Artists which have released a bench mark album....then topped it.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pink Floyd?

I think Wish You Were Here is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon. I'm guessing most people would call the latter a Benchmark Album!

I wouldn't agree with it being a better album but Wish You Were Here was a fantastic way to follow up DSOTM. To be able to bring out a follow up that wasn't inferior is a massive achievement as DSOTM is as iconic as albums get.

Going back to the beginning Piper At The Gates of Dawn was definitely topped by Saucerful of Secrets.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It definitely went down hill from there

It did. We can all get precious about alighting on a band early (which I did with The Pixies), but there's something about the sheer exuberant rawness, raucousness and rapidity about their earlier stuff that still does it for me (the joy of Isla de Encanta, for instance). The tunes probably got a bit better by the time of Doolittle.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
They continued improving until Let it Be, with the exception of Revolver (which is nearly as good as Abbey Road) and The White Album (which is too erratic; my missus characterises it as self-indulgent).

Erm, I going to be a bit of pedant here, but that's 'Sergeant Pepper' s', (which nobody ever actually listens to in it's entirety because half of it is a bit shit), 'Magical Mystery Tour' and Yellow Submarine.

Hey Bulldog's pretty good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Erm, I going to be a bit of pedant here, but that's 'Sergeant Pepper' s', (which nobody ever actually listens to in it's entirety because half of it is a bit shit), 'Magical Mystery Tour' and Yellow Submarine.

Hey Bulldog's pretty good.

You're merely illustrating the value of pedantry. Corrected I stand on MMT and YS (which are film scores -- or something else entirely -- rather than albums), although I will differ on SP -- it's nowhere near as good as Revolver but you're being a bit harsh (and it's popularly regarded to be their greatest album), and is well worth persevering to the end.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Terence Trent D'arby!

He burst onto the scene with the 'Hardline According to...' and then once he wrestled for creative control and was freed to do his own thing he...

Oh.... sorry.... Move on..... Nothing to see here.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'd say Sparklehorse, topped two bench marks with: it's a Wonderful Life.
Not listened to the albums before 'It's A Wonderful Life' that much but it's a brilliant album so I'll agree with this (and also best hidden track ever imo on the UK version).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I understand where you're coming from. For me Let England Shake was a truly wonderful and complete album; the back ground, narrative, songs, art work, every element just seemed to come together in perfection. This is why I thought it stood above all her others.

She will never improve on Stories from the city stories from the sea IMHO.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Galaxie 500, 'Today'. Essential and phenomenal.
Galaxie 500, 'On Fire'. Better

The third one is pretty good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Terence Trent D'arby!

He burst onto the scene with the 'Hardline According to...' and then once he wrestled for creative control and was freed to do his own thing he...

Oh.... sorry.... Move on..... Nothing to see here.

Knock knock .....

Who's there?

Terrence Trent D'Arby

....etc

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
PWEI - 'This Is the Day....This Is The Hour....This is This!' to 'Cure for Sanity'

They Might be Giants - 'Flood' to 'Apollo 18'

The Wedding Present - 'George Best' to 'Bizarro' to 'Seamonsters'

Do these have to be consecutive albums?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Oasis's brilliant debut album Definitely Maybe was bettered by their second album What's the Story Morning Glory. Musically, they never reached those dizzying heights again.

The 3rd Album 'Be Here Now' was one of the great letdowns.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
You're merely illustrating the value of pedantry. Corrected I stand on MMT and YS (which are film scores -- or something else entirely -- rather than albums), although I will differ on SP -- it's nowhere near as good as Revolver but you're being a bit harsh (and it's popularly regarded to be their greatest album), and is well worth persevering to the end.

Oh yeah, it ends well .... It's just I can't heavily rate an album that has a couple of songs that sound like material from the undercard of a Tommy Trinder gig

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
PWEI - 'This Is the Day....This Is The Hour....This is This!' to 'Cure for Sanity'

I was mulling over these earlier. Their eponymous first is the landmark, and Lincoln didn't quite hit the consistency of the first, nor any of the following.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Team Wedding Present

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports