Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a better team WITH or WITHOUT Welbeck?

With or Without?

• With

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Without

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Depends on opposition

Votes: 81 50.3%

• Total voters

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just something I’ve noticed under RDZ, I feel like our good start under Potter we were hitting Welbeck a lot more down the channels, under RDZ we seem to like the forward coming to feet and using players either side to support which Welbeck doesn’t seem to enjoy.

Welbeck has really struggled with the change in style of play more than anyone else, he’s our best out and out striker… but are we better off playing Trossard there?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's no clear answer to that. There's games where a Welbeck is very useful and games where he isn't.

Yesterday I would have liked to see hm swap roles with Tross for a while. I think he would have provided Matty Cash with a different type of challenge, a more physical one, which might have required one of their CBs to come pull out to the left and help deal with it, creating more spaces for someone like Trossard centrally.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I feel like Welbeck is our Jesus, not scoring many, but he attracts a focus of attention from a defence that really does help the team. It didn't come off for Welbeck yesterday, but same could be said of quite a few of them including Trossard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's no clear answer to that. There's games where a Welbeck is very useful and games where he isn't.

Yesterday I would have liked to see hm swap roles with Tross for a while. I think he would have provided Matty Cash with a different type of challenge, a more physical one, which might have required one of their CBs to come pull out to the left and help deal with it, creating more spaces for someone like Trossard centrally.
Yep.

The poll needs a 'depends' option.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yep.

The poll needs a 'depends' option.

Added a depends option, fence sitters :wink:

I think you have to question Welbecks value, given he hasn’t scored a league goal all season, under RDZ attacking style I’ve noticed he slows our attacks down quite significantly, there were times yesterday when he seemed very reluctant to come to feet to pick up the ball.

There is some value in taking up defenders attentions based on your perceived threat but I feel like I’ve noticed a decline in his all round play this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread is making me dizzy.

Dizzy.PNG

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We are currently at our best with this attacking formation:

———————-Trossard——————-
—-Mitoma———Lallana——-March—-

That means no Welbeck sadly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This.........and no goals in 14 PL games for him........that is shocking !
At some point this spring, I think it was when Welbeck replaced Maupay and results turned for the better (which was not entirely through that change as some made it out to be), I said something along the lines with "at some point, people are going to notice that Welbeck actually doesn't really score goals and people are going to throw shit at him"... which was met with some fury, since things were going well.

Mind you, he scored a couple after I said that, but the point remains. He is not a better finisher than Maupay. He never has and never will reach 10 goals in a PL season.

That doesn't make him useless though. He has several other qualities that helps his teammates. In the game against Liverpool he was directly involved in two of Trossards goals and arguably played a role in the third.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Glad the "depends" option was added as, currently, it's the only correct answer. Look back to our opening win at Old Trafford and Welbeck absolutely bullying Slabhead and Martinez. Would have had a goal had he not (incorrectly) been flagged offside when the official should have let it run. You don't lose that, no matter who the coach is.

Is he the mythical "20 goal a season striker"? No. Almost no one is. Is he a VERY useful squad player, fulcrum and nuisance on his day? Abso-f***ing-lutely.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Under Potter earlier this season we played more direct/channel balls which suited Danny more, it’s more since then I’m not questioning his overall input, aside from the first game at Anfield when RDZ probably hadn’t got his game plan across yet.

I think my point is, given the way RDZ sets the side up, I just can’t see how Welbeck is going to fit, what made us have much more cutting edge at Wolves and against Chelsea was the ability of all our players to come short for the ball into feet, Welbeck repeatedly yesterday ran in behind which left a bit of a hole in the middle, especially with Lallana off. It’s fairly obvious as his running is his best attribute but I’m not sure that’s ever going to fit in with our altered new style.

Just my opinion but from what I’ve seen so far I’m not sure he has the technical ability to play in a RDZ system.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Under Potter earlier this season we played more direct/channel balls which suited Danny more, it’s more since then I’m not questioning his overall input, aside from the first game at Anfield when RDZ probably hadn’t got his game plan across yet.

I think my point is, given the way RDZ sets the side up, I just can’t see how Welbeck is going to fit, what made us have much more cutting edge at Wolves and against Chelsea was the ability of all our players to come short for the ball into feet, Welbeck repeatedly yesterday ran in behind which left a bit of a hole in the middle, especially with Lallana off. It’s fairly obvious as his running is his best attribute but I’m not sure that’s ever going to fit in with our altered new style.

Just my opinion but from what I’ve seen so far I’m not sure he has the technical ability to play in a RDZ system.
I think the "cutting edge" against Wolves and Chelsea... and Leicester, United x2 and Arsenal in the spring etc was heavily down to these teams trying to play football, which has proven to be a very dangerous thing to do against Brighton. Think Welbz would have done well against Chelsea and Wolves, and also think there is a fair chance that Mitoma would have struggled (mind you, maybe a bit less than some) along with the rest yesterday.

Think Welbeck will be fine in the "altered new style", especially when RDZ realises that there will be some games where short passing through the middle isn't going to work out like it does in Serie A.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think the "cutting edge" against Wolves and Chelsea... and Leicester, United x2 and Arsenal in the spring etc was heavily down to these teams trying to play football, which has proven to be a very dangerous thing to do against Brighton. Think Welbz would have done well against Chelsea and Wolves, and also think there is a fair chance that Mitoma would have struggled (mind you, maybe a bit less than some) along with the rest yesterday.

Think Welbeck will be fine in the "altered new style", especially when RDZ realises that there will be some games where short passing through the middle isn't going to work out like it does in Serie A.
It's veering off topic a little but Villa were quite open for parts of yesterday. They started with a line so high it was on the halfway line. Then they conceded within a minute. Although that goal was down to them being robbed trying to play football it also meant they couldn't sit back. In the first half they had over 45% possession and more shots than us. They continually split the centre backs because of the large gap, down to Dunk out of position and Colwill's lack of experience.

In the second half they sat back and wasted time, especially in the later stages but the first half was open and end to end, and I think Mitoma would have thrived in it (and that we would probably have got at least a point if one of Gilmour or Lamptey had come on for Lallana and possibly won had Lallana stayed fit).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed.

I know we're not allowed to say this, but we might need to get a.....*looks around for any sign of Andy Naylor, gulps*....new striker.

I strongly suspect RDZ will be thinking this too, regardless of what he says in public.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
With the attacking options we've got, false 9 seems the best option to me. Bring Danny on if we need to be more direct later in the game

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Too many people are wedded to the past, supporting Welbeck. Danny is too old and slow. He was a great player during his day, but that was a while ago now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here