Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you fat?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm obese according to BMI. 5'8 and 18 stone. I play rugby so i consider myself a healthy fat if that makes sense.

I'm 5'8 and 10 stone, and happy. You must be almost entirely heavy muscle.

Dec 29, 2011
:lolol: Wind up.
The only thing that may be 'bad' for is a heavily overweight person putting strain on their knees and ankles.

Cardio, including running, is the best cure for weight loss.
HIIT shreds fat.

I'm 22 on the BMI calculator (even though that's a shit measure of health).
Play football 4 days per week, gym 1 day per week.
Still waiting for those bottom 2 abs to pop out but they seem to be shy.

Diet > Cardio > Weights

Sorry this is so late but I just read your reply and felt inclined to answer in case anyone who wanted to lose weight stumbled upon this. Running is terrible for weight loss compared to other forms for a few reasons. Firstly, most casual runners have terrible mechanics when it comes to running. They do more damage to their knees, hips and ankles with poor form and striking the hard pavement or treadmill than they do the few calories they drop. Most runners have had an injury at some point in their running career. The casual runner who thinks "I'm going to lose weight and run every day" will definitely get an injury at some point, and when that happens few people seek help and wait out to solve it, they just think "Maybe I'm not cut out to lose weight". Most the joggers I see in the park would be better off power walking. We know how to walk, we do it well, once they increase the speed a few MPH they suddenly put themselves at huge risk of long term injury and only burn a few calories more an hour.

Fixed machines in the gym would be better as the motion is limited. Cycling, x-trainer etc you can only move your body one way and so face less chance of injury. I think of it like machines vs. free weights - free weights give a much larger chance of injury.

Secondly most people do running as a slow, aerobic exercise. You mention HIIT but most people who run to lose weight won't do HIIT, they'll do a light jog. This is bad for losing weight as it's only burning calories while you run, rather than burning calories long after you run and all throughout the day. The best cure for weight loss is calories in < calories out. So by that equation increasing increasing the number of calories used will be the best cure of weight loss. A heavy legs session can use up to 500 calories, and then factor in the amount of calories burnt the next day for recovery and the (small) amount of extra calories your body will burn due to having to support more muscle. Post #33 has it spot on. Focus on a muscle building program and use HIIT cardio sparingly on your days off if you really want to start losing weight quickly.

I also think squatting is bad for someone starting a workout program, especially a 5x5 or 3x5 which most people online recommend. Come at me :lol:

But still, diet is the king. If you eat nothing you'll never get fat. Just work off that :lol:

Dec 29, 2011
Well I do numerous things when in the mood,but in one week I shed 10lbs jogging.

Losing 1lb of fat means a 3,500 calories deficit. Losing 10lb in one week means you used 35,000 calories more in one week than you took in. Assuming your diet didn't change in that week (probably wrong), and assuming a fast jog for one hour burns 500 calories, that means you must have jogged 70 hours in one week to burn the 10lb. Also consider 1 litre of water is 2.2lbs, it's more likely you were dehydrated the second time you weighed yourself - it's only 5 litres for the whole 10lbs and starting a jogging regime will make you dehydrated.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I lost 1st doing the 5 and 2 thing, it took 4 months.
It was hard at first but it trains you to eat less on the days that you can eat more funnily enough.
I'm a tad over 6 ft and weigh 13st now.
I am going to aim for 12 and 1/2 st by next Feb, but will have to lose what I will be picked up over the Xmas break I expect.
I don't want to be any lighter than that, so will just need toning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry this is so late but I just read your reply and felt inclined to answer in case anyone who wanted to lose weight stumbled upon this. Running is terrible for weight loss compared to other forms for a few reasons. Firstly, most casual runners have terrible mechanics when it comes to running. They do more damage to their knees, hips and ankles with poor form and striking the hard pavement or treadmill than they do the few calories they drop. Most runners have had an injury at some point in their running career. The casual runner who thinks "I'm going to lose weight and run every day" will definitely get an injury at some point, and when that happens few people seek help and wait out to solve it, they just think "Maybe I'm not cut out to lose weight". Most the joggers I see in the park would be better off power walking. We know how to walk, we do it well, once they increase the speed a few MPH they suddenly put themselves at huge risk of long term injury and only burn a few calories more an hour.

