Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Could you name 10 you'd want to pay more?
Ulloa, Ward, Kuzcack and Bridcutt, can't think of may others

It's not as easy as saying WANT to pay more, we have a budget to stick to and CMS, Upson, Buckers, Orlandi, Bruno, Lopez, Crofts, Andrews are all on a fairly hefty weekly wage IMO.

The key sum for us is - can we get someone better in with the fee + the additional wage that Barnes wants saved? Only from abroad I'd imagine.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Even when CMS is fit?

CMS is a long way off being match fit, he may be back in full training at the end of the month but it will take him at least another month to catch up with full fitness and fitting in with what Oscar wants.

Most clubs have 4 or 5 strikers and we only have 2 at the moment so if Ulloa gets injured again it would be suicide to let Barnes go now.

We can afford to let Bridcutt go but Barnes is a must keep.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was in his position I would think that if the club accept a bid for me they dont really want me to stay so I would be off to protect my family and myself.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I was in his position I would think that if the club accept a bid for me they dont really want me to stay so I would be off to protect my family and myself.

That's a very one-sided way of looking at it. He's had the offer of a contract extension on the table for some time. They wouldn't have offered it if they didn't want him to stay.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We've yet to see whether CMS will be a part of Oscar's plans. He's limited in terms of ability in my opinion, apart from running like a girl very fast (hopefully I'll be proved wrong).

He was wasted by Gus IMHO and was still on for 20+ goals last season, before his unfortunate injuries (he had scored 10/11 before being crocked). I think that merits a bit more respect than your 'running like a girl' comment.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He was wasted by Gus IMHO and was still on for 20+ goals last season, before his unfortunate injuries (he had scored 10/11 before being crocked). I think that merits a bit more respect than your 'running like a girl' comment.

Hardly 20+, he scored 11 in 33 appearances and was injured early March. He would have scored 14 overall at that rate with the 11 games left. I hope Garcia gets him to play, but I'm not expecting much this season especially as pace is a massive part of his game and he's been out for so long.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Consistently? I only mentioned it twice in a response. He said himself he ignores the negatives in the crowd so he knows they're there.

Every club has negative comments coming from the home fans-Burnley are no different although they are 'northern' so there'll be more likelihood of moaning from day 1.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of the three who are being linked with moves this month, Barnes is the one I'd be most disappointed- and surprised- to lose.

Bridcutt: we have other options & he hasn't played much anyway. We've coped. Buckley has been largely awful this season, plus we have LuaLua, March & potentially Conway too.

I don't see how we could replace what Barnes brings to the team easily. I really hope he stays.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
CMS is a long way off being match fit, he may be back in full training at the end of the month but it will take him at least another month to catch up with full fitness and fitting in with what Oscar wants.

Most clubs have 4 or 5 strikers and we only have 2 at the moment so if Ulloa gets injured again it would be suicide to let Barnes go now.

We can afford to let Bridcutt go but Barnes is a must keep.

I agree with you but let's say hypothetically Burnley are offering to double Barnes wage and we aren't prepared to do it, we are probably better off getting some money in for him now and scouring the loan market unless Barnes is going to be the difference between us going up and not going up. This is where the chairman and chief exec earn their stripes, big decisions to be made.

On a personal note, I'd be very upset to see Ash go. He's improved as player massively under Poyet and now Garcia. It's to his immense credit that a club in Burnley's position are sniffing round him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hardly 20+, he scored 11 in 33 appearances and was injured early March. He would have scored 14 overall at that rate with the 11 games left. I hope Garcia gets him to play, but I'm not expecting much this season especially as pace is a massive part of his game and he's been out for so long.

11 in 29, that's about 17 or 18 for a 46 game season. You are probably right about not to expect much this season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of the three who are being linked with moves this month, Barnes is the one I'd be most disappointed- and surprised- to lose.

Bridcutt: we have other options & he hasn't played much anyway. We've coped. Buckley has been largely awful this season, plus we have LuaLua, March & potentially Conway too.

I don't see how we could replace what Barnes brings to the team easily. I really hope he stays.

Ulloa plays better in the lone striker role than Barnes (the former is just a better player), but we would have to 'replace' Barnes if he went. Definitely NOT irreplaceable; nobody is, well maybe Messi.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's a very one-sided way of looking at it. He's had the offer of a contract extension on the table for some time. They wouldn't have offered it if they didn't want him to stay.
The flip side of the coin is the club offered Glen Murray what he considered to be a minimal amount to stay and we do not know how much Barnes increase is, if in fact it is an increase.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well it depends how you bend the stats and what you believe.

No stats bending by me. 11 in 29 in the league, equivalent to about 17.5 in a season, and I could see him getting 20+ quite easily.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ulloa plays better in the lone striker role than Barnes (the former is just a better player), but we would have to 'replace' Barnes if he went. Definitely NOT irreplaceable; nobody is, well maybe Messi.

Nobody's irreplaceable, of course not, but if we managed to get in someone who brings us all that Barnes does, for a price within our range, within the next three weeks...I think we'd have struck it very lucky indeed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So fans would be more disappointed if Barnes left, than if Bridcutt or Buckley left. Who'd have thought it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports