Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you Team Alan Green or Team Danny Mills?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
4. I can only assume he has one eye on getting out of the game 5 years earlier than planned so he has more of a fortune to blow on coke and hookers.

He's become a dad fairly recently and from what a chelsea supporting mate tells me, his other half definitely wears the trousers in that household.

Maybe she made the decision for him.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I have only read the thread title and so have no idea what this is about but I am definitely Team Murphy because whenever I find myself agreeing with the whinging, entitled moron that is Alan Green, I re-examine my opinion and realise that we were both wrong.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Probably, but Oscar is a squad player. I honestly don't think the Premier League will be noticeably poorer without him.

He's not getting 90 minutes each week, so might as well take the money.

I know what you mean, but he could go to many premier league teams earn that money and be a starter.

I suspect Chelsea getting offered 60 million has something to do with it... no one else will offer anything like that for him, and as someone said maybe he's thinking i will do it for a couple of years and see how it goes...

Its a strange one at his age... surely its giving up on international football too....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One word

LADYBOYS

If you are one of Oscar's hangers-on then strap yourself in! The footballer that put's the word 'cruise' in worldwide cruise.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's become a dad fairly recently and from what a chelsea supporting mate tells me, his other half definitely wears the trousers in that household.

Maybe she made the decision for him.

One night out with Mr. Maradona could change all that...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm slightly with Green on this, majorly because Mills makes that mistake that ALL people who thing about only the money make - That everyone thinks the same. "If you were offered triple your salary, you'd be off' No! Sure, there are many people who will, but there are those of use for whom location, friends, family etc are just as important as money. It really irritates me people making that assumption.

Sure, I agree, but then why isn't Oscar still in Brazil? That's where his family and friends are. He was offered a massive rise in salary to come to Chelsea, and he was off. He's already made that decision, so moving on to China is just an extension of the kind of person he is.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know what you mean, but he could go to many premier league teams earn that money and be a starter.

I suspect Chelsea getting offered 60 million has something to do with it... no one else will offer anything like that for him, and as someone said maybe he's thinking i will do it for a couple of years and see how it goes...

Its a strange one at his age... surely its giving up on international football too....

There's quite a few decent Brazilian players there at present, Hulk, Alex Teixeira, Ramires, as well as quite a few Columbians and Argentinians. The more there are, the more likely he is to keep his plac in the national team. Presumably Oscar has sounded out a couple of them, heard it's money for old rope, and is taking what is on offer.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Absolute bollocks.

bit harsh :)

Our domestic league/s is one of the best because it has grown organically over the course of a century and the same with leagues around europe. The wages are higher because everyone wants to watch it.

No, it really didn't, it was at the same level for 50 years or more, then grew exponentially when the premier league money came in. Back then, late 80's, early 90's, some of the best British players were going overseas, Francis, Brady, Lineker, Rush, Souness, Gascoigne, Des Walker, Platt, Ince. Don't you remember watching the cream of football on Channel 4's Football Italia? Cantona and Bergkamp, Juninho and Ravanelli were some of the first into the premier league and then it just took off as the teams could out-spend virtually everyone on the continent. With premier league money came wages came better players came more TV money and its spiralled, out of control in my opinion and has spoiled our league.

The Chinese league is a new fad, decades behind most european leagues with next to no quality other than aged 30+ pros who move for their last easy pay day, and a couple of ambitionless younger players. You can't fast forward a league's quality like you can pay for your Facebook page likes. It has to grow organically over many years and I imagine the average domestic chinese player is not very good.

Sure, and they're trying and finding it hard in the US, but that's always going to be second-fiddle to the big four sports. In China there is a possibility. Are they really going to stop with just Oscar? China has qualified for the World Cup in recent years. Plus the backbone of their teams will be from other countries as well. I know Indonesian football a bit, that's a similar country, massive fan-base for football, huge population, not the best players, and the bulk of their super-league teams are Africans and Australians, Russians and eastern-Europeans, they can play football and I imagine it is or will be the same in China.

I couldn't give a shit what Oscar does, but I know it does very little for his career and alot for his bank balance. In my opinion, footballers should want to achieve something at whatever level, and this strikes me as not wanting to achieve anything noteworthy and just get richer. If that is his main drive then fair enough.

