Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
My goodness, even when we have Welbz and maupay out we don't have anyone good enough to start up front as a striker. If you were Connolly surely this has to be the wake up call to say time for a loan.
Maybe GP is using his lack of game time as a punishment for his indiscretion during covid. He is still in the match-day squad so there is a chance he will come on later.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would so much start with them rather than Jahanbaksh. Please GP, STOP PLAYING HIM. He contributes barely anything. His only appearances in wins this season were in the 89th minute at Newcastle, 80th at Leeds and that complete waste of a half (minus the poor challenge V Gundagon) V City. Lalanna, Tau or Zequiri deserve a place so much more. Yeah he might get an easy goal or produce a cross (but to who as we don't have anyone in the box so again what is the point) amougst other failed attempts. Tired of watching him pull on the stripes (is it stripes today?!). It's not all gonna come good. There's too many players and even potential signings in front of him. We've had 3 years of this. Yes he's a technically good player but he doesn't have the attributes (pace, power, skill to go past people) to help us enough in the PL.

Happy enough to be proved wrong in an hour of course. Would so dearly love to win and finish above Palace, Newcastle etc.

Not quite sure what idea with Ali J is tbh. Either he has been doing exceptionally well in training and GP decided to give him a spell at the end of the season to give him one last chance to prove himself, or the club is trying to provide evidence that he is alive to make it easier to ship him somewhere in the summer.

GP obviously dont rate Tau that much, Zeqiri I personally (and seems GP agrees) see is somewhere off from appearing in a PL starting lineup. Lallana is obviously being treated with kid gloves, if the game meant anything significant he would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As I see it the club just took a chance to bring him in and see if he was good enough. When he was brought in, Connolly and Welbeck were both injured and perhaps the club wasnt 100% sure how quickly they would return. Clearly he has, unlike eg Moder, not shown enough to play more, so it seems to be a failed signing in that sense. Every club makes failed signings though.

I expect him to be off in the summer.

One overlooked aspect of the Tau deal is unless I’m wrong we received loan fees the past few seasons, plus all the shirts and merch sold to the SA contingent.

We’ll also be able to sell him for a reasonable amount. It’s possible the club will make a profit on the Tau deal overall. So business wise maybe not a failed signing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 keepers.
4 centre backs - so so.
No strikers - oh yeah baby.

Stat approves of this team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One overlooked aspect of the Tau deal is unless I’m wrong we received loan fees the past few seasons, plus all the shirts and merch sold to the SA contingent.

We’ll also be able to sell him for a reasonable amount. It’s possible the club will make a profit on the Tau deal overall. So business wise maybe not a failed signing.

He did ok in Belgium and only costed about £3m, could probably get those millions back.

Also a fair chance that Tau will be given a real chance in the pre-season, perhaps if the idea is to change the formation for next season. But to my sensitive nostrils it smells like he'll be off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My goodness, even when we have Welbz and maupay out we don't have anyone good enough to start up front as a striker. If you were Connolly surely this has to be the wake up call to say time for a loan.

Well, thats what people said at half-time last week as well. In the end it turned out Trossard could be a decent false nine on his day.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I love the BBC’s hopeless efforts at picking our formation pre-match.

8647bc73b2b4e8edb5b5319d2fda38fa.png

They’ll correct it after kick off.

I do note that on the club website, they're predicting 442 with Mac Allister and Moder up top.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They've changed it at least once already!
Possible line up? -

Sanchez
White; Dunk; Webster
Gross; Moder; Bissouma; Burn​
Jahanbakhsh
MacA; Tross​

Other than a <Tab> or two, I reckon that's about it (unless AJ is in the East Stand bar - unlikely)

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
It is curious that AJ has become one of GP’s favourites in this last quarter of the season. Involved in most games, first choice of the bench, and getting starts over other forwards like Tau, Connolly and Zequiri.

As much as we all think AJ is going It does point to him being here next season.

You like him too no? Take you're point and GP knows better than me. I just find his inclusion depressing. He is a nice footballer but as I say every time he doesn't have the attributes to make us better or is better than what we have. AGree that he's not being played to be put in the shop window either. My concern is that we'll be more of a threat when he comes off.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
It's fitting that after Pep-gate on Tuesday, Potter is playing with no striker in homage to his previous cheerleader.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Regardless of whether we play a traditional No9 I think Trossard’s best position is in a free role playing centrally rather than out wide

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here