Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - last laugh

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good luck to Barnes. Deserved a much better contract and the excellent Dyche offered him one.
AB worked his socks off for us, never whinned about be asked to play in midfield to accommodate inflexible strikers such as CMS, Ulloa & scored many crucial goals for us in an era when the Albion's tactics and personnel have been poor on that side.

The unhappy & spiteful AB haters [or are just against anyone that leaves us in similar circumstances like Noone, Murray], can fool themselves into gaining some kind of weird pleasure in that AB hasn't scored for Burnley or won't be part of Burnley's PL squad; but the model pro AB won't have a jot of interest whilst concentrating on his career and the financial rewards it's given him.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
How the f@ck does this kind of thread go on for 5 pages, you are some sad sacs going on about a player that has left the club and moved on.

Get over it!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I doubt very much that he'll be in the 25 man squad for Burnley next season but at least he'll be earning twice as much playing in their reserves. I think Burnley will only let him go if a £1M+ bid comes in for him over the summer and they've already strengthened the squad with another striker.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
He is a reasonable Div.1 player but requires numerous chances to score, no doubt he is earning more,good luck to him,he will need it if Burnley are promoted.

Jan 10, 2014
I really don't think that he is the type to laugh at his previous club. As far as I know he really enjoyed being a Brighton player and if they had offered what he thought that he was worth then he'd still be a Brighton player.

He scored a wonderful goal yesterday, a brilliant cross over and a real goal scorers finish. Unfortunately it was wrongly chalked off for offside.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Really your comparing Rod to Barnes .. oh dear .... Rod looks 2 leagues above his level

I'm agreeing Barnes is better, of course he is! I'm just stating why Barnes IS overrated. Seven goals all season is poor from a top half Championship striker. And don't give me this 'he's not first choice' BS. He has started a fair amount of games this season as first choice.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm agreeing Barnes is better, of course he is! I'm just stating why Barnes IS overrated. Seven goals all season is poor from a top half Championship striker. And don't give me this 'he's not first choice' BS. He has started a fair amount of games this season as first choice.

Oh ok I though you were implying Rod was the better player

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He is a reasonable Div.1 player but requires numerous chances to score, no doubt he is earning more,good luck to him,he will need it if Burnley are promoted.

This is something that is frequently given as a criticism of him. It's a really weak argument though. Wayne Rooney has 15 goals, he needed 75 shots to reach that tally (1:5). Luis Suarez has 29 goals, he needed 159 shots to get that (1:5.5). Ronaldo has 28 goals, from 199 shots (1:7), Lionel Messi has 25 goals from 130 shots (1:5)

There is this idea that Barnes needing several shots for every goal is something to hold against him. It's not, it simply means he is an striker/attacking player. They all take lots of shots to get the number of goals they do, because they are attacking players who are often in possession of the ball in the opponent's penalty box, or on the end of crosses as that's their job.

The players that have a better strike rate are the ones who take 4 shots a season (defenders who only come up for corners when we're trailing late in the game, for example).

By all means, criticise him for the quality of the chances he misses (again, I would argue plenty of top strikers have plenty of misses they should have scored, and there are plenty of chances "my granny could put away" that were actually a lot more difficult than some fans give credit for), but to criticise him for having more shots than he has goals is to show a lack of awareness of what are realistic expectations of a striker.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He scored their goal this Tuesday vs Barnsley (and should have had more, according to their manager). Won`t do his case any harm.

He was bought in to be a substitution option and back up striker when injuries occur and he is doing that job ok, anything else is a bonus for Burnley.
He was bought for a good price, good business by Burnley I would say.
Wages rumoured to be double what he got here and with bonuses for promotion and a probable Premier League player pay rise coming, he should pat himself on the back.
Smart career move in my opinion.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You need 4 strikers in a 25 man squad. Do you honestly think Burnley will have enough cash to buy two strikers better than Barnes? No, he'll be in there, and good luck to him. Hopefully we'll meet again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here