Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Argentinian Election

He'll be joining Bolsonaro on a Miami hospital bed within 2 or 3 years

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a little closer than England is.
Yes but the point is that we are not claiming someone else's land based on proximity. How many other countries are demanding islands they've never owned despite them being 480km from their own coastline?

Spain and Gib is far more understandable, and the main reason that never progresses is that Spain hypocritically holds two towns on the Moroccan coast in much the same way.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They were uninhabited when the Royal Navy found them in the 17th century.
Yeh, thanks for the history lesson

I personally don't think Argentina have a strong claim, less to do with length of tenure, more to do with the wishes of the population.

But if Argentina have no claim because they are 300 miles away, then it's hard to argue that we do from where we are

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes but the point is that we are not claiming someone else's land based on proximity. How many other countries are demanding islands they've never owned despite them being 480km from their own coastline?

Spain and Gib is far more understandable, and the main reason that never progresses is that Spain hypocritically holds two towns on the Moroccan coast in much the same way.
Spain also owns the Canary Islands which are many, many, miles away.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeh, thanks for the history lesson

I personally don't think Argentina have a strong claim, less to do with length of tenure, more to do with the wishes of the population.

But if Argentina have no claim because they are 300 miles away, then it's hard to argue that we do from where we are
The population was zero. Not even the natives who lived in Argentina and Chile before the Spanish arrived.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
A few questions he could consider.

- Why are they known in Argentina as the Malvinas? It’s because they were named after French settlers from St Malo = Malouines. So Argentina‘s claim is not even as strong as the French one would be.
- Why is it called Tierra del Fuego? The land of fire, so there were people there already lighting fires, native people which surely means that Argentina has in some way effectively colonised and taken such land away from the original settlers?
- Why in Tierra del Fuego are there so many English place names, eg Harberton? Because the English settled that land before even the Spanish, so surely that means if they believe they have claims to the Falklands then we have claims to TdF?

(I don’t claim to know all there is to know on this topic, I’m sure someone will correct any of the above as necessary!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A few questions he could consider.

- Why are they known in Argentina as the Malvinas? It’s because they were named after French settlers from St Malo = Malouines. So Argentina‘s claim is not even as strong as the French one would be.
- Why is it called Tierra del Fuego? The land of fire, so there were people there already lighting fires, native people which surely means that Argentina has in some way effectively colonised and taken such land away from the original settlers?
- Why in Tierra del Fuego are there so many English place names, eg Harberton? Because the English settled that land before even the Spanish, so surely that means if they believe they have claims to the Falklands then we have claims to TdF?

(I don’t claim to know all there is to know on this topic, I’m sure someone will correct any of the above as necessary!)
Tierra de Fuego is an archipelago at the tip of the mainland, and yes, there were local natives there before the Spanish. It is split between Argentina and Chile.
The Falklands are many miles to the east in the South Atlantic. My late Step Mum was born there.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Tierra de Fuego is an archipelago at the tip of the mainland, and yes, there were local natives there before the Spanish. It is split between Argentina and Chile.
The Falklands are many miles to the east in the South Atlantic. My late Step Mum was born there.
I have been to Argentina, including Tierra del Fuego, where I enjoyed a Devonshire Tea, marvelled at the British built railway system and the red pillar boxes, just near to Big Ben, in Buenos Aires and enjoyed seeing all the links to English football, rugby, polo.

i believe the split of TdF between Argentina and Chile was actually partly decided by the British too who were peacemakers to determine an equitable outcome!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
“In a newspaper interview with La Nacion, a daily newspaper in Argentina, he proposed that the UK hand over the Falklands to his South American country in a similar way to how Hong Kong was given back over to Chinese rule in 1997”.

Bye bye human rights in the Falklands then if that happens. I’d give it 25 years max.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I fear he may have linked forces with Trump who might very well be president in 12 months and supporting Argentinas claim to the Faulklands
Can you imagine a world being run by Trump, Putin, Xi, this idiot, BoJo (unlikely) …..? 😳

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Another thing to consider is Britain acquired Gib following the Spanish War of Succession, which just so happens to be when Spain took control of Catalonia.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Can you imagine a world being run by Trump, Putin, Xi, this idiot, BoJo (unlikely) …..? 😳
sadly yes I can ,the world is in turmoil and many are turning to the extreme right for answers

from Wiki

Right-wing or far-right nationalist parties are the biggest party in Switzerland (Swiss People's Party) and the ruling party in Italy (Brothers of Italy, Lega), in Hungary (Fidesz) and in Poland (United Right), part of the government in Finland (Finns Party) , while in Sweden (Swedish Democrats) and in Serbia (United Serbia)

it's a creeping cancer one that must be counted

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Another thing to consider is Britain acquired Gib following the Spanish War of Succession, which just so happens to be when Spain took control of Catalonia.
We also acquired Menorca under the same Treaty, time to get it back methinks ….. 😊

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

This thought reminds me of Gideon Rachman's book, Age of the Strongman, which gives a brief overview of the leaders mentioned, minus the nutter with a chainsaw. It's quite light but worth a read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here