[Albion] Are we the poorest side to survive a PL season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So does that mean that we can't draw any accurate conclusions as every season's different with varying team quality?

Sorry, but that doesn't wash at all. It's not just a short time period over a few years. It's over 24 of them.

Regardless of how it's spun, another 2 losses with a few goals conceded and we'll have the 2nd worst 17th place finish.

Safe or not, the numbers don't lie....however much we'd all like them to.

I think there are other factors but of course points and goals difference is one way of analysing the answer to this query. And of course i don't dispute the data that you've researched.
If that helps threads like this where over and over multiple posters want to debate on NSC just how bad the club they support have been this season a few hours after we find out we are staying up then great but I still think its perplexing.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So does that mean that we can't draw any accurate conclusions as every season's different with varying team quality?

Sorry, but that doesn't wash at all. It's not just a short time period over a few years. It's over 24 of them.

Regardless of how it's spun, another 2 losses with a few goals conceded and we'll have the 2nd worst 17th place finish.

Safe or not, the numbers don't lie....however much we'd all like them to.

I agree really. Some people claiming others are miserable gits for simply questioning whether perhaps we have been rather lucky to survive this season. Facts are facts - our stats for the season are pretty dreadful and have lead to us being (in all likelihood) the team with 2nd fewest points (and probably fewest shots on goal etc??) ever to survive in the prem.

Fortunately I'm sure Bloom etc don't have blinkered rose tinted spectacles and will know that there is a hell of a lot of work to do over summer.

Having said that, the cup run was hugely memorable, we did the double over our rivals, a few great perforlances, e.g. United at home and the scouse away, at one point it seemed like Murray would score with every chance he had.... It's not been all bad by any means. And we'll go again next season - hopefully with some new (premier league experienced!) blood...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
But we haven't and another 2 wins and a few goals scored and we would have had a brilliant finish. Your point is ?

But that didn't happen. So this is where we are. Hence the statistics.

lumponmyhead

Mar 13, 2013
The quality dropped off after the Everton win. You don't mention that there was the distraction of the cup run? Perhaps those games added to player fatigue and are why the quality became poor. Agreed there have been games where certain team members did not look as though they were bothered about winning which was hard to understand since they are paid a fortune to perform. But, a semi final at Wembley, convincing wins over our arch rival, and Premiership football next season, look at it that way and let's forget the bad bits, people do anyway.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
But that still means we have been good enough to stay up :shrug:

It really shouldn't be enough to merely stay up.

Especially as this was supposed to be all about consolidation..and we've somehow finished lower.

More than happy to update the stats if we pick up any more points this season. Hopefully today.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think what the season did show is that there is a bit of a soft underbelly in the team - that when it came to the crunch some players seemed to bottle it and the confidence ebbed.

One game I can think of - in January Brighton were 2-0 against Fulham after 17 mins and lost 4-2. I think the rot started there and many of the players lost confidence and started to panic.

Two things Hughton needs to do - find at least one striker who can score - Murray cannot be relied on any longer - and - get rid of the players who didn't dig in for the long haul and find players who will.

Whether Brighton fans accept it or not - the club is a small fish in a pond of very large fish who are awash with money - and every season will be a struggle just as it is for Burnley, Palace, Bournemouth, Southampton, even Newcastle (and Wolves and Watford could be back in the mix again next season). Remember this - in 2001-2002 when Brighton were winning Division 2 - Many City were playing in Division 1 - now they have the billions of the middle east princes and can splash money with abandon.

The reality of the PL is that every club will need to spend close to £100million a season just to stand still - and the top six will be spending that, and more, on a single player. Anything up to £2billion is going to be spent by PL clubs this off-season - that means there is major competition for players (especially strikers) across the division.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Especially as this was supposed to be all about consolidation..and we've somehow finished lower.

Agree. Really don't think anybody next season should be trotting out 'What do people expect, its only our 3rd season in the PL'. The club knows exactly what is required now and have all summer to improve the quality in the squad and, above all, majorly improve the quality in the first team.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's a funny old game.

If we had got the exact same results but reversed the first and last halves of the season, I suspect (apart from the usual suspects) the Joy on here would be inestimable.

Well yes, that’s the point isn’t it? We’re on a massive downward trajectory. If the decline in our performances and results is not sorted out, we’re nailed on for relegation next season, that’s why some of us are a bit negative about it.

Having said that, there were some of us who even questioned Hughton in the first half of the season when we were getting some results as our tactics were not sustainable as it proved. We have been really poor pretty much all season in honesty. If the manager’s not prepared or able to change things next season then we’re in for a long season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Give it a rest! A '****ing dire' team doesn't accumulate 35 points (with two games to play) in their second ever season in the Premier League.

The second half of the season had been pretty dire, yes, but we're pretty much where I expected us to be.

Wow! Talk about a contradiction... right there!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well it wasn't really a definitive question with a definitive answer. The disparity betwixt top and bottom seems ever increasing, and the style and pace changes over the years, I suppose from a personal point of view it's the style of football and entertainment on offer that's been most disappointing, whilst not even grinding out expected results, but getting lucky elsewhere, even assuming that evens out it's still been a poor season. the vagaries of my question have at least created an half sensible debate. I think the majority of us agree we need to good close season and some changes/upgrades or we won't succeed next season otherwise.

