Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you British or English?

• Total voters

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think a lot of Northern Irish people would disagree with that statement about them being Irish !! Ireland is a separate country all together from NI !!
As is England separate from Scotland and Wales simple geography really. Northeren Ireland has pounds and pence Rep Of Ireland has the Euro etc totally different country

Erm they are Irish wether they like it or not. They are not from the Republic of Ireland for sure and they hold a United Kingdom passport, but they are neither English, Scottish or Welsh.

Or am I asuming there is a new nationality called Northen Irish? I suposse that would work.

Just to add my view on thw whole troubles thing, I believe that should Northen Ireland whish to remain part of the UK then I am very happy about this. In fact I would prefere it if they did so.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If people "feeling British" is what it was feared would be lost, then yes those fears were clearly misplaced.

But, if losing, for all intents and purposes, an independent and sovereign armed forces, head of state, and parliamentary process, was in fact what was feared, then in fact, those fears have been realized.

Yes, although my point was that as most people here regard themselves as being of a nation (England) that has no head of state, parliament or armed forces, any concerns that pooling sovereignty with EU countries would lead to a loss of identity are surely misplaced. I am extremely pleased to be English in spite of the fact that England has less autonomy than, say Wisconsin.

National identity goes much deeper than the posturing of politicians.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, although my point was that as most people here regard themselves as being of a nation (England) that has no head of state, parliament or armed forces, any concerns that pooling sovereignty with EU countries would lead to a loss of identity are surely misplaced. I am extremely pleased to be English in spite of the fact that England has less autonomy than, say Wisconsin.

National identity goes much deeper than the posturing of politicians.

I think it has always really been about the legislature. People have expressed fear of losing the national identity, but I think that is because they see the national identity is kind of a protector of national sovereignty and autonomy. The criticisms of the superficial stuff, like flags and anthems always seems to me to be more about what they represent, and what they undermine, than those things themselves.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I was born in Scotland of an Anglo-Irish mother and father from The Continent but have lived most of my life in England. I do think of myself as English, even though I'm not really English at all. So I have to be British, because I'm not actually Scottish. And not an ounce of Welsh blood fills my veins.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Brightonian English British European Earthling

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
You are what you speak, British is not a language English is,, so therefore I am English.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No comment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You are what you speak, British is not a language English is,, so therefore I am English.

But lots of languages aren't places and, for example, a lot of people in Sri Lanka speak English as their first language. Does that make them English?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here