Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any advantages to drinking ALE instead of LAGER?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been on the ales for a fair few years now and far nicer stuff than lager

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The major disadvantage is that you turn in to a snob about what you drink, basically. Ale itself is perfectly harmless (and indeed worth drinking, if decent ones are available) other than this potential side effect, which this thread has shown to a great extent.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As stated previously rubbish (i.e. badly kept) ale is worse than lager and has no doubt alienated many potential ale drinkers over the years as well as the myths that it is served warm and cloudy.

If it is not cold, clear and tasty hand pass it over the bar and demand your money back!

Proper continental lager not brewed by multi-national chemical companies (e.g. Budvar) is also lovely so there should really be no conflict between the two styles of beer. My rule of thumb about ANY beer is if it is mass produced and heavily advertised it is likely to be piss poor, if it isn't then .... :drink:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
One thing I noticed after alternating between the two over many years is that I drink two pints of lager an hour against three pints of ale an hour, so there is an expenditure factor involved...

Another thing to throw in. Ale is not to be served tepid. It's a myth that Britain loves warm beer. It should be cellar cool, which means warmer than from a fridge.

A lot of brewers now make golden ales which are partly there to lure in lager drinkers. These can also be served a little cooler.

It's true, there are plenty of decent lagers around, but anyone who seriously believes Stella is a quality beer really has been taken in by some very clever marketing. If you don't believe me, do a blind tasting alongside some other premium lagers like Peroni, Beck's or Sam Smith's Pure Brewed and you'll see for yourself.

Hop Back Summer Lightning is nice to drink chilled, and it is a "live" bottled ale available in many Supermarkets (4 for £5.50 in Morrisons f'rinstance). The proper Czech Budvar is also good from the fridge, nothing like the 'orrible American stuff.

Now I like a nice glass of real ale, and I am also partial to a decent chilled lager on a summers day. But which is best? There's only one way to find out...........

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
It is far nicer than lager and there is such a large variety you can choose from. I also find that I don't have nearly as bad hangovers drinking ale.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
images

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Any alcohol can give me a hangover and although I drink ale, I actually find an Ale hangover much worse than a lager one.

When I drink lager it tends to be Spanish beer, not sure if that relevant. I f*cking love Spanish and Portuguese beer.

I also love Harveys but it plays havoc with my back passage. I still associate it with being sick because it was the first alcohol I threw up on.

Those of us old to remember the perfectly acceptable way of controlling under-age drinking will remember there was the odd friendly landlord who told you to sit in the corner, keep quiet and you won't be thrown out.

Unfortunately, I threw up four pints of his finest Harveys on his doorstep.

Doom Bar is my current favourite tipple, although I had a cracking pint of something in Oldham.

Last edited:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Ale drinking not only gives you something tasty and enjoyable to consume, but also is a hobby within itself.

It goes hand in hand with going on Albion away travels, as you can sample and enjoy the ales all over the country.

Drinking lager can't have this sort of interest at all...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Drinking lager can't have this sort of interest at all...

It can abroad, but agreed not in this country. Yep, one of the highlights of away games - having a pint of the local beer.

Something (quite rightly) pointed out to me about Brighton supplying local ale to away fans. Ale drinkers would probably rather sample the local stuff ?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Guiness. Thread Closed

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've tried all different kinds of ale's to wean myself off lager, but they all taste like shit. I like my beer to be cold as well.
I am in no way an expert in anything to do with beers, I just like the taste of lager. Becks is my preference I suppose, but I'm not too fussed.

As for Guiness, f*** me that is disgusting. All down to individual taste though innit.

stuartpeterson

Mar 25, 2011
It should be like this. If you drink ale instead of lager you don't look like a tastless buffoon who makes his drink choices based on mass advertising campaigns rather than actual preference.

As of Tuesday i have been suffering from Gout.

It really is as painful as people say, i've got what can only be described as a "comedy" big toe, it's twice the normal size, bright red and throbs like its been hit with a hammer.

Question is though, which is better for it, Lager or Ale.

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Haven't got time to read everything above, so this may have been covered (and I've banged on about it often enough in previous threads), but...

I think the argument is missing the point. Ale vs Lager is not where the battle lines should be drawn. At the risk of coming over all Stevie Wonder, there's good and bad in all of us, i mean on both sides of the top/bopttom fermented divide...

The real argument is between brewers who give a damn and put effort into making a quality brew, and large corporations who mass-produce some tasteless alcolohic beverage and sell it to gullible punters as high-end beer. Stella are clearly the worst offenders on this front as they persuade people to buy their rubbish by making out it's 'reassuringly expensive' and so must therefore be classy and exclusive.

Tastes in beer do differ and there's no right or wrong answer about which is best as we all have our own view, but some people do need to wise up about letting their palate and tastebuds dictate what they drink rather than being fooled by some slick marketing camapign.

You can apply that same argument to most foods and drinks we throw down our throats...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
agree, Trufflehound. seems alot of snobbery on show, people saying lager is "tasteless" who no doubt have never tried anything other than the commerically prominent brands. this attitude ignores the like of John Smiths in the ale camp. also just because a real ale pub is selling Old Toe Jam, doesnt mean its actualy very good.

people who knock lager purely on the commercial experience should really try Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Erdinger Dunkel, a Marzen, or a Bock. i reckon you'll prefer them to something like a Boddingtons. in fact you'll probably find many good lagers taste not unlike some ales, they often use the same hops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here