Yep, fair enough. What more is there to say? But if I was a footballer playing overseas, would it really mean more to me winning the league in Italy or the league in China? Perhaps, a bit, but not as much as it would for an Italian or it would for me winning the English league.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
bit harsh :)

Sure, and they're trying and finding it hard in the US, but that's always going to be second-fiddle to the big four sports. In China there is a possibility. Are they really going to stop with just Oscar? China has qualified for the World Cup in recent years. Plus the backbone of their teams will be from other countries as well. I know Indonesian football a bit, that's a similar country, massive fan-base for football, huge population, not the best players, and the bulk of their super-league teams are Africans and Australians, Russians and eastern-Europeans, they can play football and I imagine it is or will be the same in China.

Football/Soccer is catching up very quickly in the US.... participation is huge....and for those not blessed with size required for Basketball and American Football its already no1.... America will definately crack this over time in my opinion. Soccer... will be alongside and eventually take over from the traditional US Sports...

boik

Oscars only 25,he can pocket £41,600,000 and come back and still be at his peak.I can see the appeal.

Why would ANYONE want £41 million. Seriously. What is it that he couldn't do with 2 million, or 3 million. Sure once you've got enough money, personal satisfaction becomes far more important. When I was working I turned down various promotions and therefore pay rises because I didn't fancy the idea of sitting in my own office all on my own behind a big desk. Having an enjoyable life is much more important.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Why would ANYONE want £41 million. Seriously. What is it that he couldn't do with 2 million, or 3 million. Sure once you've got enough money, personal satisfaction becomes far more important. When I was working I turned down various promotions and therefore pay rises because I didn't fancy the idea of sitting in my own office all on my own behind a big desk. Having an enjoyable life is much more important.

You could set up some fantastic charitable trusts with $41m. Think big my man :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No, it really didn't, it was at the same level for 50 years or more, then grew exponentially when the premier league money came in. Back then, late 80's, early 90's, some of the best British players were going overseas, Francis, Brady, Lineker, Rush, Souness, Gascoigne, Des Walker, Platt, Ince. Don't you remember watching the cream of football on Channel 4's Football Italia? Cantona and Bergkamp, Juninho and Ravanelli were some of the first into the premier league and then it just took off as the teams could out-spend virtually everyone on the continent. With premier league money came wages came better players came more TV money and its spiralled, out of control in my opinion and has spoiled our league.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's when Serie A was the big cheese and to a lesser extent La Liga.

My point was, in addition to ourselves and a few other leagues around europe, both countries of the respective leagues I mentioned have a culture and structure that lasts a century in the sport. I don't think it can be fast-tracked in china because the domestic playerbase is not strong enough to plug the gaps with superstars and provide entertainment to those used to watching the game at a decent standard. It just won't be very watchable and therefore nobody will really care. I'm not sure how well supported the sport is out there to be honest in terms of numbers turning up to games, but it needs 50 years to get up to speed for anywhere outside of china to be interested.

Of course if a mass attrition occured all around europe and all the coaches, managers and players started moving over there it could potentially happen sooner. But then it would just be a 'super league' placed in China, with nobody actually chinese anywhere to be found other than in the stands.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If so, I think he becomes my favourite player EVER.

In the footballing sense, or him being a bit of a 'geezer'? :lol:

It's up to the players. If the offer is there, I see no reason for him to go for it. China is looking to build a football industry, which has HUGE potential – if players such as Oscar and others achieve this, then fair play to them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You can buy quite a lot of "personal satisfaction" with 41 million though....especially in Asia.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

You've clearly never met VERY high class prostitutes. They'd blow a lot of that £41 million.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To a certain extent China is offering something similar to what was offered by Manchester City a few years ago.

They didn't have Champions League qualification, trophies in the cabinet or a lot of recent history and heritage, so instead they got out the cheque book and offered the likes of Robinho and Jo (remember them?) salaries that no one else was prepared to pay. As a consequence they managed to lose £198,000,000 in a single season, but did qualify the CL eventually and have subsequently become self sufficient.

City are now 15% owned by a Chinese investment vehicle, I suspect the Emptihad model is being replicated in China.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here