Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you British or English?

• Total voters

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have always felt both British and English. I don't see what is wrong with this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Both ( why no option for both ? ).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't think I have a stock answer either way it depends which comes into my head first.

If I'm watching Andy Murray winning then I class my self as British, if he's losing then obviously I'm English.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
English first, British second.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
its jus become fashionable and a bit chippy to say oh I am English not British. Takes more than a few shouty jocks to stop me recognising the flag anthem and my nationality I grew up with that now everyone talks about changing. I wish other English people werent so thin skinned.

Outside the UK there is no distinction anyway unless someone is quite clued up, its a very introspective debate.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
English. Always cross 'British' out on the census. It's nothin to do with being thin skinned but rather to do with being confident of who I am.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
do you cross it out on your passport. Now that would be confident.

Ha ha ha! I haven't had a passport (for various reasons) since the 90's. I must admit to being tempted but I confess I didn't want to lose the money or the chance of going abroad :(

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
There is also no such Nationalty as British !
You cannot answer the question
"What is your Nationalty" ? With the answer British as it incorporates Northern Ireland ,
Scotland and Wales !
We are all British subjects if born within these countries
But your National identity is the actual country you were born in
IMHO !!!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Anyone born in the UK who doesn't class themselves as British either has a chip on their shoulder or a political opinion regarding nationalist issues.

As I'm English, I'm both.

ask a scot or a welsh man what they are and see the response.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
There is also no such Nationalty as British !
You cannot answer the question
"What is your Nationalty" ? With the answer British as it incorporates Northern Ireland ,
Scotland and Wales !
We are all British subjects if born within these countries
But your National identity is the actual country you were born in
IMHO !!!

Then why when filling out many forms on the nationality section its says white british & not white english?

Winchester1

Aug 27, 2012
Downtown Winchester
I've been away recently on holiday in Thailand and was frequently asked "Where do you come from?" If I had responded with the answer Great Britain, that would have left my host confused and me with an identity crisis! I'm from England and I'm 100% english!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here