Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we cheats?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can see a Rhodes style signing coming in during the January window as Bloom goes 'all in' to secure promotion. I suspect we'll fail FFP this season but who cares? It's worked for the aforementioned clubs and we'll get more than enough compensation if we are promoted.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My understanding is that from this season the FFP limit is £39m on a rolling three year basis. So no, we're not cheats but will need to cash in our high value players if we don't go up.

Yes. But not all the losses, believed to be £20m a year at the moment, count towards FFP spending. Money on youth development, stadiums, infrastructure etc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I suspect we'll fail FFP this season but who cares? .

Given the club have publicly backed FFP for years, publicly say they will stay within its limits, publicly get angered at its flaws (QPR for example), and commit to keeping the club sustainable financially then i guess Brighton and Hove Albion will care.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When did the three years start and I believe we lost £10 mill the season before which would equal £30 mill in two years. And I believe we lost £10 mill the years before. I don't know when FFP starts or finishes, but the fact we are gambling hugely surely means we are breaking FFP?

Oh for hevens sake, we are not breaking FFP. We have until the end of 2018/19 to lose more than £39m and even then not all loses count towards FFP.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh for hevens sake, we are not breaking FFP. We have until the end of 2018/19 to lose more than £39m and even then not all loses count towards FFP.

So if we don't go up we need to trim back quite a lot. 'Heavens sake'? Woke up on the wrong side?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So if we don't go up we need to trim back quite a lot. 'Heavens sake'? Woke up on the wrong side?

That part was because it's already been explained to you, quite clearly, that we are not breaking FFP. I doubt we would have to trim back. For starters many costs don't count towards FFP - the £1m rent on the stadium for example. I have enough trust in experts such as Tony and PB that the £7m per year we're 'over' FFP each year at the moment is made up of non-FFP loses.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can see a Rhodes style signing coming in during the January window as Bloom goes 'all in' to secure promotion. I suspect we'll fail FFP this season but who cares? It's worked for the aforementioned clubs and we'll get more than enough compensation if we are promoted.

TBH I'd care a bit. Not enormously, but a bit. We've had FFP rammed down our throats for years and have taken the high horse on other clubs' 'cheating'. I want us to stay within the rules. Admittedly, breaking it now wouldn't be as bad as 3 years ago or so as its been a shit shame in the end that changed an awful lot because the FL are spineless.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
its been a shit shame in the end that changed an awful lot because the FL are spineless.

It has but multiple clubs have had transfer bans (Forest, Bolton, Fulham, Cardiff) and also a fair few (Bournemouth, Leicester etc) have had substantial fines. Myth to say you aren't punished if you break FFP.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Blooms going all in this season, that's the gamble

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
It has but multiple clubs have had transfer bans (Forest, Bolton, Fulham, Cardiff) and also a fair few (Bournemouth, Leicester etc) have had substantial fines. Myth to say you aren't punished if you break FFP.

I agree. Add Millwall to that list too. They were in breach of FFP in the season they were relegated. The FL deemed they had not gained an advantage so were not punished.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So basically, what I say, we are cheating the FFP. We can't really sit here on our high horses any more and say we did it fairly, assuming we do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

My predictive text again kicked in then think I meant 'a bit shit'. Yes you're right, it has worked ok on that side. But the problem is the ones going up and then the fine is nothing to them. Also, the QPR thing a complete joke & the 'waiting til they come down' to punish thing pretty lame.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

My predictive text again kicked in then think I meant 'a bit shit'. Yes you're right, it has worked ok on that side. But the problem is the ones going up and then the fine is nothing to them. Also, the QPR thing a complete joke & the 'waiting til they come down' to punish thing pretty lame.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Yes. Agreed. Its frustrating for the (many) clubs that do stick within the rules including us. Points deductions would be a better sanction in some cases. Although how thats possible when clubs are no longer in the EFL is of course interesting.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So basically, what I say, we are cheating the FFP. We can't really sit here on our high horses any more and say we did it fairly, assuming we do.

You are talking nonsense. I predicted a loss of £20 million about six months ago, and explained at the time that it would be within FFP because of the following

Reported accounting losses £20 million
Add back: Youth development costs £3-4 million at least according to people I speak to at other clubs)
Depreciation of stadium etc £5 million (per last year accounts )
FFP loss £11-12 million

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here