Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you Team Alan Green or Team Danny Mills?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Its perfectly understandable. It might be different if he was playing for the best team in Brazil if the Brazilian league was considered world-class, but once you've left your home country, who really cares what league you're in, you've already left home for the money. Green is basically saying that coming to England for the money is fine, but going to China for the money is not.

Was going to declare myself Team Green, even though I don't like the man. But you make a very good point, and I have paused for thought.

I still can't stand the whole mercenary culture, whether football or any other business. It seems to me that, once you are earning above a certain amount, then other things should be of greater importance, whether culture, family, job satsfaction, work colleagues. To earn 3 million a year and decide that earning 4 million a year is more important than all these other factors just seems a bit shallow. And when everyone just says ' who wouldn't' it doesn't seem to say much for wider values in a society (values we are all supposed to be wearing an oath to?)

But maybe you are correct - no reason why coming to China or UK for the money is any different.
Maybe he is just fascinated by the social and economic enigma that is modern China.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think there is a lot to be said for challenging one's self at the highest level. This usually goes hand in hand with money's this is a talking point because the two have separated.

His motivations will be very clear once he makes his decision. I would think there is a good chance he will end up bored before too long and return to one of the world's top leagues...... Where he will still be paid an astronomical amount of money.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
which is obviously an insular, arrogant self-centered point of view by Green. The English premier league only became the best quality league once the clubs could afford en masse to pay higher wages than in Italy, Spain, France, Holland or Germany.

This may well spark a change whereby the Chinese league becomes the best quality league in the world. And for Brazilians, they don't care either way which foreign league is considered the best. With the UEFA Financial Fair Play laws, we will inevitably see the next boom in player contracts outside of Europe.

Absolute bollocks.

Our domestic league/s is one of the best because it has grown organically over the course of a century and the same with leagues around europe. The wages are higher because everyone wants to watch it.

The Chinese league is a new fad, decades behind most european leagues with next to no quality other than aged 30+ pros who move for their last easy pay day, and a couple of ambitionless younger players. You can't fast forward a league's quality like you can pay for your Facebook page likes. It has to grow organically over many years and I imagine the average domestic chinese player is not very good.

I couldn't give a shit what Oscar does, but I know it does very little for his career and alot for his bank balance. In my opinion, footballers should want to achieve something at whatever level, and this strikes me as not wanting to achieve anything noteworthy and just get richer. If that is his main drive then fair enough.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm slightly with Green on this, majorly because Mills makes that mistake that ALL people who thing about only the money make - That everyone thinks the same. "If you were offered triple your salary, you'd be off' No! Sure, there are many people who will, but there are those of use for whom location, friends, family etc are just as important as money. It really irritates me people making that assumption.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Alan Green is the man.... why do you need more and more money when your bank account is already overflowing?... greed, pure greed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm slightly with Green on this, majorly because Mills makes that mistake that ALL people who thing about only the money make - That everyone thinks the same. "If you were offered triple your salary, you'd be off' No! Sure, there are many people who will, but there are those of use for whom location, friends, family etc are just as important as money. It really irritates me people making that assumption.

Throw ambition for medals/sporting achievements in there aswell, which doesn't translate well to most jobs. Any comparison with football and standard jobs is ****ing ridiculous anyway especially when discussing the very top of the pyramid.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Surely when you hit 100k a week + then its all about playing in the best league and playing against the best.. ?

100k a week or 300k a week... its ridiculous money whatever way you look at it.. and that dosent include all the sponsorship and money earning deals these players have...

Greed is what it is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are some players who won't move north, and others who won't move south in England, let alone a different continent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you Team Alan Green or Team Danny Mills?
Can I be on the fence? I suppose I'm mostly team Danny, as it's up to individual players to decide what they want. I don't fully agree with his point that people work to retire though - while that that's true for most of us, it's clearly not the case for many well paid celebs - a lot of them just like the work and want to continue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Green is basically saying that coming to England for the money is fine, but going to China for the money is not.
No he's not saying that - he's saying that there is a good standard of football here where Oscar will develop as a player and further his career, while the standard of football in China is currently poor and Oscar will likely be a worse player for it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I'd question the business model behind the Chinese Super League. They can't drop this sort of money on world class players forever. At some point, they need to develop their own good quality players, otherwise that league is just doomed.
They can drop quite a lot for quite a long time. If that brings talent and makes it an enjoyable league to watch, and the Chinese enjoy watching it, it will bring in money, and more kids will want to play etc. That's what Xi Jinping wants.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah, but then again think how many premier league teams have been put out wthout a single British player. How many English players adorn the premier league today?
But we started from a good base - English teams were winning the top trophy in Europe before we started bringing foreign players in.
Sure, I highly doubt that China will develop the best league in the world. But its not impossible. Asian TV money could be massive.
It's definitely not impossible, that could easily happen in 50 years, that is what they want. I'm just saying that I can at least see Alan's point that the level is poor at the moment, so someone like Oscar is going to be playing at a low level. You can't say the same about when foreign players started to come to England.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Players wages are one of those things about which I really do not care. Like film star wages. They're so distant from realism that accepting £100k p/w to accepting £400k p/w is just an irrelevance. If someone'll pay it, someone'll accept it and who can blame them?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm Team Green although I think he's articulated his case VERY poorly.

1. Oscar, his family and next two generations to come are ALREADY set up for life. so the argument about securing his family's future doesn't wash.

2. This next deal represents Oscar in the prime years of his career. He has the talent to play with the world's best but has opted to play in something akin to League 2 with noodles.

3. By dropping down in standard he could well be forfeiting his place in the Brazil squad.

4. I can only assume he has one eye on getting out of the game 5 years earlier than planned so he has more of a fortune to blow on coke and hookers.

On balance, Point 4 blows the other three out of the water so good luck to the lad!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely when you hit 100k a week + then its all about playing in the best league and playing against the best.. ?

Probably, but Oscar is a squad player. I honestly don't think the Premier League will be noticeably poorer without him.

He's not getting 90 minutes each week, so might as well take the money.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Green is a monumentally pompous git with an over-inflated ego. Back in the day, he fell out with Fergie (nothing wrong with that) but thereafter tended to frame it as some sort battle of equals. I suspect that the pros tend to think of him as a bit of a joke - or more likely have never heard of him in the first place. Needs a reality check. I didn't used to like Mills much but have warmed to him of late.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Probably, but Oscar is a squad player. I honestly don't think the Premier League will be noticeably poorer without him.

He's not getting 90 minutes each week, so might as well take the money.

In 10 years time someone will find him in a Rio brothel off his tits with three 16-year-old favela tarts heads-a-bobbin' below his 20 stone gut.

Him and Maradona could pair up and form the finest Sumo Spit Roast Tag Team in Latin America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here