Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you fat?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I see both the previous points. Give up 3 chocolate biscuits or run 5 miles? It's easier and quicker to give up the biscuits, not to mention reducing your sugar intake in the process. I think some people are under the impression that simply exercising more will be the answer to losing weight, but in practice calorie intake is more effective.
Depending on your weight, a five mile run will burn something like 600-700 calories for an average bloke, so that's more like 7-8 choccy digestives worth. Although I have worked with people that will easily munch their way through that in an afternoon.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Depending on your weight, a five mile run will burn something like 600-700 calories for an average bloke, so that's more like 7-8 choccy digestives worth. Although I have worked with people that will easily munch their way through that in an afternoon.
I can eat that in 2 or 3 minutes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spot on. Plus that's not ALL you burn. Running properly you need to stretch a little first and cool down and stretch again after which will burn a few more. And while it won't actually speed up your metabolism it will energise you which in turn will make you naturally more active. As an example when I came in from a run yesterday I was straight up and down the stairs putting in a load of washing and tidying up after the kids whereas, when I was tubbier, I would make any excuse to get the wife to do that sort of thing, See the bottom of this.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/pages/how-can-i-speed-up-my-metabolism.aspx

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
A combination of things but mostly a form of depression that makes me turn to food as a crutch.

Weirdly though I am still very active and run, play XI A side on a semi regular basis and would think nothing of walking everywhere all day if needed.

Just tend to eat crap when things turn crap.

I intend to get help with the depression and potentially try hypnotherapy.

And other good ideas welcome.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can eat that in 2 or 3 minutes.
I ought to have elaborated. I've seen people graze on biscuits and not realise that they've eaten half a packet, and/or not appreciate that they've effectively consumed an large meal's worth of calories in doing so. These are the sort of people that will blame their fatness on genetics, slow metabolism or other conditions.

Secret Eaters was a brilliant programme that illustrated this sort of thing very well.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
First things first, you want more muscle but not lose weight = Consume more calories than you expend.
I'm sure you already know this but just illustrating that this is key.

Nutrition: Get your Macros in check; 40% Carbs / 30% Protein / 30% Fat
Try not to lower the carbs and up the proteins as you won't have the energy to lift heavy which negates the whole point in building mass.
If you find it difficult in getting lots of Protein in meals, a good quality Protein shake is fine. Make sure you get a decent powder though as there's plenty of crap out there.

Exercise: There's loads of weight training programs that you can follow depending on what suits you.
To find the best sets/reps routine, have a look on Google for Body Builders recommendations. Specifically look into 'Pyramid Workout' or 'Pyramid Training'.

The best way to build muscle is lift heavy over lower reps and sets.
Compound workouts such as Bench Press/Deadlift/Squats (weighted) etc are a must as they target multiple muscle groups within just one movement.

Don't do too much cardio, definitely no HIIT.
Don't neglect legs.

Super-sets on Biceps-Triceps will increase your arm measurements quicker than anything.

Cheers for advice, much appreciated. Just clarify, I want lean muscle rather than looking big and bulky. I am thinking Brad Pitt in fight club rather than Arnie. So, is what you have advised good for that?

btw, totally agree on the pyramid workout, definitely the workout I have noticed most results with.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers for advice, much appreciated. Just clarify, I want lean muscle rather than looking big and bulky. I am thinking Brad Pitt in fight club rather than Arnie. So, is what you have advised good for that?

btw, totally agree on the pyramid workout, definitely the workout I have noticed most results with.

Do you have any fat to lose? What's your BF% ?

To get seriously big, like many body builders you see in gyms, they'll be on 4000+ calories a day. So as long as you stay between 2250 - 2750 you'll be fine.

Depending on your BF% I'll let you know what workouts are best (and how much Cardio you'll need).

Edit: Just read your previous post and you've said your 5' 10 and 'skinny'.
Again, depending on your BF% , assuming you're over 10% there's a number of things to get the Pitt Fight Club body.

Nutrition is key, he's about 8% BF in that flick and he would have avoided all refined grains, sugars and bad fats.

Adjust the Macro's I gave above to 40% Carb - 40% Protein - 20% Fat

Still go fairly heavy on the weights, but not to maximum effort/failure. Pyramid workouts are still great, but again, not to failure (but close to).

LOTS of work on chest and abs. Weighted crunches, multiple plank variations, pull-ups, tricep dips (i.e lots of body-weight exercises).

The above + Deadlift, bench press, squats, tri/biceps and a bit of swimming will do the trick.
Again, pending BF% (or weight) we can work out your calorie requirement but based on what you've said and want to acheive, it's going to be somewhere between 2000 - 2500 (assuming you're 10% +)

#1 rule for 8% BF though is cut out refined grains, cut down (or out if you can) bread, pasta, flour and most importantly sugar.
It's a killer getting down to 8% and in this case, it's a harder workout in the kitchen rather than the gym. Definitely doable if you're strict.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I ought to have elaborated. I've seen people graze on biscuits and not realise that they've eaten half a packet, and/or not appreciate that they've effectively consumed an large meal's worth of calories in doing so. These are the sort of people that will blame their fatness on genetics, slow metabolism or other conditions.

Secret Eaters was a brilliant programme that illustrated this sort of thing very well.

