Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

• Total voters

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can easily list 30 STUNNING Beatles songs within a SEVEN year timeframe. I can't do that with any other band.

That does not make them the best band of all time, the fact "YOU" like 30 songs over however long, as much as you may like to think you are god you do not have the final vote :D

Anyway The Stone piss on the Beatles...... Fact :goal:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That does not make them the best band of all time, the fact "YOU" like 30 songs over however long, as much as you may like to think you are god you do not have the final vote :D

Anyway The Stone piss on the Beatles...... Fact :goal:

I didn't say I had the final vote any more than you do?! I think they're the best, you don't. Everyone's happy.

We've got a vote up here, and it's still looking like The Beatles' to lose. Stones were pretty good granted, not a patch of Beatles for me though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To a Beatles fan I am sure they do.

I think Beatles fans are very similar to Micheal Jackson fans.......

In that there are absolutely LOADS of them, for very good reason. Agreed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not at all Mr Mellotron, I just do not buy into the greatest living band hype. People I think look through rose coloured goggles when it comes to the Beatles and forget the dross they put out, maybe it is the John Lennon death and peoples recalling their youth.

It is a matter of taste and I like stuff people would absolutely detest that is life.

I can see why the Beatles can be seen as a bit twee and sugary, in fact Paul McCartney has written some of my most despised music and Ringo's contributions could be seen as extremely cringe worthy but they also produced some truly inspirational music to those who grew up with them.

I cannot bring myself to vote them best ever though as there are so many bands that I preferred then and still do now. The Stones, at the time, were a far more interesting band.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I voted No,

I have no alternative band to suggest but it was more of a protest vote.

I am 25 and obviously didn't see them live, but my partners family are absolutely obsessed. It's this obsession that has led to me going from 'they're alright' to 'yeah quite good' to 'I've had enough now' to 'Shut up about the stupid Beatles, move on'

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
How do you measure, who is the best ?, surely music is very personal and some kids today reckon that 1D are the greatest. I remember in the 70/80's 'Sounds' poll and Bros were voted the best band beating Zep and The Who into 2nd and 3rd place. The Beatles were trail blazers and talented and probably would be voted by people of my age group as the greatest, along with Led Zeppelin. If it simply on sales then these 2 would take some beating.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I voted no
because unless you have seen the stones live why would you vote yes although the Beatles were great (and I did not see them live and have seen the stones live )

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can see why the Beatles can be seen as a bit twee and sugary, in fact Paul McCartney has written some of my most despised music and Ringo's contributions could be seen as extremely cringe worthy but they also produced some truly inspirational music to those who grew up with them.

Another reason I ruddy love them. The BALANCE between John and Paul is perfection, with George and a superb added bonus. Stick Harrison in any other band back there and he would be HUGE in his own right. As it is, he's 3rd fiddle, yet still a musical genius in his own right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another reason I ruddy love them. The BALANCE between John and Paul is perfection, with George and a superb added bonus. Stick Harrison in any other band back there and he would be HUGE in his own right. As it is, he's 3rd fiddle, yet still a musical genius in his own right.

I agree, the feisty attitude ridden Lennon and saccharine McCartney is the most unlikely musical partnership but it really did work. McCartney had a great vocal range and was not a bad bass guitarist either...song writing on his own? 95% SHIT

Yes. Until they went a bit weird.

There were a many influential and historically important bands and singers involved in the change over from music-your-Mum-and-Dad-and-their-Mum-and-Dad-before-them-liked to pop-music-specially-aimed-at-teenagers but nobody more important or influential than the Beatles.

Mind you, they were dead lucky that Steve, Des, Chris and I decided to disband Ben Nevis and the Summits and leave the field clear for them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To a Beatles fan I am sure they do.

I think Beatles fans are very similar to Micheal Jackson fans.......

You couldn't call me a Beatles 'fan', so they sound daft without being one. Similarly, I'm no Michael Jackson fan to appreciate he did turn out a few decent tunes.

Yours is a pathological hatred using reasons that don't mean anything.

'They killed rock & roll'.
'They were a boy band'.
'They jumped on the back of every craze'.

Wot?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yes they clearly they were game changers in respect of taking something that was teenage disposable product and making it an art form.

What is strange that despite the fact I acknowledge and massively respect them for this I don't have single one of their albums. ???

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
A lot of music/sounds they are credited with came from other artists of that generation.

The Yardbirds were far more worthy of being labelled trail blazers than the Beatles.

Which is why they produced 3 of the all time great guitarists.

The Beatles were, IMHO trail blazers of pop music, The Yardbirds, agree re guitar bands, there were lots of bands that started various Genres, Pistols,
Bowie etc, not sure about 1D starting anything useful.

theboybilly

Overrated as a band and overrated individually. I had to listen to their awful 'moptop' nonsense in my youth and by the time of Sgt Pepper other bands had moved well past the Beatles for any sort of quality. There's far too many nursery rhyme-type songs in their library. Truly abysmal stuff like 'I am the egg man', Octopus's Garden' and 'Lovely Rita'....I'm not quite sure how this is all up for debate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not quite sure how this is all up for debate.

Agreed. The poll shows that they are seen as the best band of all time. It's not really up for debate properly, just a bit of fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here