[Politics] Are you a so called working class Conservative ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am a working class Tory who has always helped people and when my sister lnlaws husband died leaving 3 girls under eight and a building project steped up to the plate. I tend to find those whose views are opposite to mine bang on about poverty and food banks(i contribute) but when it comes to actually personally helping wouldn't give you there used shit paper.

I think that most people despite class or political leanings help others. 'Stepping up to the plate' as you put it is an entirely human thing that people do when and if they can. I am seeing it all over Australia at the moment as the country fights busy fires. Small sacrifices, big efforts, donations, all sorts.

I am yet to see evidence that this stuff is linked to voting. Having said that it does seem that charity etc is part of the conservative welfare package whereas the left would rather solve more problems within government.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
As a Remainer, I witnessed 3 plus years of NSC’s devout Remainers (and often Corbyn fanatics), trying to shut down any Brexiteer who dared have an opinion. With 10,000’s of belittling and accusing comments, all targeted with the same smears.

NSC’s definitely been a happier place in the last 5 weeks, with football chat finally reclaiming its deserved prominence, over the stuck in a loop political insults.

I'm glad you find it so much a happier place, for me not so much - although it's interesting to note you don't mention any of the Leaver's who were throwing insults around all through the last three years. As a public sector worke five more years of a government shunted even further to the right is not such a calming prospect but at least the forums are quiet for you, eh?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
George Orwell described it as being your values, beliefs and traditions. I tend to go with this.

Working class" is a socioeconomic term used to describe persons in a social class marked by jobs that provide low pay, require limited skill and/or physical labor, and have reduced education requirements. Unemployed persons or those supported by a social welfare program are often included in this group.

That’s me then, I don’t own a home either.

I voted Tory.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Working class" is a socioeconomic term used to describe persons in a social class marked by jobs that provide low pay, require limited skill and/or physical labor, and have reduced education requirements. Unemployed persons or those supported by a social welfare program are often included in this group.

That’s me then, I don’t own a home either.

I voted Tory.

I don’t agree with that as a definition. For example there are plenty of educated working class people.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If you are,well what's wrong with that ?

No.

And aren't we now a classless society? All of our children should work, either for economic or social benefit.

Karl Marx would be happy with your use of 'working class'. Do you also use 'Bourgeoisie'?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a working class Tory who has always helped people and when my sister lnlaws husband died leaving 3 girls under eight and a building project steped up to the plate. I tend to find those whose views are opposite to mine bang on about poverty and food banks(i contribute) but when it comes to actually personally helping wouldn't give you there used shit paper.

How do you know people who “ bang on about poverty and food banks” don’t help others? Are they supposed to go on social media and tell everyone like you have just done? Maybe they don’t like to “bang on” about it?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

There a few things that make me cringe more than a tory telling me what they do 'for charity', giving a few cans of beans to a food bank in order that you conscience is nice and clear, buying the big issue out of social embarrassment, doing a 5k to show off your caring and sharing credentials.

You know what really would make a difference? Restoring a society where people didn't have to use food banks - Can you imagine what it is like to have to go and collect 3 days of supplies to feed your kids, living of your donated beans? You know how much the average food bank user has to live on after housing? £7 a day. £7 a flipping day, it's eye watering & shameful but that doesn't matter does it, you've donated, done your bit.

I could quote any particular line from The Housemartins' 'Flag Day' to tell how I feel about this but I'll just go with "Too many Florence Nightingales, not enough Robin Hoods, too many halos not enough heroes, coming up with the goods"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There a few things that make me cringe more than a tory telling me what they do 'for charity', giving a few cans of beans to a food bank in order that you conscience is nice and clear, buying the big issue out of social embarrassment, doing a 5k to show off your caring and sharing credentials.

You know what really would make a difference? Restoring a society where people didn't have to use food banks - Can you imagine what it is like to have to go and collect 3 days of supplies to feed your kids, living of your donated beans? You know how much the average food bank user has to live on after housing? £7 a day. £7 a flipping day, it's eye watering & shameful but that doesn't matter does it, you've donated, done your bit.

