Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a better team WITH or WITHOUT Welbeck?

With or Without?

• With

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Without

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Depends on opposition

Votes: 81 50.3%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's 32 and in the opening round of fixtures this year clocked a top speed of 35.28 km/h, second fastest in the league after Darwin Nunez.
This - he’s still quick.

Too many people are wedded to the past, supporting Welbeck. Danny is too old and slow. He was a great player during his day, but that was a while ago now.

scooter1

How soon is now?
He doesn't score enough goals, but is a good team player. If kept fit, he is a good fit for our current set up. He can bring others into play and will help Ferguson with his experience. At 32 he has another couple of years in him, again if he can stay fit. We've done well with him over the years he has been with us, when you consider how many games a season he was playing previously(awaits stats to be proved incorrect)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is an excellent question that is very hard to answer, if not impossible. When he joined, I felt it was an odd signing and he didn't impress me for a while. These days I like his presence on the pitch. He is absolutely brilliant at creating space and pulls defenders all over the place. That said, he doesn't score loads and his finishing has been lacking at times. He's a genuine leader on the pitch and clearly many of the players look up to him.

In short, delighted he's in our squad, but I couldn't honestly say we are any better or worse with him playing. I vote depends on who we're playing.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes and no. He just disappoints on the level of goals that his skill and class suggests, also seems a nice guy.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Danny's role is to enable us to manage Evan's minutes in the transition from youth player to first team regular. He will get plenty of game time opportunities between now and the rest of the season. However in the pecking order, he's holding off Undav for second striker rather than seriously being considered our first choice

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've put depends on the opposition, but I'm not sure it's entirely about the opposition. Welbeck is getting on, so won't be 100% in every game. Ferguson is young and inexperienced and won't be 100% in every game. It feels we've had games with Welbeck starting, being ineffective, getting switched for Ferguson who changes the game. And we've had games where Ferguson starts, being ineffecitve, getting switched for Welbeck who changes the game.

It feels like we're in a sweet spot between the old guy and the new guy, where both offer something when the other isn't doing so well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He doesn't score enough goals, but is a good team player. If kept fit, he is a good fit for our current set up. He can bring others into play and will help Ferguson with his experience. At 32 he has another couple of years in him, again if he can stay fit. We've done well with him over the years he has been with us, when you consider how many games a season he was playing previously(awaits stats to be proved incorrect)
He has never been prolific and he doesn't seem to have lost his effectiveness. Bit surprised he got over 30 caps for England with this record, but presumably his all round play is what works for him. When managers are disappointed he doesn't score 20 goals a season appears to be when he moves on. I'm very happy we have him.

1680078200056.png

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
He's 32 and in the opening round of fixtures this year clocked a top speed of 35.28 km/h, second fastest in the league after Darwin Nunez.

Yeah and how many of those sprints can he sustain during the course of a match? You're living in the past and in denial. I would have Ferguson and Undav on the pitch (ideally together) anytime these days rather than Danny. And let's not completely forget the inability to score goals and the fact that he's injury prone.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
He has never been prolific and he doesn't seem to have lost his effectiveness. Bit surprised he got over 30 caps for England with this record, but presumably his all round play is what works for him. When managers are disappointed he doesn't score 20 goals a season appears to be when he moves on. I'm very happy we have him.

View attachment 158955
That is totally opaque, it needs to be ‘minutes played’ not ‘appearances’. An appearance could be 5 minutes.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Too many people are wedded to the past, supporting Welbeck. Danny is too old and slow. He was a great player during his day, but that was a while ago now.
1. He isn't too old or even old.
2. He isn't too slow or even slow.
3. He wasn't a great player.

Aside from that, he's always been a good player and especially useful to have with Ferguson cutting his teeth in the side.

So I suppose I'm 'supporting' Welbeck, whatever that means.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
1. He isn't too old or even old.
2. He isn't too slow or even slow.
3. He wasn't a great player.

Aside from that, he's always been a good player and especially useful to have with Ferguson cutting his teeth in the side.

So I suppose I'm 'supporting' Welbeck, whatever that means.
We can debate 1. and 2. until the cows come home and let's not go too far down the semantic route regarding whether he was "great" or "good" or a mediocre snowflake or whatever. We shall see what RDZ does with him during the remainder of the season (if by some unlikely chance he stays fit), which is likely to determine his future.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
When we talk about strikers not getting enough goals I always think of Peter Beardsley. The press were always banging on about how few goals he scored but Gary Lineker loved playing with him. It was the same with Emile Heskey. Michael Owen loved playing with him but the press always banged on about him not scoring enough goals. The press got their way and both were dropped to the detriment of Lineker and Owen. I often wonder whose side the press are on!

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
When we talk about strikers not getting enough goals I always think of Peter Beardsley. The press were always banging on about how few goals he scored but Gary Lineker loved playing with him. It was the same with Emile Heskey. Michael Owen loved playing with him but the press always banged on about him not scoring enough goals. The press got their way and both were dropped to the detriment of Lineker and Owen. I often wonder whose side the press are on!
That's a good (but not great - sorry couldn't help myself) point. Danny's real worth would have been having him around the club to mentor the kids, to be a role model and to have a bit of a feel-good effect on his team mates. All difficult to measure but nonetheless important. Don't start me on the football press.........

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
the sun fitting up john terry's dad just before a tournament? it does make you wonder, it's almost like they're lieing

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He is just the type of striker we need. A quality squad player. He will not start every game and will not expect to. He will flit in and out of the starting 11 but will be on the pitch at some time for most games (when fit). He seems happy with that role. He will be very difficult to replace. We score enough goals with him in and around the side.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Our attacking options without him in the squad are a bit thin on the ground, Welbeck is a valuable player in terms of squad depth,take him out of the equation and we're struggling.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
there’s definitely a space for someone with his leadership in our squad, and we will always have a use for his ability to pull defenders out of position.

Ideally in the squad, i’d like 3 players who can play that number 9 role. whilst we have that at the moment, it’s far from ideal that two of those players have scored two league goals between them. welbecks finishing is usually awful, but i’m prepared to overlook that if we have two other strikers capable of scoring. we have one in ferguson, whether undav becomes that second player or we buy a new one this summer remains to be seen, though to be honest i am once again leaning towards the latter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here