Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are you a so called working class Conservative ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Till you lose your job or suffer bad health

I lost my job 18m ago and Mrs Earle had a significant operation on the NHS a few weeks ago. I imagine I'm a working class conservative and those two events caused no issues. What's working class anyway (calling Jolly Red Giant). A refuse collector, a train driver, a teacher, bank staff, shop staff? They all work significant hours to earn a crust and many of them are what I would regard as extremely well paid. In my head, working class is no more than a political term that went out with 3rd Class travel on the railways.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sorry. I disagree. It’s okay for tangible things like broken bones and operations etc. But it’s totally and utterly woeful for things like mental health. And I will say this for the umpteenth time, it’s biggest single issue is a lack of funding.

I'd argue that point, mismanagement of funds and a top heavy structure. Way too many managers but it is old school government run.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if you work hard enough the opportunities are there for anyone who wants it in this country.

Everyone can’t have everything.....so your trite statement isn’t logical.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry. I disagree. It’s okay for tangible things like broken bones and operations etc. But it’s totally and utterly woeful for things like mental health. And I will say this for the umpteenth time, it’s biggest single issue is a lack of funding.

I think you just said something a little positive. You sound just like some of my relatives from Luebeck whos son has mental problems. Always moaning they get no help.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I lost my job 18m ago and Mrs Earle had a significant operation on the NHS a few weeks ago. I imagine I'm a working class conservative and those two events caused no issues. What's working class anyway (calling Jolly Red Giant). A refuse collector, a train driver, a teacher, bank staff, shop staff? They all work significant hours to earn a crust and many of them are what I would regard as extremely well paid. In my head, working class is no more than a political term that went out with 3rd Class travel on the railways.

No such thing as working class Tories, there are those who care about others and there are those who mantra is 'I'm alright Jack and sod everyone else'

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Have you used the NHS recently? It is brilliant, but suffering from increased customer numbers, expectations and demands.

But with £350m a week now being pumped in,
50,000 new nurses,
40+ new hospitals due to be built and
All those nasty foreigners banned from coming in and clogging up our hospitals

We should be absolutely fine, shouldn’t we?

Oh.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thank you Matt Hancock but I'd rather believe the nurses and doctors on the frontline

dont the front line nurses and doctors agree there is more demand, with the suggestion we need more of them?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Yep, my wife and I are in our late twenties and both are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you just said something a little positive. You sound just like some of my relatives from Luebeck whos son has mental problems. Always moaning they get no help.

Lovely stuff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think people should have private medical insurance. Nothing wrong with a bit of queue jumping if you can afford it. If you can't, wait your turn with the great unwashed:whistle:

I agree.

Except....NHS docs moonlight in private practice? ??? They use NHS facilities to do private practice. This was the deal made when labour invented the NHS, because labour needed a sop to bring the medics on board.

And of course the state massively subsidises a medic's education in the UK, then does not demand a cut when they go off to private practice.

If private medicine was truly that, private universities, students funded by mummy and daddy, and no leaching off the NHS, its training, facilities and infrastructure, fine.

But it isn't.

Corbyn missed a trick with this. I'd be happy to write labour's manifesto pledge on private medicine. Absolutely in favour of it - but not queue jumping in the NHS which always puts the non-private patient at the back of the queue - to see the consultant, to get an appointment for surgery, chemo, etc.

This is how the conservatives are turning back the clock - the more they underfund the NHS (inadequate increases in funding is sufficient) the more those with the cash will go private, which undermines the NHS....not rocket science....politics.

This is where I am red in tooth and claw. Not wrt renationalising British Gas. FFS. :shrug::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Then I clearly don't understand their meanings as I thought working class and middle class were two different groups of society

Strictly speaking, if you have to sell your time and labour to earn a living, then you are working class.
But people also use "working class" as a (usually derogatory) term to describe social class - how good your manners are, whether you drive a fancy car, have professional qualifications, have a big house, or watch Eastenders and are a "pleb".
Of course some working class earn more than others, and like to differentiate by calling themselves "middle class". But they'd still be broke if they lost the ability to work.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So the desperate A & E figures , worst ever waiting times are wrong then ???

Shortest waiting times since records began in 2010, longest waiting times since records became in 2020

Health inflation running at 4%, 2010-2020 invest around 1.5%

Have the working class been gaslit?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You might need this.

Funny, but based on a series of McDonnell lies. Many millions more were going to face very significant increases in direct taxation under the suicidal Labour Manifesto. Which was explained many times on the election thread. Then Andrew Neil destroyed Corbyn on this very point in the TV interview. Finally, the IFS said Labour’s figures “were not credible”.

The rest is history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here