Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Goal of The Season ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Totally disagree. I think Mr Barnes deserves the credit. I have never played football to a particularly high level, but even so, whenever one kicked or headed the ball, you knew what you were trying to do with it, even if the idea and the execution were two entirely different things. Just maybe here the idea and the execution came together.

Oh no, I agree with that. BG was suggesting it was a "hit and hope" type of shot, which I think is ridiculous. It takes a lot for a goal to impress me so I'm not going to try to convince anyone that it's the goal of the season (I wasn't particularly wowed by JFC's screamer, either, but that's just me having incredibly high standards when using the term 'great' with a goal), but to suggest he just swung a leg at it and hoped, as BG seems to be doing, is too far from reality for me to just let go.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Oh no, I agree with that. BG was suggesting it was a "hit and hope" type of shot, which I think is ridiculous. It takes a lot for a goal to impress me so I'm not going to try to convince anyone that it's the goal of the season (I wasn't particularly wowed by JFC's screamer, either, but that's just me having incredibly high standards when using the term 'great' with a goal), but to suggest he just swung a leg at it and hoped, as BG seems to be doing, is too far from reality for me to just let go.

fair enough. I have just re-read the thread and got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I dont think so as I see those shots as hit and hope and can finish up anywhere. Granted when they go in they look good but I prefer to sere a goal scored by a good move

So Zlatan Ibrahimovics overhead kick from 40 yards against England wasn't actually that good as, to be fair, there was a lot of "hope" involved?

Or Beckhams from the halfway line.

Or Tony Yeboah for Leeds all those years ago?

Truly ridiculous argument.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So Zlatan Ibrahimovics overhead kick from 40 yards against England wasn't actually that good as, to be fair, there was a lot of "hope" involved?

Or Beckhams from the halfway line.

Or Tony Yeboah for Leeds all those years ago?

Exactly more in hope than expectation. As I have said I prefer a goal coming as a result of a good move but if it is from a long range like the one I saw on FL Show, cant remember which team, when a corner come in from the left and the player caught it on the volley and placed it just inside of the keepers post.
I think the best one this season was at The Amex South goal . again not sure which game, when Ulloa received a cross from the right wing and went down low to head the ball from behind him into the net. Superb skill at the end of a good move. I thought that JFC was better because he saw and knew where he was putting the ball.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Exactly more in hope than expectation. As I have said I prefer a goal coming as a result of a good move but if it is from a long range like the one I saw on FL Show, cant remember which team, when a corner come in from the left and the player caught it on the volley and placed it just inside of the keepers post.
I think the best one this season was at The Amex South goal . again not sure which game, when Ulloa received a cross from the right wing and went down low to head the ball from behind him into the net. Superb skill at the end of a good move. I thought that JFC was better because he saw and knew where he was putting the ball.

Ulloa's goal was against Derby , however great goals in loosing games tend to be forgotten as per the Vincete goal at Portman Road 2 seasons ago .

Although it is not the sort of goal that wins prizes I think that Croft's goal last week against Wigan deserves a mention as it took a cool head and skill to take advantage of the scoring opportunity that presented itself.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He took about three touches to try to kill the ball. On his third touch he was losing control of it again so he decided to thump it, as all available passes had now been closed off.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just to prove my point did anybody read Mondays papers where Barnes said and I quote " I am always doing that in training but most hit the trees and have to be picked up by somebody"

As I said that shot of his could have gone anywhere and he had very little control over it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just to prove my point did anybody read Mondays papers where Barnes said and I quote " I am always doing that in training but most hit the trees and have to be picked up by somebody"

As I said that shot of his could have gone anywhere and he had very little control over it.

But it didn't go anywhere, it went into the back of the net, which is where he was trying to put it (and has clearly practised trying to put it). So great skill, off the back of training ground effort, with a bit of self-deprecation thrown in. So quite clearly not proving your point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I heard the post match "fan" interview yesterday and someone claimed that his mum could have scored the goal on Saturday:mad:

Possibly stood as much chance as him if she played, as he tried yes but had no real idea of where it would end up, obviously hoped as it did in the net.

Full credit to him for trying it but most definitely not as the tread title states the goal of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here