I could quote any particular line from The Housemartins' 'Flag Day' to tell how I feel about this but I'll just go with "Too many Florence Nightingales, not enough Robin Hoods, too many halos not enough heroes, coming up with the goods"

Eloquently put.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm glad you find it so much a happier place, for me not so much - although it's interesting to note you don't mention any of the Leaver's who were throwing insults around all through the last three years. As a public sector worke five more years of a government shunted even further to the right is not such a calming prospect but at least the forums are quiet for you, eh?

Brexit uncertainty and a bitter verbal Class War hung over NSC and society in general over the last 3.5 years. Dominating. Hatred eg to Gina Miller, borderline violence, anti semitism from the hard left, anti semitism and other racism from the far right, depressing splits amongst families. Class War stoked by your friends Corbyn, Burgon, Rayner and Thornberry who almost certainly lost many votes in their bitter, charmless TV interviews.

Labour were the architects of their own downfall. A duplicitous EU campaign that attempted to trick the North, Midlands and Wales they were pro Brexit, the South and cities pro Remain. Taxation policies that would’ve hammered the millions running small companies, anyone earning over £80k and any pensioner owing a few shares or more.

Let’s see if Johnson embarks on a very right wing agenda. The large majority might mean that he doesn’t have to assuage the likes of Duncan-Smith. Their manifesto promised huge spending pledges on the police, nurses and other areas.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m a snowflake middle class leftie outraged by everything.

Call a policeman, call a policeman!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
NSC’s definitely been a happier place in the last 5 weeks, with football chat finally reclaiming its deserved prominence, over the stuck in a loop political insults.

And then someone started this thread.................:facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wondered how long it’d be before the usual suspects started trying to mock anyone that isn’t getting on board with their victory. Not long.
I have stayed away from politics over the festive period and don’t plan on returning to it after this post. Usual sore winners trying to shut down commentary.
Enjoy .
Too right.

I've vowed not to post on the Brexit thread - even though PPF's extracts from his best-selling *bad winning for dummies* is often shown by tapatalk as an un-ignorable latest post on the thread.

I have also deleted every political follow from my Twitter feed. It is pretty much all football on there now ( + President SuperVillain ) and is a much more pleasant and positive app to use.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So the desperate A & E figures , worst ever waiting times are wrong then ???

Coupled with an ageing population, a population that previously looked after ourselves more and had the skills within the family unit to deal with minor medical ailments .... luckily under labour there were no job losses, the economy blossomed, the NHS run like clockwork and all of that with a stack of cash left in the treasury coffers ... oh I've missed Labour.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They’ll pay heavily in 5 years time if they don’t deliver.

Indeed. Amid all the bile and tribalism this is where I am currently.

Boris has a huge amount to deliver on. If he gets it right then he'll keep power for a very long time. That won't suit my "tribe" necessarily but if the country is doing well and it looks like the future is bright for my kids after all then I'll doff my cap to him and say well done.

If it does turn out to be a pack of lies and unicorns then this could be the last Tory government for a good long while. It will still probably need Labour to elect Starmer and work with the SNP though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed. Amid all the bile and tribalism this is where I am currently.

Boris has a huge amount to deliver on. If he gets it right then he'll keep power for a very long time. That won't suit my "tribe" necessarily but if the country is doing well and it looks like the future is bright for my kids after all then I'll doff my cap to him and say well done.

If it does turn out to be a pack of lies and unicorns then this could be the last Tory government for a good long while. It will still probably need Labour to elect Starmer and work with the SNP though.

He won't deliver

The bus has had a slow puncture for over 3 years, there was a chance to stop and fix it, instead he told the passengers all will be fine and most believed him. A blow out is still possible in a few months

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Coupled with an ageing population, a population that previously looked after ourselves more and had the skills within the family unit to deal with minor medical ailments .... luckily under labour there were no job losses, the economy blossomed, the NHS run like clockwork and all of that with a stack of cash left in the treasury coffers ... oh I've missed Labour.

I’ll take all that over having a racist misogynist miles removed from the reality of the man/woman on the street courtesy of his privileged upbringing as our head of state. It was bad enough when he was putting his foot in it as Foreign Secretary. Sure, denigrate Labour all you like, and fair enough, but voting for Johnson is quite something else altogether. Vile, utterly vile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports