Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any advantages to drinking ALE instead of LAGER?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
images

I despise this advert, sums up everything thats wrong around the real ale culture. I will happily drink all styles of beer, had some nice cold Budvar last night followed by a bottle of Hogs back tea, i dont drink either to feel superior, i drink them because i like them.

It should be like this. If you drink ale instead of lager you don't look like a tastless buffoon who makes his drink choices based on mass advertising campaigns rather than actual preference.

That seems a little unfair. I've always drunk lager because I generally prefer the taste, not because of some TV ad with a French bloke swanning down a train on the Riviera or a couple of goons taking phone calls in a beach hut.

Perhaps I've been a little ignorant to the variety of ales available and am only now fully appreciating that fact, but to label all lager drinkers as lemmings is harsh. There will always be a place for a nice, cold San Miguel.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Point taken about the difference between mass produced shite and quality bottled stuff; next time I'm out and about I'll give some foreign lagers a try.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
agree, Trufflehound. seems alot of snobbery on show, people saying lager is "tasteless" who no doubt have never tried anything other than the commerically prominent brands. this attitude ignores the like of John Smiths in the ale camp. also just because a real ale pub is selling Old Toe Jam, doesnt mean its actualy very good.

people who knock lager purely on the commercial experience should really try Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Erdinger Dunkel, a Marzen, or a Bock. i reckon you'll prefer them to something like a Boddingtons. in fact you'll probably find many good lagers taste not unlike some ales, they often use the same hops.

THIS. Ale snobs please read the above post and you might learn something.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As someone who's introduction to lager was the rubbish brewed here in the 70's and 80's I could not stand the stuff. But never really understood why it tasted so good abroad. The first decent lager I tasted here were the Czech ones in the late 80's (Budwar and Urquell) - but the thing that converted me to decent lager was reading a book by Pete Brown - Man Walks into a Pub. It tells how lagers are brewed and how they took ideas from the brewing of India Pale Ale. Now I am more than happy drinking a decent lager - although I do reach for a pint of Harveys first.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I despise this advert, sums up everything thats wrong around the real ale culture. I will happily drink all styles of beer, had some nice cold Budvar last night followed by a bottle of Hogs back tea, i dont drink either to feel superior, i drink them because i like them.

reminds me of when they took over the Northern and they had all their shit adverts everywhere. f***ing goblins and lord of the rings and all that is hardly going to persuade lager drinkers that real ale is cool is it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That advert was clearly dreamt up by some tosser with a ponytail in an office overlooking the Thames.

Truff's post #59 nailed this debate, by the way.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I drink both, preference is:

Harvey's
Doom
Dark Star
Arundel

All of which you have to make sure is right or ensure you have running shoes on

Guinness
Peroni
Blonde Lager (Is it Hepworths?) (Must be really cold)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here