Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any advantages to drinking ALE instead of LAGER?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ale is 100% quality, Lager is for chavs.

one disadvantage is to become close minded about "lager", ignoring there's more to lager than Stella and Carling Cold.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I like both ale and lager. Love a good pint of ale and it is my tipple of choice most of the year but come the summer nothing can beat ice cold lager and the taste and smell of a BBQ.

Also I've never been able to find canned or bottled ale that comes close to replicating what you can get in pubs. I've tried lots and none of them quite match up. That doesn't seem as much of a problem with lager.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
one disadvantage is to become close minded about "lager", ignoring there's more to lager than Stella and Carling Cold.

Precisely THIS. There are alot of EXCELLENT continental lagers out there.

Just as much as there are PLENTY of excellent ales as well.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I like both ale and lager. Love a good pint of ale and it is my tipple of choice most of the year but come the summer nothing can beat ice cold lager and the taste and smell of a BBQ.

Also I've never been able to find canned or bottled ale that comes close to replicating what you can get in pubs. I've tried lots and none of them quite match up. That doesn't seem as much of a problem with lager.
this.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Nearest I've found is Fursty Ferret, a very nice bottled ale

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
There are fewer chemical additives in ale, compared to cheap mass produced lagers, therefore ale not only tastes better, but it is better for you.

Entirely dependant on the ale to be fair. Plenty of mass produced ales (Pride, Marstons etc) are chock full of chemicals in order for them to keep longer without going off.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I can't stand Lager. And you get to ask THEM if they're afraid of tasting something. As in a Wychwood advert I saw.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Entirely dependant on the ale to be fair. Plenty of mass produced ales (Pride, Marstons etc) are chock full of chemicals in order for them to keep longer without going off.

Sure. Thats why I said fewer rather than all.

Proper real ale rather than the mass manufactured bitter does seem more pure.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Another thing to throw in. Ale is not to be served tepid. It's a myth that Britain loves warm beer. It should be cellar cool, which means warmer than from a fridge.

A lot of brewers now make golden ales which are partly there to lure in lager drinkers. These can also be served a little cooler.

It's true, there are plenty of decent lagers around, but anyone who seriously believes Stella is a quality beer really has been taken in by some very clever marketing. If you don't believe me, do a blind tasting alongside some other premium lagers like Peroni, Beck's or Sam Smith's Pure Brewed and you'll see for yourself.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Maybe it's your recent birthday, safeway, but it's a sign that you have grown up. OK, not possible (and would we want it?)

I look forward to you joining us old farts at The Evening Star where you can enjoy the delights of the Dark Star brewery.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I like continental lagers and ale/bitter and sometimes I go for a Guinness. Also love red wine and am partial to a good single malt. Does this mean I can look down my nose at all of you?

:jester:

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Absolutely this.

I enjoy both ale and lager in different situations - I've never understood why a lot of people who drink ale seem to have a such a hatred of lager. Just let people drink what they want, it has literally no effect on you whatsoever. Smacks of insecurity to me, like people who hate football because they like rugby.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Like a drop of either to be honest, However i have had some really revolting ales where as even a poor lager is drinkable. As for hangovers i've had them on both lager and ale.

As safeway says he was in Scotland Ale is undoubtedly preferable to Tennants.....

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Deuchars - mmmmmmmmmm good!!

This...from the days when I not only lived in Scotland but also still drank beer, it was one of the best beers I ever drank, really good flavour and went down far too well. It was served in quite a few bars in Edinburgh...but narrowly lost out to Black Sheep, served in one particular bar, in a head to head!

Another advantage, which I don't think has been mentioned yet, is that you are supporting British Brewers by drinking something locally produced rather than imported!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I like real ale but it can be a gamble if it's kept well in some pubs. There's nothing worse than getting the trots at an away match. :nono: My favourite is Doom Bar. Also enjoy Harveys, Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin and London Pride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here