Yup, a lot of people who claim it is genetics are lying to themselves. Lass I work with always moans that diets don't work and nor does the gym. I have seen what she puts on her plate at lunchtime, it is outrageous.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Do you have any fat to lose? What's your BF% ?

To get seriously big, like many body builders you see in gyms, they'll be on 4000+ calories a day. So as long as you stay between 2250 - 2750 you'll be fine.

Depending on your BF% I'll let you know what workouts are best (and how much Cardio you'll need).

Edit: Just read your previous post and you've said your 5' 10 and 'skinny'.
Again, depending on your BF% , assuming you're over 10% there's a number of things to get the Pitt Fight Club body.

Nutrition is key, he's about 8% BF in that flick and he would have avoided all refined grains, sugars and bad fats.

Adjust the Macro's I gave above to 40% Carb - 40% Protein - 20% Fat

Still go fairly heavy on the weights, but not to maximum effort/failure. Pyramid workouts are still great, but again, not to failure (but close to).

LOTS of work on chest and abs. Weighted crunches, multiple plank variations, pull-ups, tricep dips (i.e lots of body-weight exercises).

The above + Deadlift, bench press, squats, tri/biceps and a bit of swimming will do the trick.
Again, pending BF% (or weight) we can work out your calorie requirement but based on what you've said and want to acheive, it's going to be somewhere between 2000 - 2500 (assuming you're 10% +)

#1 rule for 8% BF though is cut out refined grains, cut down (or out if you can) bread, pasta, flour and most importantly sugar.
It's a killer getting down to 8% and in this case, it's a harder workout in the kitchen rather than the gym. Definitely doable if you're strict.

Cheers. BF rate is around 17% btw so your advice looks good. BTW, is wholewheat pasta and bread ok or would you advise cutting out all shit?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers. BF rate is around 17% btw so your advice looks good. BTW, is wholewheat pasta and bread ok or would you advise cutting out all shit?

If you're genuinely at 17% and looking to cut to 8% you'll want to incorporate a fair amount of cardio into my above post.
At this stage (17-10ish pc BF) wholegrains are fine although minimize the bread, go for wholemeal pittas or similar.
Wholemeal pasta with Tuna or Chicken is great.
You'll need these for your cardio and weights. Still cut out all the refined crap and sugar though.

I'd advise 2 days HIIT (you can do all this cardio yourself without needing a gym) and 1 day SLD (slow long distance running).
2 days on the weights, 1 day low-resistance body weight training (plank variations, sit ups, pull ups etc) and a full day off.

Above you have 4 high intensity days, 2 easy days and a full day-off.

Restrict calories to 2000 (some will view this controversial but your #1 aim right now is to cut BF).

If you get a good HIIT circuit going and stick to the above, no sugars and not too many bad carbs, you can cut from 17% to 12% in 8 weeks (best case).
From 12-10% another month (best case) plus a revised diet & exercise regime.
10-8% 4-8 weeks with another revised diet & exercise regime.

Your goal is to cut down from 17-8% BF therefore you need to cut fat. Cardio is king here but weights are required for the lean look, but 2 days weights (proper sessions) are enough for that particular look.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

So does the Bell Cheeses At Work thread :lolol:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If you're genuinely at 17% and looking to cut to 8% you'll want to incorporate a fair amount of cardio into my above post.
At this stage (17-10ish pc BF) wholegrains are fine although minimize the bread, go for wholemeal pittas or similar.
Wholemeal pasta with Tuna or Chicken is great.
You'll need these for your cardio and weights. Still cut out all the refined crap and sugar though.

I'd advise 2 days HIIT (you can do all this cardio yourself without needing a gym) and 1 day SLD (slow long distance running).
2 days on the weights, 1 day low-resistance body weight training (plank variations, sit ups, pull ups etc) and a full day off.

Above you have 4 high intensity days, 2 easy days and a full day-off.

Restrict calories to 2000 (some will view this controversial but your #1 aim right now is to cut BF).

If you get a good HIIT circuit going and stick to the above, no sugars and not too many bad carbs, you can cut from 17% to 12% in 8 weeks (best case).
From 12-10% another month (best case) plus a revised diet & exercise regime.
10-8% 4-8 weeks with another revised diet & exercise regime.

Your goal is to cut down from 17-8% BF therefore you need to cut fat. Cardio is king here but weights are required for the lean look, but 2 days weights (proper sessions) are enough for that particular look.

Cheers chap, you certainly know your stuff!!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers chap, you certainly know your stuff!!

Haha, no problem at all.

I'm in a fairly similar boat.
Currently cutting back down to 8% from 11-12% but just don't have time to get on the weights more than once a week.

Did you get those footie shirts from SMM btw?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Haha, no problem at all.

I'm in a fairly similar boat.
Currently cutting back down to 8% from 11-12% but just don't have time to get on the weights more than once a week.

Did you get those footie shirts from SMM btw?

Yes indeed, thank you once again :)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I lost 5 stone in less than a year by doing the Atkins diet. I know people slag it down all the time but, hey, it worked. I've found it easy to keep my weight normal ever since.

I don't do exercise. It isn't manly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I lost 5 stone in less than a year by doing the Atkins diet. I know people slag it down all the time but, hey, it worked. I've found it easy to keep my weight normal ever since.

I don't do exercise. It isn't manly.

Just as well. If you did Atkins plus exercise you'd be dead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here