Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Im just getting a sense that some people on here think that Ben White would further his ambitions by staying at Brighton rather than Arsenal. Now lets not get all deluded people!

I think it’s more that a lot of people think he can do better than Arsenal. It’s a bit meh, as a move, when he had the potential to go to a top 4/5 team that’s in Europe.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Im with you on both points in all reality.

Im just getting a sense that some people on here think that Ben White would further his ambitions by staying at Brighton rather than Arsenal. Now lets not get all deluded people!

I happen to think that White can do better than Arsenal. They're not in Europe, and there's no guarantee that they will get there next season. The manager is unproven and unpopular with a section of the support, and could be out before Christmas. The atmosphere at the Emirates can be leaden when things aren't going Arsenal's way.

But I do think we should sell him if the offer is right. It sends a message to other potential signings that we won't stand in their way, gives Veltman more playing time in his best position and keeps a pathway open for Ostigard, Roberts, Dendoncker etc.

How much is the right offer? His value only increased this summer, because he didn't come on in any of England's matches and make any mistakes. £50m plus a sell-on for a player we signed for nothing and who isn't particularly strong in the air for a centre back sounds like good business. And fortunately none of the clubs alleged to be interested noticed how Phil Foden skinned him for Man City's second goal at the Amex ...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Apologies if i am being whooshed here but....

I am sure his net worth has probably taken a bit of a kicking in the last 18 months, but if you think he has spent £300m plus and counting on the Albion without being a 'billionaire', then i think you are wrong!
A lot of his business will have collapsed during the pandemic, I'm sure his portfolio is pretty diverse but to think that Lizard Consulting hasn't been massively affected would be a little naive.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A lot of his business will have collapsed during the pandemic, I'm sure his portfolio is pretty diverse but to think that Lizard Consulting hasn't been massively affected would be a little naive.

I think that's a quite an overstatement. His betting consultancy is a relatively small part of his business. The property and investments sides won't have suffered much damage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't want Ben to leave but if we can get £50m for him we'd be nuts to not accept it. Tony is not a billionaire like other Premier league owners, so it's unfair for him to keep pumping in his own funds after everything he has provided the club.

Which aspect of the £300m outlay, on a vanity project, (by someone who actively shields himself from the limelight) has you doubting his overall wealth?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last year we had a load of Leeds fans convincing themselves that ben white wanted to stay at Leeds.

Oh how we mocked them.

This year we have a load of Brighton fans convincing themselves that ben white would turn down arsenal to stay at brighton.

I don't think anybody's suggesting that he would or should turn down a move to Arsenal - I'm sure he wouldn't. What I, and many others I think, would like would be for a better club to come and match or better Arsenal's offer; he can do better than Arsenal at the moment. I wonder if old Slabhead has been on the blower to have a word in OGS's ear, for example.

As an aside, with reference to Darmesh's tweet, posted earlier - what's the betting that the source close to White saying he wants to move to Arsenal is his agent, with £ signs flashing in his eyes!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
...and so this thread rolls on rather repetitively with no actual news. Starting to feel please let's just sell him (aslong as its £40m +) and move on.

What? Just so you don’t need to read Twitter gobshites making stuff up? There is NO ****ing substance to these rumours - apart from the Albion saying they’ll listen to nonsensical bids.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As an aside, with reference to Darmesh's tweet, posted earlier - what's the betting that the source close to White saying he wants to move to Arsenal is his agent, with £ signs flashing in his eyes!

1000% it’s his agent, you just know it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't think anybody's suggesting that he would or should turn down a move to Arsenal - I'm sure he wouldn't. What I, and many others I think, would like would be for a better club to come and match or better Arsenal's offer; he can do better than Arsenal at the moment. I wonder if old Slabhead has been on the blower to have a word in OGS's ear, for example.

This really.

Arsenal are a bit crap at the moment, Ben will have his choice of clubs so why choose second best? No one is in any rush (except his agent of course).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Doesn’t this guy get routinely mocked for talking utter horse crap?

Pretty much, sky sports transfer gossip is embarrassing. No guessing for who his source would be though, will give it a few weeks before Whites agent is back on the tele.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I guess time will tell, my friend, but to compare Bloom to Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk is a bit nuts. If Bloom keeps hold of White and/or Biss then that will tell me he has the money given he has top 10 aspirations.

But to be clear, Bloom is a legend and always will be. I love the man, but we need to be realistic with what we've seen in the last couple of years. We've signed Maupay, Zeqiri and an ageing injury prone Welbeck. If he really has the money, I'd expect a little bit more.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here