[Music] Are you a Pink Floyd fan?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you a Pink Floyd fan

• Total voters

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Roger has become a bit of a twat, but BEFORE he became a bit of a twat he could definitely write/compose some incredible albums. Not just the Floyd stuff but Pros and Cons, Radio KAOS and Amused to Death are (IMO) amazing albums.
Saw his DSOTM tour and The Wall which were great audibly and visually, but unfortunately everything he does now is so politically skewed it takes the joy out of going to a concert. Right or wrong, I'm going to a music concert, not a political rally.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Pink Floyd, like Fleetwood Mac, is two bands, In both cases the answer, for me, is at first 'Yes of course I am', followed by 'Meh'. Syd and Greeny's bands were never artistically surpassed by the behemoths that followed. That's not to say that both later acts didn't make the odd decent record.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pink Floyd, like Fleetwood Mac, is two bands, In both cases the answer, for me, is at first 'Yes of course I am', followed by 'Meh'. Syd and Greeny's bands were never artistically surpassed by the behemoths that followed. That's not to say that both later acts didn't make the odd decent record.
As understatements go that is right up there :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As understatements go that is right up there :lolol:
Not for me, but then I have very little time for prog: Some songs on 'DSotM', a quarter of 'The Wall' a couple of songs on 'WYWH', both of which go on a bit. Most of the rest is awful prog noodling or tasteful wallpaper.

Whereas Astronomy Domine, Bike, See Emily Play, Arnold Layne, The Gnome, Interstellar Overdrive, Apples & Oranges etc. all fantastic. I'd take a minute of 'Effervescing Elephant' over three decades of post Syd Floyd.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Love Piper at the Gates of Dawn and all the early Columbia singles, so the only other albums of theirs I play regularly are Relics and Dark Side of the Moon.
Think I've also got copies of Meddle, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's the sort of music the pot heads listen to...you know, it's that sort of music
I have never partaken of the evil weed in any way shape or form, and would happily listen to Pink Floyd at any time. DSoTM came out during my first year at University, and everybody would be sitting around listening to it quite happily, many - like me, choosing not to do that stuff,

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not for me, but then I have very little time for prog: Some songs on 'DSotM', a quarter of 'The Wall' a couple of songs on 'WYWH', both of which go on a bit. Most of the rest is awful prog noodling or tasteful wallpaper.

Whereas Astronomy Domine, Bike, See Emily Play, Arnold Layne, The Gnome, Interstellar Overdrive, Apples & Oranges etc. all fantastic. I'd take a minute of 'Effervescing Elephant' over three decades of post Syd Floyd.
Just posted above that DSoTM came out during my first year at Uni, and I can’t help feeling you had to be there to realise how different (groundbreaking?) it was.
But I would also prefer stuff that preceded it rather than a lot of what came after, whether with or without Syd Barrett.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Just posted above that DSoTM came out during my first year at Uni, and I can’t help feeling you had to be there to realise how different (groundbreaking?) it was.
But I would also prefer stuff that preceded it rather than a lot of what came after, whether with or without Syd Barrett.
The 'you had to be there' argument is one that really just says 'This music was important to me at a time when music was really important to me.' It doesn't really mean anything to others who don't have our memories. 'Nevermind' was the blockbuster album of my university years and I loved the album at the time, went to see them on tour etc. but am aware that my fondness for that is less to do with the objective quality of the album and more to do with how much fun being young was.

DSotM may be an album beloved of a lot of people, but it doesn't stand out as groundbreaking. It sits comfortably among a lot of long form work done before and after by Pink Floyd and by a lot of their contemporaries. As far as future influence goes, the main one seems to be those other posh boys in love with the smell of their own farts - Radiohead. I've just not got a lot of time for public school boys being deep. If I want deep, I'll read literature. You musicians aren't as interesting or clever as you think you are - just write me a pop song.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
They had a number of hits and were a huge band globally but for me they were a bit too progrock for my liking I much preferred Black Sabbath and early Led Zeppelin

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The 'you had to be there' argument is one that really just says 'This music was important to me at a time when music was really important to me.' It doesn't really mean anything to others who don't have our memories. 'Nevermind' was the blockbuster album of my university years and I loved the album at the time, went to see them on tour etc. but am aware that my fondness for that is less to do with the objective quality of the album and more to do with how much fun being young was.

DSotM may be an album beloved of a lot of people, but it doesn't stand out as groundbreaking. It sits comfortably among a lot of long form work done before and after by Pink Floyd and by a lot of their contemporaries. As far as future influence goes, the main one seems to be those other posh boys in love with the smell of their own farts - Radiohead. I've just not got a lot of time for public school boys being deep. If I want deep, I'll read literature. You musicians aren't as interesting or clever as you think you are - just write me a pop song.
I'm not a fan of Dark Side of the Moon, I don't think I've tried to actively listen to it in full without falling asleep.
But I think more than being an album that appeals to people who were there at the time, it appeals to people in a certain situation - late teens early twenties, who want something that seems overtly intelligent and thoughtful but is still basically musical and accessible.
If you first hear the music around that age, it'll have a similar feeling to if you heard it at that age when it came out. In my case generally more in the vain of "christ that was depressing" rather than "that was great fun", but there we go.
I do have very fond memories of listening to Speed King from Deep Purple In Rock, while driving to work in a Citroën C1 that would struggled to top 80mph.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I did follow groundbreaking with a question mark. Blockbuster is probably a better word. It was very different as far as I can see to anything they had done before.

I like a bit of posh boy stuff, but it depends on what. Didn’t Mick Jagger and Keith Richard both go to Art College? I was a great Genesis fan in the Gabriel years, but not necessarily of other progrock bands. Yes, for example, I could go along with, but always had hints of musical wallpaper. I’d go for Blur over Oasis anyway. But Radiohead don’t really do snyth8ng for me.

Each to his own. My own favourite ever bands are Cream and the Allman Brothers Band (early stuff before Duane Allman died) and plenty of people’s reaction to that would be “who?”

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Relics - that was a good album :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not a massive fan of the overly twee and dated early Syd Barrett stuff, but mid-period Floyd was pretty incredible at times. The Live at Pompeii DVD is worth a watch too, can be found on YouTube.

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

I mean, if a 6 year old writes that you pat them on the head and say well done...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports