Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Southgate has changed his mind and wont reveal a 26 man squad today (at 13) but a bigger one, to be trimmed next week. Depening on how big the squad today is I think we could see both Dunk & White, but with this increase I'm fairly sure at least White will get a call.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A good pick with an expanded squad, young, versatile, good character...plays for Brighton...never happening !

He's all those things, I'd guess it's the versatility that's really attractive, right back, centre half or holding mid.

All those Leeds Muppets saying he's ruined his England chances, I'd hazard a guess that if he'd played just one position this season (as he did at Leeds) and not multiple under Potter, he wouldn't be potentially in.

Love in rooming with Kalvin Phillips?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
He's all those things, I'd guess it's the versatility that's really attractive, right back, centre half or holding mid.

All those Leeds Muppets saying he's ruined his England chances, I'd hazard a guess that if he'd played just one position this season (as he did at Leeds) and not multiple under Potter, he wouldn't be potentially in.

Love in rooming with Kalvin Phillips?

White to get in his ear about replacing bissouma? That would be incredible right?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It does always make me laugh though how every international tournament there is always a big debate and arguments about the squad and players who ultimately end up not getting a look in at the tournament anyway.

Sure, but its a great experience. One month of training sessions vs Kane, Rashford etc, could possibly pick up some decent advice from colleagues and even from the old CB Southgate. Good stuff.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not the best but certainly the most versatile. Has played in midfield when needed and, at times, drifted into a right back / RWB role for periods. Young, comfortable on the ball and quicker than Dunk.

Of course we all know how good Lewis is but for whatever reason Southgate doesn't agree. That doesn't mean White shouldn't be selected as he offers all of the above.

Well done young man :thumbsup:

Were I to be England Manager (Yes please) I would have selected all three of them. They are one of the most efficient defensive units in the country and for me at least only a rejuvenated John Stones is ahead of them of the fit CD available. I doubt Southgate is anti Brighton but he does seem very closed to players not from the big clubs. This is an affliction common to a lot of previous England managers and when our defensive options are as poor as they currently are one that will doubtless get him the sack sometime this summer...

White is going to be a fine player and possibly the best of the three but right now Dunk is ahead of him as a defender. I'm not sure we are short of RB's but CM could be a problem with questions over Henderson and Phillips fitness I suppose?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
What a shame that this thread has been taken over by people slating Southgate for not picking Dunk rather than celebrating him possibly picking White. Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the little donkey, how are people going to react if the rumour isn't true?

If true, and he does get picked, it's a great achievement for White. This is what the thread should be about.

Agree with that. I think talk about Dunk and England has been done to death and not only on this thread. If I'm not mistaken, all of us think he should/should HAVE been picked more and played more for England. We can't all be wrong, but unless anything unforeseen happens, that ship has unfortunately sailed. We too may as well move on.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sure, but its a great experience. One month of training sessions vs Kane, Rashford etc, could possibly pick up some decent advice from colleagues and even from the old CB Southgate. Good stuff.

Oh I quite agree, it's fantastic for him and us.

I just mean generally, before every major tournament, there is always lots of debate and fall out about the 22nd or 23rd man in an international squad who in the end never features anyway!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dunk (29) is too old for an England recall now. Tarkowski is in a similar boat (28). Lindgard is 28 and I doubt very much he will make the final cut (but may well make the big squad today).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Putting Dunk and Webster aside…

Ben White has so many positives, it’s remarkable it’s taken until now for Southgate to relent.

1) Obviously his overall quality. He’s a bit rough around the edges but is a rolls Royce defender. Superb on the ball and bringing it out. Excellent tempermant.

2) he’s passed his first full PL season with flying colours. Aside from the odd moment early on he’s been very consistent. Few question marks with decision making, but he’s a young player. Fearless as well (thinking back to his performances away at the top 4).

3) he’s versatile and experienced in many positions. VERY handy for tournament football.

And 4) (which I think has been overlooked). He is very resilient to injuries. Given the injury issues in the England camp it must be reassuring to call up a player who is near certain of being fit and injury free.

It’s brilliant for us as a club to have another come through our system getting an international call up. We now have a number of Albion players to keep an eye on at the coming Euros.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dunk (29) is too old for an England recall now. Tarkowski is in a similar boat (28). Lindgard is 28 and I doubt very much he will make the final cut (but may well make the big squad today).

Dunk is a leader though, not that many of them in the English squad. He is one of very few English PL captains anywhere near the right level. Maybe not the most bloodthirsy and angry captain of all time, but still a leader.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I know what's happened here. Waistcoat thinks that White is a Leeds player and only joined us on loan for the season, that's why he's been picked.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Godfrey is a very good player and young.
Webster has too many mistakes in him, got injured at the wrong time and Southgate doesn't rate Dunk.
But no qualms if Godfrey is in.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Dunk is a leader though, not that many of them in the English squad. He is one of very few English PL captains anywhere near the right level. Maybe not the most bloodthirsy and angry captain of all time, but still a leader.

Absolute no brainer. It's insane that Southgate is more concerned about potential than current ability.
If you want the strongest squad for a tournament THIS MONTH you pick Dunk.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Sky sports news: 'if White had stayed with Leeds he would have got a call up before now' Because obviously they are a Huge Club.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sky sports news: 'if White had stayed with Leeds he would have got a call up before now' Because obviously they are a Huge Club.

Unreal comment from Mills - Add it to Bamford's arrogant comment of the same thing before we beat them again. He said 'if he'd been at a team who score more goals higher up the table'? Erm Danny, he's a centre back and we've conceded 8 less than Leeds this season :facepalm: - Some pundits just feed the already over inflated egos of Leeds' fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here