By succeed I'd hope for survival and some form of improvement, which is what we expected a year ago, but didn't get.

Quoted stats have clearly highlighted we're not quite the worst team to survive a PL season, but it's not great reading. Beating Palace is not on the scale compared to some of the abject displays, performances and results elsewhere.

And agreed . A lot of NSC posters are saying that.. And presumably given we're not likely to get more than last seasons 40 points you can objectively say that. (Although as a club we've had another year's ££s to develop in multiple ways) . But you started a thread asking if we were the worst EVER ? in 25 odd years ? Why ? Based on what ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

More than happy to update the stats if we pick up any more points this season. Hopefully today.

The second season in the PL is always difficult for promoted teams.

2010-2011 - Birmingham went down in their second season (Wolves finished 17th and were relegated the following season)
2012-2013 - QPR were relegated in their second season
2013-2014 - Norwich relegated in their 3rd season
2014-2015 - Hull relegated in their second season
2016-2017 - Watford finished 17th in their second season
2018-2019 - Huddersfield relegated.

Incidentally - over the past 10 years Burnley have been promoted three times and relegated twice - while 10 years ago Norwich were in League 1 and have been promoted three times and relegated twice.

Unless some oligarch comes in and pumps several £billion into the club (eventually they all p*ss-off and leave the club hanging) - this is the life for Brighton in the PL - there will be good seasons where mid-table will beckon and poor seasons of relegation battles. If you survive it is a good season - And all of that is irrespective of the manager.

Hughton has been here and done that - the guy knows what it takes to keep a club in the PL - and even then he might not succeed. The guy is a good manager and highly respected among his peers - when he was sacked by Norwich a host of PL clubs wanted him as assistant manager / first team coach. He was directly responsible for the best year Newcastle had over the past 15 years (although Pardew was given the credit) - Hughton could do a good job with a big club.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We’re on a massive downward trajectory. .

We're not though are we ?
I think we'd all agree that Huddersfield are on a massive downward trajectory. They have 14 points and were relegated weeks ago compared to last season.
Although even in their case they were struggling in 2017/18 and really struggling in 2018/19.
How does it compare to them ?

What about Watford - they lost 6 out of their last 9 games last season, winning just one. They had 1 win in 12 over December/January. - were they on a "massive downward trajectory" . How did things work out for them the following season ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or hate seeing football, which we love, being played the way Albion have been playing?

See, it’s not that simple.

Not really what I was saying, people are taking it well beyond just being discontent with a bad few months of football. It is that simple really.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The second season in the PL is always difficult for promoted teams.

Not always.

Bournemouth finished 9th with 46 points in their 2nd season (2016-2017).

Their first season (2015-2016) saw them finish 16th with 42 points.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well it wasn't really a definitive question with a definitive answer. The disparity betwixt top and bottom seems ever increasing, and the style and pace changes over the years, I suppose from a personal point of view it's the style of football and entertainment on offer that's been most disappointing, whilst not even grinding out expected results, but getting lucky elsewhere, even assuming that evens out it's still been a poor season. the vagaries of my question have at least created an half sensible debate. I think the majority of us agree we need to good close season and some changes/upgrades or we won't succeed next season otherwise.

By succeed I'd hope for survival and some form of improvement, which is what we expected a year ago, but didn't get.

Quoted stats have clearly highlighted we're not quite the worst team to survive a PL season, but it's not great reading. Beating Palace is not on the scale compared to some of the abject displays, performances and results elsewhere.

Fair points (and I'm sorry for calling you a soppy drama tart for asking were we the worst - drink may have been taken :wink:)

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
What is certain is that next season we are going to be one of the favourites for relegation.

Last year there was definitely Huddersfield as a weaker non-relegated team and we finished above Southampton as well. This year I would be surprised if any of the other non-relegated teams could be described as weaker than us (though Southampton don't seem able to improve much, they have improved more than us this year).

On the plus side, there isn't an obvious Wolves-like great team being promoted from the Championship. Generally one or two of the teams promoted get relegated. The year we went up none of the promoted teams were relegated, which was rather unusual. And all three teams promoted being relegated next season has only happened recently once - in 2013. So it's most likely that at least one current Premier team will be relegated next year - and I think everyone's relegation favourites will be those three promoted teams and us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Give it a rest! A '****ing dire' team doesn't accumulate 35 points (with two games to play) in their second ever season in the Premier League.

The second half of the season had been pretty dire, yes, but we're pretty much where I expected us to be.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This. There has been one hell of a load of utter shite posted on here this morning. I can't help feeling that sixth formers are using NSC to populate their sociology coursework assignments. Any more of it and I may be forced to start another music thread.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Look at the Newcastle game. When we’ve been poor, we’ve been really poor (first half), but play like we did second half and I don’t think we’re any worse than the rest of the teams from 10th place down. We’re alright.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This. There has been one hell of a load of utter shite posted on here this morning. I can't help feeling that sixth formers are using NSC to populate their sociology coursework assignments. Any more of it and I may be forced to start another music thread.

How about you start your own Brighton forum and stop treating the rest of us to your diatribe?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Southampton don't seem able to improve much, they have improved more than us this year.

Southampton have the same number of points as last season. - although to be fair they are home to Hudds in their last game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports