Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance of Arsenal plastics

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sure Donny was an incredibly special day but there will be far more people clambering for tickets for the Arsenal game than against a team who are now in League One.
I wouldn't have missed the Donny game for anything. I haven't bothered getting a ticket for the game against Arsenal, I can't see what the fuss is about. It's not a big game to me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What the....
Do these people even know that we've played LEEDS and PORTSMOUTH ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That's imaginative choosing your team because if team colour. The only reason would be because the watched them on TV and saw them winning? Without TV or the exposure from winning they wouldn't support them! Trophey hunters I'm afraid.

They saw a team playing a sport to a high level of quality and developed a sense of admiration for the quality of play. Is that so terrible? In their world, it's no different to developing a liking for Usain Bolt because they admire him as an athlete from seeing him on the tellybox. With justification, they would think it was ludicrous that they couldn't like him because they personally have no connection to Jamaica or the fact they haven't seen him run in person.

In other words, they're fans and there is nothing wrong with that. What they are not is that they're not supporters.

Jimmy Grimble

The Doncaster game was a far, far bigger occasion. Which for me is enough to make it a bigger game. The likelihood is Arsenal will be at the Amex again in the not so distant future, the first game at at the Amex after 13 years without a home will not happen again.

Jimmy Grimble

They saw a team playing a sport to a high level of quality and developed a sense of admiration for the quality of play. Is that so terrible? In their world, it's no different to developing a liking for Usain Bolt because they admire him as an athlete from seeing him on the tellybox. They would think it was ludicrous that they couldn't like him because they personally have no connection to Jamaica or the fact they haven't seen him run in person.

In other words, they're fans and there is nothing wrong with that. What they are not is that they're not supporters.

You know that do you?

That's just the same as someone making the assumption that they started 'supporting' them because they were the best/winning trophies.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree arsenal is the biggest game so far simply because of the stature of them and fa cup only Manchester united at the amex would be bigger but next season that could become reality!!

It could become a reality this season, once we have beaten Arsenal and Man U might squeak by whoever they have got...... I was always a glass half full person.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ludicrous statement we have played both Leeds and Sheff Wed how could they possibly compare to those 2 they need to understand the natural order.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I think its a bit of a pressure off game tbh. If we lose, no one will be surprised and shouldn't hurt our confidence (unless we are thrashed which I don't see happening),
if we win it's big news. I get more nervous when playing at home in the league

A truly bad performance can prove a massive set back though. Eg Dunk following Liverpool away.

However this year there isn't a player of such youth, inexperience and expectation.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
They saw a team playing a sport to a high level of quality and developed a sense of admiration for the quality of play. Is that so terrible? In their world, it's no different to developing a liking for Usain Bolt because they admire him as an athlete from seeing him on the tellybox. With justification, they would think it was ludicrous that they couldn't like him because they personally have no connection to Jamaica or the fact they haven't seen him run in person.

I agree with you to some extent but Bolt is an individual like a specific player or boxer etc. a role model or a legend who inspires. Football is made of geographic teams that carry their towns name, just like a nation in an international competition. It's like being English but saying your a Spanish fan because they play better football! Free country but like you said they're 'fans' and not true supporters.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Birmingham, then Blackburn away. :)

I wouldn't rest him at Blackburn . . .

It's bigger than the Liverpool game. Arsenal may rotate a couple of players due to them playing Liverpool in the league a few days later but Liverpool on the day rested 95% of the team. Also it's the FA Cup. In terms of cash, the opposition and recognition, it's the biggest game at the Amex so far (Donny was the greatest and my guess is the home match against Wolves in May will be the biggest)

Blimey, I'd forgotten about that. It'll be postponed as well...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In all fairness they are right.

However having suffered at the hands of Arsenal fans day in day out when I lived in Camden I guess they are implying that we are a tinpot club and that they are the mighty Arsenal who play at a far superior stadium to far more real fans than we could wish to get.

I liked to say back to them I enjoy the never knowing what type of season we will have relegation, they have never felt the passion of saving there club from the brink, they have never felt the euphoria of saving the club from relegation into the football abyss or back to back promotions. That to me is real football and makes me a real football fan.

Hell but what do I know..... It must be a safe bet supporting a team that year in year out will never get relegated or finish higher than third and will constantly under acheive while claiming to be a great club.

If that does not work....

Just laugh in his face and spit in his coffee.

The Doncaster game was a far, far bigger occasion. Which for me is enough to make it a bigger game. The likelihood is Arsenal will be at the Amex again in the not so distant future, the first game at at the Amex after 13 years without a home will not happen again.

Sums it up pretty well for me. Arsenal will be an occasion however Doncaster was not only a huge occasion but a unique event that I rank above any other footballing experience I've had!!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't see Liverpool as a really big club anymore, although I won't see Arsenal as a massive club like ManUre or Chelsea until they start winning things regularly again.

Blue Goon

Sep 2, 2011
All the Brighton fans I know are well pleased you're playing the Arsenal. I know the Arsenal fans are well up for it and loads are coming down with or without tickets. Being close to London and the teams not having played each other for a while adds to the attraction.The Amex should be buzzing and full so even the bank manger should be smiling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here