Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Biss is going to arse and white is in the England squad.

Plenty of press now saying Arsenal have moved on and Liverpool is most likely destination.

Guessing this doesn't tally with what you've heard?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If Maguire is injured then to me it is obvious that Dunk should play. I simply can’t see anyone else who can be that commanding figure. For all of White’s strengths he is not a direct replacement for Maguire, I would see him more as a stones replacement. I assume Southgate sees Mings as that man. It is astonishing.

Chuffed for Ben. I suspect social media is best avoided today with Leeds fans forgetting he was man of the match in their first match last season and saying he learned it all under Bielsa!

Already plenty of tweets from Leeds fans saying if White had stayed he'd be a shoo-in for the 26. That despite our defensive record being considerably better than theirs :dunce:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good news. Hopefully will get a chance to play in any warm up games we have.

Mings shouldn't be near it. Thing with Mings was when England got racially abused in that game away he came out as the spokesman , lead very well and came across really impressive about that. I do wonder if in todays climate he is almost undropable because of this. He can't surely be in there on football ability alone

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Mings shouldn't be near it. Thing with Mings was when England got racially abused in that game away he came out as the spokesman , lead very well and came across really impressive about that. I do wonder if in todays climate he is almost undropable because of this. He can't surely be in there on football ability alone

I'd sincerely hope that's nothing to do with it. As an aside, Ben sported a very impressive tan through winter and an awful Spring. He can only be a few hours of sunbed away from getting some abuse himself!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Congratulations to Ben. Harsh on Dunk and Webster but I guess White gives another option at DM where we are clearly lacking.

Naylor does say Webster was unlucky with timing of the injury and apparently England scouts were at most of our games towards the end of the season

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Mings has the advantage of regularly gifting the opposition goals with his left foot whereas the other England defenders favour suicidal back passes with their right foot, so he brings a natural balance to our defensive cock-ups.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
believe this when i see it... what time is the announcement?

EDIT: 1300 BST

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
believe this when i see it... what time is the announcement?

EDIT: 1300 BST

If Naylor confirms it will be 100%. The club / player were likely told this morning I imagine.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mings has the advantage of regularly gifting the opposition goals with his left foot whereas the other England defenders favour suicidal back passes with their right foot, so he brings a natural balance to our defensive cock-ups.

There's another reason Dunks not in, yes he can do cock ups as well as the rest of them, but calmly chesting it into your keepers arms is just not on Southgates radar.

Nout shall touch thy waste coats frontage

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Can we put the anti Brighton / waistcoat theory to bed now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Look forward to seeing Leeds fans taking the credit

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think that there are a couple of take aways from this.

Firstly what a season for Ben White, his first premier league season and already in the England set up. Whether this is just to give him squad experience for the campaigns to come or if he is in serious consideration for the match day squad, it certainly shows one, how good he is, and two, what a great set up we have at the academy. We can now demonstrably show that there is a direct path from the academy to the first team and straight into the England set up. This will certainly encourage other talents to join

The second take away is what on Earth happened with Dunk? If Southgate picks Ben, then the "wont pick a Brighton player" reasoning goes out the window. It becomes a question of what is the issue with Dunk in particular. Is it simply that Dunk didnt come through the Under age set up with England and therefore Southgate simply wont pick him. White hasnt gone through that set up either, but Southgate has been in charge of the full team for long enough that the players he coached are now playing for England or just about to, and he therefore has to look elsewhere for his future squads.

Unfortunately , as others have said, I think its too late for Dunk. His one call up was a bit late in his career anyway for a new player to establish himself and we are a couple of years further on. We have to accept that for whatever reason, currently one of the best defenders in the country wont be playing for England again.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Look forward to seeing Leeds fans taking the credit

Enough about Leeds already, it is boring, can we move on, let them bang on about it and seem small minded and petty.
He has had an immense season for us, surely next season Sky wont be saying during commentary "Great tackle by young Ben White, who was on loan at Leeds two seasons ago"

Let's move on Icy Gull.....
He is ours (for now):)

Well done Ben

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here