling him for a million and being unable to replace him with a forward who brings at least as much to the team, and given our record with strikers over the last 10 years that is likely, weighed against keeping him until the end of the season in the hope that he can help us get promoted? The figure of 1 million then becomes peanuts, a gamble I'd be willing to take tbh. I think your underestimation of Barnes is just as short sighted personally.

Even if he doesn't sign this window, there is no guarantee that he won't sign again before the beginning of next season either.

I don't think I underestimate his importance. I certainly think he has improved his game a lot recently and, as I said, I would rather not lose him. But, in my opinion, Ashley Barnes is not a player on who our promotion chances rest. A good player. An improving player. But not in the same league of importance as say Ulloa, Matt Upson or Tomasz Kuszczak.

With losses of £8million plus I don't think we are in a position to gamble the best part of £1million on promotion.

Look at it this way, if we don't sell Barnes, lose him for free in the summer and therefore miss out on a decent fee, will people be happy to make up the shortfall in increased ticket prices?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Here's hoping. Now all he has to do is tell Gus to **** off (again!)

He could be biding his time on that one and stretching it out, as the old cliché goes "revenge is a dish best served cold" :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thanks for the quote. What intrigues is that Barnes and Jutkiewitz are totally different types of forward in terms of flexibility and style which seems to indicate that Dyche is persuaded by Barnes as an out and out striker. I suspect many of Barnes' admirers on here would also agree that his adaptability has gone against him over the last couple of years and that he (like CMS) would have benefitted greatly from playing in a two up front.

I posted a quote from Dyche in post #41 but will post it again as I think it has a bearing.

“There are a number of irons in fires. There’s an order of business because we haven’t just got the finance to throw it at six or seven so we’ll see how the next few days develops,” said the Clarets boss"

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He could be biding his time on that one and stretching it out, as the old cliché goes "revenge is a dish best served cold" :thumbsup:

That thought definitely warrants another :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think I underestimate his importance. I certainly think he has improved his game a lot recently and, as I said, I would rather not lose him. But, in my opinion, Ashley Barnes is not a player on who our promotion chances rest. A good player. An improving player. But not in the same league of importance as say Ulloa, Matt Upson or Tomasz Kuszczak.

With losses of £8million plus I don't think we are in a position to gamble the best part of £1million on promotion.

Look at it this way, if we don't sell Barnes, lose him for free in the summer and therefore miss out on a decent fee, will people be happy to make up the shortfall in increased ticket prices?

We'll have to agree to differ on this one, in the grand scheme of things at the moment £1,000,000 is not that massive, especially as Barnes not signing before the end of the window does not necessarily mean that he won't sign in the summer or before, if Oscar wants him. It seems as though he is highly rated within the club otherwise we'd have got shot already.

I'm not sure season ticket prices will be affected by whether or not we sell Barnes though.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I might be wrong but still receiving parachute payments I believe.

Indeed, this season will be only their second season of receiving payments (so two more seasons after this as well, I think). They received 15.6million last season; not sure of the exact figure for 2013-14, but I think it will be north of 10million again.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed, this season will be only their second season of receiving payments (so two more seasons after this as well, I think). They received 15.6million last season; not sure of the exact figure for 2013-14, but I think it will be north of 10million again.

Yes, and they have the wages to match. Hence Ward on loan to us, for example.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would we not be better to keep Barnes until we are sure that CMS is going to be ok and also the same standard as he was pre injury. It appears that whenever he starts training again he breaks down so there must be an element of doubt about his return.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Will he actually be required to live in Burnley town centre?..........or are you overstating a sad old cliché ......go on - I've cued it up for you Brucie.

Ooooh get her

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports