Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - last laugh

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, but are you HAPPY?

For example our Ash now gets to live next door to some dark, satanic mill. And you just can't put a price on that.

Twenty minutes drive out of Burnley is some of the most beautiful countryside in this land.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not a usual comment from a footballer. I have rarely seen it.
It didn't help when fans at the Amex made a very audible gasp when he stepped up to take a penalty.

Its very common. Rooney used it, Tevez used it, and there have been others. Quite simply he moved for a better contract elsewhere - longer, and better pay.

But he is certainly laughing at the moment, no question.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Burnley were the banker lay of the day today because they were starting with Barnes up front. Without Vokes & Ings Burnley are toothless because their other striker is crap.

No way will be be a first team player in the Prem next year.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes, but are you HAPPY?

For example our Ash now gets to live next door to some dark, satanic mill. And you just can't put a price on that.

I'm happy. Drop in wages (75%), but happy nonetheless.

He had the perfect arsenal to move. I'm sure he was well aware of the large number of prunes who thought he was shit and he saves face in moving on by playing on that.

What do people want from a striker?

Both Murray and Barnes had a large number of critics. Both have gone on to better things.

I remember less vitriol towards Basir Savage, Revell and 'Jakey'. Where are they now?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In the league this season

With Barnes:
P22
W8
D8
L6
Points per game 1.45
Goals per game 1.18

Without Barnes
P18
W7
D5
L6
Points per game 1.44
Goals per game 0.88

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
If I had picked all the correct numbers for tonight's lotto I would have won, damn!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Strange thread. Fairly sure that Burnley looked Premier League-bound when he signed? Not sure anything has changed really.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I'm happy. Drop in wages (75%), but happy nonetheless.

He had the perfect arsenal to move. I'm sure he was well aware of the large number of prunes who thought he was shit and he saves face in moving on by playing on that.

What do people want from a striker?

Both Murray and Barnes had a large number of critics. Both have gone on to better things.

I remember less vitriol towards Basir Savage, Revell and 'Jakey'. Where are they now?
My friends Dad knows Alex Revell very well.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Strange thread. Fairly sure that Burnley looked Premier League-bound when he signed? Not sure anything has changed really.

It's like Jobbie last year. The way some people spoke about him, you'd think that Palace were destined for mid-table mediocrity when he went there and that he single handedly dragged them into the top 6.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'd say it has changed rather a lot. That was January, for starters, there's a long way to go from there for one of the smallest squads. A lot of people have expected Burnley to blow up. They haven't. They weren't 10 points clear with 6 games left in January.

And that isn't really the point, is it? Which is that (as this thread has once again clearly shown) there were plenty of Brighton fans who though he was barely good enough for League One. And he will be laughing at them from the Premier League.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I don't give a poo about silly 'last laughing' . But the one thing nobody could deny is he always gave 100% here. I wish I could say the same for today's team. But as stated, he would have gone for nought if we'd have not cashed in. I can't see him cutting it in the Premier. Though good luck to him if he does. :thumbsup:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
We are missing him enormously in and around the box. Ash was the link that's now missing from the chain between midfield and attack.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've scored a lot less goals since he's gone. He was one of the few players capable of upping the tempo or getting forward, without him we are more pedestrian and predictable going forward.

I hope he does get to play in the Prem, he deserves it, the bloke was a great servant for this club.

And if he does make it then half of the League 1 Championship side would have made it to the Prem - Murray, Bennett, Bridcutt, Noone and Barnes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yet, he still only managed to score seven gaols all season... Just stating a fact ;)

And how many has our 2nd choice striker scored? 1? 2?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'd say it has changed rather a lot. That was January, for starters, there's a long way to go from there for one of the smallest squads. A lot of people have expected Burnley to blow up. They haven't. They weren't 10 points clear with 6 games left in January.

Okay. I didn't, really.

Thought we was a Premier League-bound as soon as he left.

Of course, he'll end up being 5th choice striker. If he's lucky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here