Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we going to be in a relegation battle

Are we going to be in a relegation battle?

• Total voters

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I don't think they printed them until after 10 games.

Well the ten games are up now and as we approach the end of the first quarter and we are only 3 points from a relegation place, it is so easy to fall into the relegation scrap and defeat at Watford Saturday could see us just outside the bottom three on goal difference.
Like Symyjym said, we need those magical 50 points and at our present rate of accumulation we are not going to make it.
The Championship is a very hard league and I will be much happier when we can start scoring goals and climbing the table.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I cannot believe people are seriously suggesting we could go down. That's absolute nonsense. Look at the players we have. Alright, some of the new ones haven't clicked yet, but even so. Lua-Lua, March, Holla, Colunga, Crofts, Stockdale, Dunk, Ince, even Bruno. They are all very good Championship players, they're not relegation players. The phrase 'too good to go down' is always a worry, but we are too good to go down. We'll be comfortably top half. I predict we'll finish in a similar position to where we did in the first season at the Amex.

I also predict that at some point after a few wins there will be 'Could we make automatic promotion?' threads on here. Followed by 'Hyypia has to go' and 'We're going to get sucked into a relegation battle' a few weeks later after a bad run.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I cannot believe people are seriously suggesting we could go down. That's absolute nonsense. Look at the players we have. Alright, some of the new ones haven't clicked yet, but even so. Lua-Lua, March, Holla, Colunga, Crofts, Stockdale, Dunk, Ince, even Bruno. They are all very good Championship players, they're not relegation players. The phrase 'too good to go down' is always a worry, but we are too good to go down. We'll be comfortably top half. I predict we'll finish in a similar position to where we did in the first season at the Amex.

I also predict that at some point after a few wins there will be 'Could we make automatic promotion?' threads on here. Followed by 'Hyypia has to go' and 'We're going to get sucked into a relegation battle' a few weeks later after a bad run.

This. And the fact that we'll probably look to strengthen where needed in January, as we have done in the past 2 seasons.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
This. And the fact that we'll probably look to strengthen where needed in January, as we have done in the past 2 seasons.

Do you think we really strengthened in January, when in came Lingard, Rodriguez, Stephens and Obika out went Barnes, Bridcutt, El Abd, Barker and Lita

The fees alone would suggest otherwise.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
After attending last nights match, the only problem I can see is how we are going to score goals.

Passing game was good and we controlled long spells of the game but lacked any cutting edge in the final third. We failed to create many clear cut chances but had the lions share of possession. If this can be addressed then we will be fine. Obviously not scoring goals creates its own pressures.

Are you sure you were there? Cutting edge was fine Tuesday just had at least 2 world class saves and 3 or 4 very good ones as well to keep us out. Bored of same old cliches being trotted out when actually Tuesday gave me a lot more optimism. It was attacking without being cavalier and on another day would have resulted in at least 3 goals for us. On current form we will be upper mid table.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Are you sure you were there? Cutting edge was fine Tuesday just had at least 2 world class saves and 3 or 4 very good ones as well to keep us out. Bored of same old cliches being trotted out when actually Tuesday gave me a lot more optimism. It was attacking without being cavalier and on another day would have resulted in at least 3 goals for us. On current form we will be upper mid table.

What, our current form is 3 points from a possible 15 over the last 5 games, are you sure?

gully1984

May 3, 2014
This thread is ludicrous. Why would anyone want to talk our way into negativity. Pathetic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who thinks we will be in a relegation battle?

Right now, we are in a relegation battle - 3 points off the bottom 3. We need to pull away as fast as we can.

Are we going to be in a relegation battle come next Spring? No, I don't think so.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think there has been a bit of 'player power' going on. The way Hyypia had the team playing from pre-season to the way they have been playing recently are very different (especially post Brentford). Think a few of the senior players might have had a word and said we need to tighten up at the back and get back to clean sheets and then go from there rather than the gung-ho approach he seemed to favour.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Do you think we really strengthened in January, when in came Lingard, Rodriguez, Stephens and Obika out went Barnes, Bridcutt, El Abd, Barker and Lita

The fees alone would suggest otherwise.

We made a 1m+ bid for a Grabban and also a bid for Conway, so to suggest that we didn't attempt to strengthen isn't true. And the season before we bought Ulloa and tried to but Van Dyke (eventually getting Upson instead), so my point is that TB isn't afraid of using the January window.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
If we were in a true relegation battle Cardiff would not have come for a point and we would not have had so many chances to win it. Need to score more goals and keep the defence tight and we will be fine, start of the season we were scoring but not defending, now we are generally defending, creating chances and not scoring, hopefully we will click soon and go on a long winning run

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I think we'll be fine
It is going to take time for Hyypia to get the players playing how he wants them to play and it is starting to happen.
As many others have said we do need another striker - another find like Leo would not go amiss !!

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
We made a 1m+ bid for a Grabban and also a bid for Conway, so to suggest that we didn't attempt to strengthen isn't true. And the season before we bought Ulloa and tried to but Van Dyke (eventually getting Upson instead), so my point is that TB isn't afraid of using the January window.

Sorry but you stated we did strengthen last January, not tried to. Also have you not listened to TB, he has many times stated he hates to do business in January.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
If our forwards don't start firing or if we don't bring in a proven goalscorer at this level we will struggle.

We play some nice attacking football but lack any cutting edge, this then makes any mistake at the back look calamitous.

Hypia has got us playing attractive football but the personell up top are seriously lacking.

So if we don't improve this we will be in the bottom third all season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sorry but you stated we did strengthen last January, not tried to. Also have you not listened to TB, he has many times stated he hates to do business in January.

This is what I put verbatim:

'This. And the fact that we'll probably look to strengthen where needed in January, as we have done in the past 2 seasons.'

Could be take either way. As for what TB says he hates doing, I think that the actions speak louder: during the last 2 seasons we have made serious bids to strengthen in the January window.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The phrase 'too good to go down' is always a worry, but we are too good to go down. We'll be comfortably top half. I predict we'll finish in a similar position to where we did in the first season at the Amex.

Our forwards are proving no better than the League One forwards that they are. One goal in 10 games from four forwards is frankly pathetic, quite how you can state we are too good to go down with the forwards we currently have is suspect...to me.

I think we'll be OK but only if we get in a quality striker or one of the ones we have starts to play like a Championship player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I also predict that at some point after a few wins there will be 'Could we make automatic promotion?' threads on here. Followed by 'Hyypia has to go'.

And then, after a couple more wins, by "Sami for the Newcastle job?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here