Fixed machines in the gym would be better as the motion is limited. Cycling, x-trainer etc you can only move your body one way and so face less chance of injury. I think of it like machines vs. free weights - free weights give a much larger chance of injury.

Secondly most people do running as a slow, aerobic exercise. You mention HIIT but most people who run to lose weight won't do HIIT, they'll do a light jog. This is bad for losing weight as it's only burning calories while you run, rather than burning calories long after you run and all throughout the day. The best cure for weight loss is calories in < calories out. So by that equation increasing increasing the number of calories used will be the best cure of weight loss. A heavy legs session can use up to 500 calories, and then factor in the amount of calories burnt the next day for recovery and the (small) amount of extra calories your body will burn due to having to support more muscle. Post #33 has it spot on. Focus on a muscle building program and use HIIT cardio sparingly on your days off if you really want to start losing weight quickly.

I also think squatting is bad for someone starting a workout program, especially a 5x5 or 3x5 which most people online recommend. Come at me :lol:

But still, diet is the king. If you eat nothing you'll never get fat. Just work off that :lol:

Running is one of the most efficient ways of burning calories, so one of the quickest to help you get on the right side of the cals in/out equation which as you say. is really the key. Agree with you re mechanics and injury potential, but like any other sport technique can be learned (midfoot technique, high cadence, forward centre of gravity) and risks lowered. Injury at some point is probably inevitable, but again like most things can be quick to recover if recognised and managed properly.

The benefits of running massively outweigh the negatives for me (I was 18 stone when I started) but agree power walking is a decent substitute - a mile is a mile, however fast you cover it, it's just that running it will burn the cals faster. Slow, less intense running burns fat (not necessarily cals) better than HIIT and you can keep going for much longer. A mix of the two is usually best, with as much offroad as possible to lessen impact, repetitive strain and improve strength and conditioning through a greater range of muscle use.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Everything you've (well) written there IS spot on.
However, you're information is swayed towards injury prevention over weight-loss. Which is fine, as it's still very good advice that people should take in, if newly starting exercise, especially at a heavier weight.

You've put in bold "The best cure..." - see the end of my post; "Diet > Cardio > Weights".

Every persons body is different and different forms of exercise will suit others.

The facts at the end of the day are (for weight loss and assuming there's no pre-existing injury or health concerns):

#1 Diet (as you've best put it) Calories In < Calories Out.

#2 Heat-Rate - The faster you get your heart pumping, the more calories/fat you burn (see HIIT/Interval Training/Sprints/Hills/Cardio) - but of course, unrelated to weight loss, make sure form is good and don't do anything that is likely to injure you if you have pre-existing conditions or are at a weight so heavy that you're likely to injure yourself.
- It is worth noting, that all cardio/HIIT will burn fat, but also use muscle/protein as energy. So if you're going for a 'buff' look - less Cardio, more weights.

#3 Weights - The energy spent on building muscle (during and after workouts) is a big calorie blaster. Although heavy lifting will only produce the best results (high weight/low reps) rather than lighter weights and higher reps.

Of course there are points to be argued and challenged - as stated at the beginning of the post, horses for courses.
For me personally, HIIT 4x p/w and weights 1x p/w works best for me.

Others for a variety of reasons, will work better with more weights, less cardio.

I forgot to mention, you're spot on about the X-Trainer (although lower calorie burn as lower heart rate) and gym-bike (high heart rate - high calorie burn). These are both great alternatives to running with a very low chance of injury.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I've lost 2 and a half stone since April using the lchf diet . find it amazing and there is a lot of studies coming out now saying fat is good for you its the carbs. so no bread potatoes rice pasta beer and nothing with sugar in obviously . those things I gave up were in essence my whole diet but I found it quite easy, even the beer part . the weight is still coming off and it has added health benefits also. I've tried going mad down the gym and eating just salads etc but it was hard to sustain.
breakfast now sausages eggs bacon with the eggs fried in butter!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
How are you defining fat? At my medical I was classified officially overweight but I've done 8 marathons and longer this year. Eat what I like, run 50 miles a week, weight stays the same.

If you are classified as overweight - I dread to think what I am!

I need to improve my diet and excercise more (currently just 3 hours of playing football a week) - but I need the motivation or it just wont happen. I go through a regular balloning and thining every other year. But I'm happier now with being a little overweight than ever before. Trouble is, I dont think that helps....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've lost 2 and a half stone since April using the lchf diet . find it amazing and there is a lot of studies coming out now saying fat is good for you its the carbs. so no bread potatoes rice pasta beer and nothing with sugar in obviously . those things I gave up were in essence my whole diet but I found it quite easy, even the beer part . the weight is still coming off and it has added health benefits also. I've tried going mad down the gym and eating just salads etc but it was hard to sustain.
This basically underlines my theory on THE EASIEST WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT:-

Have a really piss poor diet to start with!!

Having lost a stone since March it turns out to be pretty easy.
Ride more - eat less sh**.

If I weren't addicted to sugar and Pork Scratchings I probably could have doubled that weight loss.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011

don't you feel tired without carbs? I would be too tired to exercise. Doesn't sound sustainable, you never going to eat carbs again?

The answer is always the same to lose weight and keep it off. Eat a little better and exercise a little more.

Make small changes that are sustainable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I lost a lot of weight through a combination of running and diet change plus going "dry" a month off booze. Lost nearly three stone doing this. It got me in to a shape where I can now run more quickly and more technically. I've been running three times a weekl since January and have only missed three runs due to injury. Last night I felt a lot of pain in my right leg which I am getting checked out but, if I have to have time out, then I have a back up plan that will involve long walks, swimming and better diet until I can run again.

Running has been the most positive thing I have ever had in my life. Not only has it helped me to lose weight it has changed my life. My mental health is better. I've made friends. I'm also fit enough to help out at my son's football team, Cubs and school cricket club whereas I couldn't have done any of that a year ago.

Without changing my diet and giving up booze for a month I wouldn't have lost the weight so quickly but the payoff for me was faster running times as much as it was weight loss. I have now maintained my weight at almost exactly the same (82 kilos and I'm 6 foot 1) healthy BMI but, because I run, I'm back to eating pretty much what I want and having wine and beer at weekends without putting on a pound.

I really don't care what the science says - without running I wouldn't have lost the weight so quickly or healthily. That's not to denigrate diet or lifestyle change or say that running is for everyone, but, for me personally, running has been the best thing for weight loss and a lot more besides.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
don't you feel tired without carbs? I would be too tired to exercise. Doesn't sound sustainable, you never going to eat carbs again?

The answer is always the same to lose weight and keep it off. Eat a little better and exercise a little more.

Make small changes that are sustainable.
Quite a difference between refined carbs (sugar, white bread, pasta etc) and unrefined carbs - I thought the same until I tried long distance running on a low carb regime. Didn't have any problems. I should cut out refined carbs more than I do but I like them too much and have no discipline [emoji1]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I lost a lot of weight through a combination of running and diet change plus going "dry" a month off booze. Lost nearly three stone doing this. It got me in to a shape where I can now run more quickly and more technically. I've been running three times a weekl since January and have only missed three runs due to injury. Last night I felt a lot of pain in my right leg which I am getting checked out but, if I have to have time out, then I have a back up plan that will involve long walks, swimming and better diet until I can run again.

Running has been the most positive thing I have ever had in my life. Not only has it helped me to lose weight it has changed my life. My mental health is better. I've made friends. I'm also fit enough to help out at my son's football team, Cubs and school cricket club whereas I couldn't have done any of that a year ago.

Without changing my diet and giving up booze for a month I wouldn't have lost the weight so quickly but the payoff for me was faster running times as much as it was weight loss. I have now maintained my weight at almost exactly the same (82 kilos and I'm 6 foot 1) healthy BMI but, because I run, I'm back to eating pretty much what I want and having wine and beer at weekends without putting on a pound.

I really don't care what the science says - without running I wouldn't have lost the weight so quickly or healthily. That's not to denigrate diet or lifestyle change or say that running is for everyone, but, for me personally, running has been the best thing for weight loss and a lot more besides.

Yours is a view shared by many runners, me included.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
This basically underlines my theory on THE EASIEST WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT:-

Have a really piss poor diet to start with!!

Having lost a stone since March it turns out to be pretty easy.
Ride more - eat less sh**.

If I weren't addicted to sugar and Pork Scratchings I probably could have doubled that weight loss.

sugar is obviously a big no no (including the glucose that simple carbs like bread break down into )

pork scratchings however are fine as a snack ... no carbs

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
No, but some c*nt nicked my six pack a few years back and left me with a beer belly.
If any one seis a body that looks ripped and lean ,
Could u please get in touch thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here